Developer's Debate What is the Best Sounding Digital Synth?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
FathomSynth
KVRian
896 posts since 25 Mar, 2017 from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Post Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:50 pm

There's actually already a comb filter in the processor for the reverb,
so all I have to do is add a four dial panel for it and make it a separate filter.

2.19 will be out later this week.

_al_
KVRist
306 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Re: Fathom New Video

Post Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:50 pm

FathomSynth wrote:There's actually already a comb filter in the processor for the reverb,
so all I have to do is add a four dial panel for it and make it a separate filter.

Great. Hopefully you can release it before implementing the comb or any other features? We really need this!

But anyway, here's some more feature requests: :hihi:
An in-depth comb filter that doesn't bog you down in details.

An example of this is Zebra's comb. It doesn't let you tune individual freqs, but gives you knobs like tune, tone and flavour, which change the timbre in really nice ways, and make you feel you have a really large scope for possibility. (the dissonant mode is particularly awesome)

An example of this done not so well is the Melda comb. It lets you tune the freq of individual filters, the feedback, and even modulate the freqs. With this i find it takes an extraordinary amount of time to get a usable noise out of it.

However, either of those two would be better than a simple freq + res combo.

Also, i'm not sure if you have implemented copy/paste between modules? Or an A/B function?
But these two things, i find really important, and always miss them when not present. They can even be the deciding factor when i'm deciding what synth to use.
With copy/paste, i mean creating a custom shape on a multi-point envelope, and being able to copy it (either to paste onto a new modulator, or just to back it up, to avoid mistakes)

With A/B, i mean making a preset, and copying the whole preset to a "B" section, so we can carry on working on it, without worrying about destroying our latest working version of it. (This also allows us to quickly switch between 2 versions of a preset, with having to load through a menu).

Ok, so those things are things i would be looking for in a supersynth, so i hope some of it resonates with you :hihi:

Saukar30
KVRian
1027 posts since 2 Mar, 2005

Post Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:19 pm

_al_ wrote:
FathomSynth wrote:There's actually already a comb filter in the processor for the reverb,

Great. Hopefully you can release it before implementing the comb or any other features? We really need this!

But anyway, here's some more feature requests: :hihi:
An in-depth comb filter that doesn't bog you down in details.

An example of this is Zebra's comb. It doesn't let you tune individual freqs, but gives you knobs like tune, tone and flavour, which change the timbre in really nice ways, and make you feel you have a really large scope for possibility. (the dissonant mode is particularly awesome)

An example of this done not so well is the Melda comb. It lets you tune the freq of individual filters, the feedback, and even modulate the freqs. With this i find it takes an extraordinary amount of time to get a usable noise out of it.

However, either of those two would be better than a simple freq + res combo.
+1

FathomSynth
KVRian

Post Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:21 pm

I was thinking of just a simple comb filter with feed forward and feedback options, and either a dial for the time delay or perhaps the ability to set the distance between peaks in the frequency domain.

The ability to modulate all the parameters would be built-in.

Nuances such as tone and flavor are abstract concepts and implementing them would require DSP algorithms which I currently do not have access to, and would need to do some research to find.

I will be releasing 2.19 as soon as possible before the comb filter because the new code currently has some very important changes for memory allocation, which everyone needs. I think one more day of testing.

_al_
KVRist

Post Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:15 pm

FathomSynth wrote:
Nuances such as tone and flavor are abstract concepts and implementing them would require DSP algorithms which I currently do not have access to, and would need to do some research to find.
Yeah i guessed that may be the case. I was hoping it was just some kind of macro effect, where he was moving frequencies in a very specific way, and maybe resonating some non harmonic content (tone and flavour in dissonant mode really are quite puzzling, and quite unique).

Anyway, looking forward to thoroughly testing this synth in the mix when the ram is fixed :tu:

_al_
KVRist

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:19 am

:tantrum:

FathomSynth
KVRian

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Version 2.19 Memory Improvements :tu:

Reduced startup RAM to 50% of the previous size.
GUI RAM reduced from 0.325 to 0.150 GB.
Maximum Oscillator RAM reduced from 1.000 to 0.750 GB.
Minimum Oscillator RAM reduced from 1.000 to 0.150 GB.
Total RAM GUI normal reduced from 0.400 to 0.175 GB.
Total RAM GUI resized reduced from 0.675 to 0.250 GB.
Total RAM with minimum oscillator tables reduced from 1.600 GB to 0.360 GB.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FathomSynth
KVRian

Re: Fathom Version 2.19 Released

Post Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Saukar30
KVRian
1027 posts since 2 Mar, 2005

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:22 am

Nice! Thank you very much!

_al_
KVRist

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:40 pm

RAM is fixed, but now the glitches are back, that i was complaining about in the mono version.
Will have a look later and see if i can find a problem. Maybe something in options, but this was previously fixed by switching to MT version (which is now glitching).

Also there is some controls missing in wavedraw module (edge type, partials etc)

FathomSynth
KVRian

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:42 pm

Can you send me the preset xml that is glitching.

And what exactly do you mean by "glitches"?

There are no controls missing for me.

What is your OS, Windows or Mac, 32 or 64, which Host?

mevla
KVRAF
1650 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:05 am

Hello,

As customers, should we get automated messages about updates ?

Cheers.

zzz00m
KVRian
1333 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:25 am

mevla wrote:Hello,

As customers, should we get automated messages about updates ?

Cheers.
You will if you subscribe to this thread!
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

willsavino
KVRist
35 posts since 7 Aug, 2018 from Michigan

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:50 am

Hey, great update! Obviously the RAM stuff is great, but the ADSR changes also address maybe my second biggest concern with this plugin (CPU management is still a drag).

I really appreciate how responsive you are to feedback. This synth is so powerful, especially for the price.

FathomSynth
KVRian

Post Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:07 am

Thanks, CPU will be the top priority for the rest of this year.

I think the micro-tuning feature will go into the next release.

I am planning on doing a release email to everyone who bought Fathom, but I was waiting to see if any bugs are reported back from the field. I need to find out the details for_al_ glitch problem first and fix it if necessary.

Return to “Instruments”