Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

FathomSynth wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:53 am Cool, I'm glad it's working well for you.
A lot of dinosaur hardware synths are bristling with
drumkits. To make the attached loop, I used the new
Purple Mist soundset's Bamboo Boxes preset. Recording live,
I used the UNO hardware synths arpeggiator,
with it's 'what you play gets arped'
setting to play Fathom, and the Alesis QS8 drumkits,
until I found a combo that went well with the Fathom sound,
then changed the arp setting to 'up-down', and 'random', letting it record for 30 seconds or so, and then repeating the process
until I had 6 candidates from which to build the loop.
I loaded the raw track in audacity,
and chose three of the parts, and trimmed and amped them
to become a useful loop for my collection. Named in homage to
Scrubbing Monkees 8) reforestation project 8)

Having the vast range of sounds in Fathom,
the full moon and the new day are full of surprises.

Those latest GPU results: :love: :hyper: :love: :party:

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lastest cmm available in zinio :tu:

edit: the issue below resolved by zinio support 8)
I got my copy, thanks for the heads up!

But filesilo seem to have botched the keywords
used to verify you've got the reader open
and on the right page. One of the pages
they specify is an advertisement :dog:

Maybe google will be lucky :hyper:

EDIT- Used a different browser, different questions
were offered, but same results, phantom headers/pages.

Sent a support request to Zinio, should be
sorted in an IK instant :wink:
Last edited by glokraw on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Worked fine for me...

Additionally, amazingly, FileSilo is really fast today.

edit: got my Fathom issue 268, zinio support were
prompt and helpful.
--------------------------------------

Did you find the answers in the Khords or Twangstrom articles?
I _am_ sober, maybe I need a whiskey :wink:
Last edited by glokraw on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glowkraw, very nice arpeggios, I think Scrubbing Monkeys would approve.
Distorted Horizeon, glad you are still here, I think you were one of the original posters in this thread.
OK, I'm going to go read about Fathom now in the word's biggest music magazine.

As I get deeper into programming Fathom, there are a few little things that would be nice to see if at all possible. I looked through the manual and didn't see anyway to export internal oscillators, or copy modulation settings. Maybe I missed it.

Example:

I created an additive patch with 6 oscillators, then created another additive patch with 8, and realized that 2 of the oscillators in the second patch would sound much better added to the first patch. I couldn't find any way to export the 2 oscillators along with their existing assigned modulators from the second patch so that I could easily import them into the first patch. It took awhile, but having two instances of Fathom opened, I replicated the work instead, and now have 8 oscillators in the first additive patch I dubbed "Fourier's Fantasy".

The second thing ...I made what I think is an awesome ambient reverb effects chain. I tried really hard to recreate an Eventide Blackhole within Fathom using both the Fractal and Pro Reverbs. It would be awesome to have the ability to export either FX settings or chains, or both.

In brief ...The ability to: Copy oscillators along with their assigned modulation settings. The ability to export the same. And the ability to export FX chains and settings. I know you can already copy oscillators, but I haven't figure out how to include the modulations that are assigned those oscillators.

Maybe something like this is already possible, and I missed it, if so I apologize for my ignorance lol. If not, will this ever be possible? Maybe I'm just being lazy LoL I hope that all made sense...

This would give us the ability to make great Fathom oscillator and FX templates we could all share.
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

"Fourier's Fantasy" cool name.

Yes, these are two features which I've been aware of for some time that would be very helpful:

Ability to save Audio Units to file including their modulations.
In Audio Unit Copy category ability to copy the objects and include all the modulations.

I'll really try to get this into the next release.

If you are really desperate not to have to redo something you can actually open up the two preset XML files and copy stuff by hand. You should be able to actually copy and paste entire sections of the XML such as audio unit objects and modulators and modulations from one file to the other. Audio objects, modulations and modulators are all connected using the ObjectIdNumber, ModulatorId and ModulationId.

You should be able to copy the entire <object> in <AudioObjects> as well as the modulator. Just make sure all ModulatorId are not the same and the numbers are go in order. Then just make sure the <object> <Parameters> <Modulations> ModulatorId refers to the intended modulator.

glokraw wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:13 pm Did you find the answers in the Khords or Twangstrom articles?
I _am_ sober, maybe I need a whiskey :wink:
I think it's completely random... i had a question about an article on page 93.

Did you try it again, and see if there's another question?

FathomSynth wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:22 pm Yes, these are two features which I've been aware of for some time that would be very helpful:

I'll really try to get this into the next release.
Thank you! That would be beyond awesome!
FathomSynth wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:22 pm If you are really desperate not to have to redo something you can actually open up the two preset XML files and copy stuff by hand. You should be able to actually copy and paste entire sections of the XML such as audio unit objects and modulators and modulations from one file to the other. Audio objects, modulations and modulators are all connected using the ObjectIdNumber, ModulatorId and ModulationId.

You should be able to copy the entire <object> in <AudioObjects> as well as the modulator. Just make sure all ModulatorId are not the same and the numbers are go in order. Then just make sure the <object> <Parameters> <Modulations> ModulatorId refers to the intended modulator.
I just tried it, and it worked great! I should have realized this becuase lately I've been editing presets for another synth in Notepad+ to add user and genre tags, not to mention in the distant past I used to hand edit .3DS objects for 3D Studio Max ...Very tedious though. Thank you for letting me know this was possible.
FathomSynth wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:22 pm "Fourier's Fantasy" cool name.
Thank's. I ended up having to drop the 2 Newtonian filters, and replaced it with 2 Oberheims in that patch because combined with the reverb it killed the CPU lol When I create a few more I'll share them. So far just smooth ambient pads, as I'm still trying to get the jist of programming fathom. I'm really loving this synth! :D
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

deleted
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

glokraw wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:48 am A lot of dinosaur hardware synths are bristling with
drumkits. To make the attached loop, I used the new
Purple Mist soundset's Bamboo Boxes preset. Recording live,
I used the UNO hardware synths arpeggiator,
with it's 'what you play gets arped'
setting to play Fathom, and the Alesis QS8 drumkits,
until I found a combo that went well with the Fathom sound,
then changed the arp setting to 'up-down', and 'random', letting it record for 30 seconds or so, and then repeating the process
until I had 6 candidates from which to build the loop.
I loaded the raw track in audacity,
and chose three of the parts, and trimmed and amped them
to become a useful loop for my collection. Named in homage to
Scrubbing Monkees 8) reforestation project 8)

Having the vast range of sounds in Fathom,
the full moon and the new day are full of surprises.

Those latest GPU results: :love: :hyper: :love: :party:

Cheers
That was awesome. Very thick sounding

Thanks for the support. I am very honoured to hear Purple Mist sounds at work.

I am also quite jealous. The UNO looks really cool. Is it Juno-esque sounding at all. I may just be confusing names.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Based on videos, and what others have written about UNO,
I'd say that when using a good effects chain or app,
it's sound can be like many synths in general, at least
the ones not heavily based on or using acoustic
instrument samples. And those, it will compliment very well.

I got Syntonik on IK's recent under the radar sale,
so maybe a few years from now, I'll know more
of many legendary synth's unique qualities.
Cheers

viewtopic.php?f=102&t=504160

(UNO topic)

I have three Fathom CMs loaded along with the Pro 2.27 in Reaper,
and they seem fine together. The CM versions each have
a preset from the different commercial soundsets :hyper:
and the gui elements are happy, I'm sure as word spreads,
this issue 268 of Computer Music Magazine will be in high demand.
It feels like Friday night, on thursday afternoon :hihi:

Ah... i missed that you were actually able to get the mag's content now. Good stuff. :)

Return to “Instruments”