Fathom Synth Version 2.28 Released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
nokturnal1979
Banned
78 posts since 16 Dec, 2017

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:20 am

FathomSynth wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:04 am
Fathom CM and Fathom Pro are the same except Pro has the following features which CM does not:

Variable Filter category of 7 filters including the Newtonian Zero Delay.
Save and Load user waves in WAV format for export to other synths.
Fractal Reverb.

Fathom Mono is not polyphonic and CM is.
Fathom Mono does not have either the Variable or Analog Filter categories.

Mono vs Pro features are here.
https://www.fathomsynth.com/monopro

I can't imagine why anyone would not want to subscribe to CM since it has at least 80 free plugins which include most of the best synths in the world such as Thorn, Dune, Synthmaster, u-he Zebra.

Also keep in mind there are several thousand soft synths, and knowing which ones to try is basically impossible without relying on a good review magazine like CM or BPB. CM does all this work for you by showcasing only the ones worth trying.

I can vouch for the fact that they put a lot of effort into this and make the decision based on how good a synth is not just if there is buzz or pretty graphics. Fathom was actually a good example. CM had their eyes on Fathom for a good 18 months before they went ahead with the article and they introduced Fathom to their readers only when they decided that the features and quality passed the bar.

I personally have experienced the agony of spending $500 on a soft synth I ended up not being able to use it because of sound quality issues, and if I had been subscribing to CM at the time I would have avoided this. So imho subscribing to CM is basically a no-brainer.
i got fathom cm and im going to try it out , looks awesome/

and i know what you mean about wasting money , i dont do that any more so i know what you mean , can you name the synth you paid 500 smackers for ?

FathomSynth
KVRian
1023 posts since 25 Mar, 2017 from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Computer Music Magazine Announces Fathom CM

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:38 am

I have a strict policy of never saying anything bad about any competitor so I won't say which synth.

But I will say it certainly was not Omnisphere which is probably over all the best synth ever made. I'm just mentioning that to be clear because Omnisphere is also around $500 and in that case the price is worth it because that is one of the synths that I'm glad I got despite the price and I go back to it regularly because of the insane level of sound quality.

The synth I'm talking about was not particularly bad, it's just I have extremely sensitive ears and if a plugin's sound quality is not very high it gets on my nerves if I try to use it regularly.

:party: Hey, My 1000'nth KVR Post. Woo Hoo!

nokturnal1979
Banned
78 posts since 16 Dec, 2017

Re: Computer Music Magazine Announces Fathom CM

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:04 am

FathomSynth wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:38 am
I have a strict policy of never saying anything bad about any competitor so I won't say which synth.

But I will say it certainly was not Omnisphere which is probably over all the best synth ever made. I'm just mentioning that to be clear because Omnisphere is also around $500 and in that case the price is worth it because that is one of the synths that I'm glad I got despite the price and I go back to it regularly because of the insane level of sound quality.

The synth I'm talking about was not particularly bad, it's just I have extremely sensitive ears and if a plugin's sound quality is not very high it gets on my nerves if I try to use it regularly.

:party: Hey, My 1000'nth KVR Post. Woo Hoo!
well i tell you what the presets sound lush and clean to my ears , ambieticas i cant play because we know u need a good fast pc for his presets lol , but this synth will take me days to learn before i could even begin to make something of my own , im used to the lfo and adsr laid out for me im a bit lost , manual looks intensive aswell and my kids are bugging me maybe next week but it does sound good at first look , and i have sensitive ears also , some presets of top designers in diva hurts my ears

nokturnal1979
Banned
78 posts since 16 Dec, 2017

Re: Computer Music Magazine Announces Fathom CM

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:06 am

are there any basic set up presets ? show u how to lay it all out ?

FathomSynth
KVRian
1023 posts since 25 Mar, 2017 from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Computer Music Magazine Announces Fathom CM

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:37 am

I would ask Scrubbing Monkeys that.

He tends to structure his presets so they perform well as building blocks, more than I do.

Most of my Acid and Trance presets are simply captures of my own experiments done during testing that sounded good.

nokturnal1979
Banned
78 posts since 16 Dec, 2017

Re: Computer Music Magazine Announces Fathom CM

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:41 am

FathomSynth wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:37 am
I would ask Scrubbing Monkeys that.

He tends to structure his presets so they perform well as building blocks, more than I do.

Most of my Acid and Trance presets are simply captures of my own experiments done during testing that sounded good.
u know the initial wavetables sound clean but thats as far as i can get i cant even save the init file as shown in the computer music tutorial, and the undo button dont work maybe a glitch in propellerheads reason i dunno sigh , go shop and buy crap food im depressed :hihi:

nokturnal1979
Banned
78 posts since 16 Dec, 2017

Re: Computer Music Magazine Announces Fathom CM

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:45 am

yep doesn't save , cant rename the file and save it , cant undo i'll give up tonight and eat cookies

FathomSynth
KVRian
1023 posts since 25 Mar, 2017 from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Computer Music Magazine Announces Fathom CM

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:26 pm

First of all there is no undo button in Fathom.

If the host has an undo button it must be saving the Fathom preset state every change,
which is something I have no control over.

Also, saving presets is something that works across thousands of users for a couple years now so there's no way its broken.

When ever users report they can't save presets it is because they have placed the Fathom folder in a portion of their hard drive which is write protected by their Operating System so Fathom can't save to it.

This happens on the Mac OSX if you put the Fathom folder in the system audio folder.

nokturnal1979
Banned
78 posts since 16 Dec, 2017

Re: Computer Music Magazine Announces Fathom CM

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:05 pm

is that not an undo button lol ? and ok that may be the problem so u can place the folder somewhere different to the dll i neber knew ill try that cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nokturnal1979
Banned
78 posts since 16 Dec, 2017

Re: Computer Music Magazine Announces Fathom CM

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:09 pm

FathomSynth wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:26 pm
First of all there is no undo button in Fathom.

If the host has an undo button it must be saving the Fathom preset state every change,
which is something I have no control over.

Also, saving presets is something that works across thousands of users for a couple years now so there's no way its broken.

When ever users report they can't save presets it is because they have placed the Fathom folder in a portion of their hard drive which is write protected by their Operating System so Fathom can't save to it.

This happens on the Mac OSX if you put the Fathom folder in the system audio folder.
ok thanks that worked but a lot of people may not be aware of that problem or have a second hard drive like me , thanks for your help :-)

nokturnal1979
Banned
78 posts since 16 Dec, 2017

Re: Computer Music Magazine Announces Fathom CM

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:35 pm

tbh i think this will be way too hard for me right now , i need a week where i have no people around me at all just locked in a room to learn it , its a shame because i can hear in the presets and the basic wave tables its so clean and sounds like an amazing pro sounding synth up there with the best , its just not for people who are not amassed in knowledge of synthesis , mere singer songwriters trying to learn synthesis and produce like me , ill stick to making basic patches in thor for now , but ill come back to it at some point cheers bro , :-) great work on the sound engine

zzz00m
KVRAF
1799 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Re: Computer Music Magazine Announces Fathom CM

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:50 pm

wetdentist wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:13 am
i've been using Fathom in more and more of my new projects. as someone that likes to use presets as starting points for my own little personal tweeks, i think the preset librarian would be better if it were more like NI's Kore 2, where if i wanted to look at all my bass presets, i would push the bass category & i would be shown all bass presets from all the different banks at once, instead of having to enter each bank separately to check out the bass presets in each bank.
I agree that this suggestion would make the browser much more functional. :tu:

Having it viewable from the top down by instrument categories, or by author, and with possibly a few other tags, rather than by banks, would present a much faster workflow for finding a desired preset.
Windows 10; with instruments from Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

User avatar
Scrubbing Monkeys
KVRian
710 posts since 21 Apr, 2017 from Bahia, Brazil

Re: Computer Music Magazine Announces Fathom CM

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:15 pm

You could place all programs in one folder. Then arrange by category or author or favorite. Not a full librarian but close.

User avatar
AmbieticA
KVRer
20 posts since 8 Mar, 2019

Re: Computer Music Magazine Announces Fathom CM

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:27 pm

nokturnal1979 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:04 am
ambieticas i cant play because we know u need a good fast pc for his presets lol
Yeah, sorry about that. I really don't mean to make the patches so CPU intensive, it's just that my mind "hears" something that seemingly ends up requiring enormous resource amounts. The same thing happen when I made patches for Lunaris. Soren had to write an "Intensive CPU" warning before releasing them with his update lol "Midnight Solitude" should be playable. It only uses 2 oscillators.

My PC specs are PC - i7-4770, 3.40GHz with up to 8 core usage, and 16 GB of RAM with an NVIDIA GeForce GT-640. It's older, but still gets the job done. If yours is at least as fast as that, you might be having problems due to resource usage from your current configuration. I had to "streamline" my beast for Audio to bring it under submission. 8)

Here are some links that might help:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... Windows-10

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... -Windows-8

https://bandzoogle.com/blog/20-ways-to- ... production

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... indows-10/

https://www.musictech.net/guides/essent ... for-audio/

https://www.musictech.net/guides/essent ... io-part-2/
Last edited by AmbieticA on Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

nokturnal1979
Banned
78 posts since 16 Dec, 2017

Re: Computer Music Magazine Announces Fathom CM

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:16 pm

AmbieticA wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:27 pm
nokturnal1979 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:04 am
ambieticas i cant play because we know u need a good fast pc for his presets lol
Yeah, sorry about that. I really don't mean to make the patches so CPU intensive, it's just that my mind "hears" something that seemingly ends up requiring enormous resource amounts. The same thing happen when I made patches for Lunaris. Soren had to write an "Intensive CPU" warning before releasing them with his update lol "Midnight Solitude" should be playable. It only uses 2 oscillators.

I made a PolyRhythm called "Adventures in Hyperspace" today that does use less resources, and can be played in mono if needed, that might work out. Grab it here and let me know:

http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com ... ds/AiH.zip

It uses two sequencers that I'm still trying to sync to perfection. Having trouble doing that even using math, but it's playable atm ...Still a WIP though :)

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention: My PC specs are PC - i7-4770, 3.40GHz with up to 8 core usage, and 16 GB of RAM with an NVIDIA GeForce GT-640. It's older, but still gets the job done. If yours is at least as fast as that, you might be having problems due to resource usage from your current configuration. I had to "streamline" my beast for Audio to bring it under submission. 8)

Here are some links that might help:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... Windows-10

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... -Windows-8

https://bandzoogle.com/blog/20-ways-to- ... production

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... indows-10/

https://www.musictech.net/guides/essent ... for-audio/

https://www.musictech.net/guides/essent ... io-part-2/
Mine has the same ram as yours but a 6 core black series amd phenom 2 😂 but i aint changing it yet , yeah i sold lunaris because it was too powerful , id like to see what u done in ana 2 but i cant afford it , dont be sorry man your good im sorry i havent upgraded my pc yet im really getting into synthesis with thor and tyrell now so im good , this synth is way too hard for me at the moment anyway , a lot of people are commenting its a big learning curve to even get started with programming great presets though and if good deaigners like you are doing free banks i can see a lot of people picking it up just for the presets , dont stop making amazing presets on my account mate im just one guy with an out of date cpu 🙂

Return to “Instruments”