Fathom Synth Version 2.28 Released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
grandmasterbird
KVRist
240 posts since 7 Jan, 2007

Post Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:44 pm

An undo function would in my opinion make a very good addition to a future update

FathomSynth
KVRian
1023 posts since 25 Mar, 2017 from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Computer Music Magazine Announces Fathom CM

Post Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:59 pm

Yes, Undo Buttons are in the works.

:phones: Version 2.28 Released - Just Bug Fixes.

AmbieticA
KVRer
20 posts since 8 Mar, 2019

Post Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:04 pm

FathomSynth wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:59 pm
Yes, Undo Buttons are in the works.

:phones: Version 2.28 Released - Just Bug Fixes.
Awesome ...Got the update! I do have a question about updating on a PC. When updating, which files/folders can I get away with not overwriting? I'm assuming the DLL's, along with the Modulators folder is a must. And backing up the Programs folder (including "FathomUserGui.xml"), is wise? Or can I just overwrite the DLL's alone and call it good?
nokturnal1979 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:16 pm
Dont be sorry man your good im sorry i havent upgraded my pc yet ...dont stop making amazing presets on my account mate.
Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate that :)
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

FathomSynth
KVRian

Re: Fathom Synth Version 2.28 Released

Post Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:41 pm

There were no changes to the presets between 2.27 and 2.28.

Generally the factory presets tend to improve gradually over time as old ones are replaced and new ones added.

This is especially true of my own presets in Acid, Trance and Piano.

So it's best always to use the latest Fathom folder with all the presets. However, if you changed any of the presets yourself then you may want to avoid overwriting them and losing your work by saving your edited presets to a different folder.

nokturnal1979
Banned
78 posts since 16 Dec, 2017

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:27 am

FathomSynth wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:41 pm
There were no changes to the presets between 2.27 and 2.28.

Generally the factory presets tend to improve gradually over time as old ones are replaced and new ones added.

This is especially true of my own presets in Acid, Trance and Piano.

So it's best always to use the latest Fathom folder with all the presets. However, if you changed any of the presets yourself then you may want to avoid overwriting them and losing your work by saving your edited presets to a different folder.
Ambieticas should be intergrated into your synth . Great ambient sound designer

Chris-S
KVRAF
2635 posts since 10 Nov, 2013 from Germany

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:40 am

Hi,
can Fathom CM load Fathom patches?

How many presets are included in Fathom CM?

FathomSynth
KVRian

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:27 am

Yes, Fathom CM can load all Fathom Pro presets.

Both Fathom Pro and Fathom CM have over 500 presets, which are the following banks:

60 Acid
80 Ambient
50 Bass
120 Modern
30 Piano
50 Techno
170 Trance
560 Total

Fathom Pro Adds 260 presets:

230 International
30 SQ80

You can also purchase the following professional preset banks:

60 Aggressive Edges
40 Mountian Climber
50 Purple Mist
30 Science Fiction
32 Solidtrax Bass
212 Total

FathomSynth
KVRian

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:43 am

AmbieticA, Hi. I finally got a chance to visit your website:

http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

And played through your new 10 Lush Ethereal Ambient Pads for Fathom.

I'm really impressed by the quality of your work!

I'm hoping you can keep up that quality level across the rest of your planned presets. Please let me know when you get up to around 32 presets and we can talk about posting your bank for sale on Seaweed Audio. I do a 50/50 split for my sound designer banks on the web site and we do not take any cut at all for the same banks sold also on your own channels. Your work would go perfectly included in the "Film Score Bundle" preset bank along side the Scrubbing Monkeys and Solidtrax presets specially made for film score composers.

NeoKortex88
KVRist
102 posts since 3 Dec, 2018

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:26 pm

FathomSynth wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:38 am
I have a strict policy of never saying anything bad about any competitor so I won't say which synth.

But I will say it certainly was not Omnisphere which is probably over all the best synth ever made. I'm just mentioning that to be clear because Omnisphere is also around $500 and in that case the price is worth it because that is one of the synths that I'm glad I got despite the price and I go back to it regularly because of the insane level of sound quality.

The synth I'm talking about was not particularly bad, it's just I have extremely sensitive ears and if a plugin's sound quality is not very high it gets on my nerves if I try to use it regularly.

:party: Hey, My 1000'nth KVR Post. Woo Hoo!
i read somewhere Omni uses the UVI Framework on which Falcon is based upon.
Really u think Omni sounds so great? What do you think about Dune3? Alchemy? Falcon?

As af fellow software engineer iam going to buy fathom pro just to support you. Impressive work. Iam not sure how i would start if i wanted to make my own synth :D

pigfront
KVRist
55 posts since 20 Sep, 2010

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:11 pm

Hello,
I have problems with automation and MIDI CC controlers. They use non linear values? and not work correctly, especially if learned to MIDI controller. Fathom knobs and MIDI controller knobs works unequal, especially in first half of circle. Can you make it more linear?

FathomSynth
KVRian

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:08 am

Neo, Thanks for your support. Yes Omnisphere has great sound and also the best sample library I've ever seen. Of the other three you've mentioned Dune 3 is probably the best. Dune has an exceptional sound that is hard to describe. You can create the big EDM dance club sound with Dune. They are doing something very unique in the basic sound engine. I would download their demo to try it.

Pigfront, sorry you hare having trouble. The scale of the MIDI control depends on which dial you are assigning it to. Could you post a little more detail? Which dial?

pigfront
KVRist
55 posts since 20 Sep, 2010

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:48 am

Sorry for my English, but I try to explain. For example, I making simple patch 1 osc + filter and trying automate filter cutoff in my DAW (Renoise) and have assigned cutoff to my MIDI controller knob. I turn knob to quarter circle and Fathom cutoff knob turned up about half circle, they not work linear. Same with native automation slider in Renoise. It's difficult set precise values, it's look like Fathom have some exponential envelopes on knobs. The same results goes, if I trying assign MIDI controller inside Fathom to cutoff knob. Others synths I tried, working normally.

After some research :) I noticed it work ,like I wrote, only on cutoff in filters, Tried randomly others parameters, they work normally
Last edited by pigfront on Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

NeoKortex88
KVRist
102 posts since 3 Dec, 2018

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:56 am

FathomSynth wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:08 am
Of the other three you've mentioned Dune 3 is probably the best. Dune has an exceptional sound that is hard to describe. You can create the big EDM dance club sound with Dune. They are doing something very unique in the basic sound engine. I would download their demo to try it.
Yeah i got Dune 3. Its 2019 and they still dont have a preset browser where you can chose favourites and no drag&drop modulation. But that sound though! Just love the shit out of it :love:

FathomSynth
KVRian

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:15 pm

There is definitely something unique about the Dune oscillators.

I'd give anything to know exactly what they are doing in the DSP. It is more fundamental than effects or detuning. It has something to do with how they are constructing the partials at a very basic level. But understandably its probably a closely guarded secret.

Pigfront, All Fathom's frequency dials are modulated linear on the frequency and this includes all host automation. It only looks like it is non-linear because the Dial ranges have a non-linear display around the dial. For instance if you modulate a filter cutoff dial on Fathom using host automation and the cutoff range is 10 Hz to 20,000 Hz and the host signal goes from zero to one, the frequency will glide linearly from 10 to 20,000 Hertz in direct proportion to the host signal.

In Fathom 3.0 you will also have the option of modulating the filter frequency dials using a log scale including host automation.

This is probably what your ears are searching for since most synths use a log scale for filter frequency. For instance if the host signal goes from zero to one the frequency will go from 10-exp(2) to 10-exp(4.3) linear by the exponent. This produces a perfectly linear frequency glide according to the perception of human hearing.

AmbieticA
KVRer
20 posts since 8 Mar, 2019

Post Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:11 pm

FathomSynth wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:43 am
AmbieticA, Hi. I finally got a chance to visit your website:

http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

And played through your new 10 Lush Ethereal Ambient Pads for Fathom.

I'm really impressed by the quality of your work!

I'm hoping you can keep up that quality level across the rest of your planned presets. Please let me know when you get up to around 32 presets and we can talk about posting your bank for sale on Seaweed Audio. I do a 50/50 split for my sound designer banks on the web site and we do not take any cut at all for the same banks sold also on your own channels. Your work would go perfectly included in the "Film Score Bundle" preset bank along side the Scrubbing Monkeys and Solidtrax presets specially made for film score composers.
Wow, thank you, I appreciate your kind words, and really glad you liked the patches! I always keep the same quality, and strive to outdo the patch I made previously. I also always create sounds I would actually use in a mix ...Quality and unique timbre's are important to me.

I am also equally if not more impressed by Fathom itself. A lot of synths out there are very basic, and I've always found myself running into brick walls with an idea for a patch I've wanted to create. But not with Fathom! In fact quite the opposite. I feel like there are so many options and details in this synth that I've started to realize my once was "brick wall", is now an infinite synthetic sonic horizon. The only main feature I can see that is missing in Fathom would be the ability to import, loop, and process entire wave samples through the architecture, (like field recordings). But that's like asking for a cherry, when you already have the whole cake lol

I'm just really glad you liked the patches! I'm honored you would even think about including my work in a "Film Score Bundle". And I will definitely let you know when I reach around 32 or so patches. Not sure how long that will take. I sometimes spend a day or two on one patch because I can be so "nit-picky" over the smallest sonic details. Then there are times when I have a great sounding patch in an hour lol :D
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

Return to “Instruments”