Fathom Synth Version 2.28 Released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
FathomSynth
KVRian
1023 posts since 25 Mar, 2017 from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:49 am

AmbieticaA, Yes, please keep me posted on your progress. Then we'll get your stuff to Fathom's users.

Someone asked me a very interesting question in a PM so I decided to post it here.

The question is what are currently the 10 very best software synths on the market.

This is seemingly an almost impossible question to answer since there are so many good ones now, especially recently. However I do have an opinion about this. So here's my list of the top 10. This is purely by sound quality, not by features.

1. Spectrasonics Omnisphere
2. uhe Diva
3. Synapse Audio Dune 3
4. DSAudio Thorn
5. Lennar Digital Sylenth
6. XFer Records Serum
7. Vengence VPS Avenger
8. SynthMaster
9. Reveal Sound Spire
10. uhe Zebra
11. SWA Fathom

Couple comments.

It's not very objective to put Fathom in the list, but hey man, it's my list, so why not.

Also, I'm aware that the feature set and interface of VPS Avenger and Serum are far and away beyond anything else on the market, maybe even more than Omnisphere. However I'm going purely by my own subjective opinion on the actual sound of the oscillators. So despite the fact that Serum and Avenger also happen to have killer sounding oscillators I had to place them just after Dune, Sylenth, and Thorn. The reason being is that there is something strangely analog and metallic in those three and that DSP magic puts them just a sliver ahead in terms of sound. Many people would put Sylenth ahead of Dune and Thorn, but Dune and Thorn have recently made massive additions to their software so its only fair to give them extra points for staying on the cutting edge all things being equal. Finally, most audio developers will tell you that Omnisphere and Diva are without a doubt in the top positions. I personally like Diva the best of all but Omnisphere has a virtual encyclopedia of analog synth samples so it's only fair to be objective, also interestingly their basic oscillator saw tooth is the best I've ever heard.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

NeoKortex88
KVRist
102 posts since 3 Dec, 2018

Re: Fathom Synth Version 2.28 Released

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:04 am

Thx for the list!

Did you listen to Falcon? I have read over and over again that Omnisphere is based on the UVI Code which is both the basic for Falcon and Omnisphere. Could this mean they should sound the same sonically?

Kozmyk
KVRer
3 posts since 25 Oct, 2018

Re: Fathom Releases Master User Feature Request List

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Yay ! for KVR's Search within Search (polyphony + change).
The Very answer I was after.
Much scratching of head occured when trying to edit a Mono preset to add some Polyphony.
Glide must be off - Got It :phew:
I've only had Fathom for a month.
The Freebie Mono version inspired a track straight off so I Had To get the Pro.
It was only right.
FathomSynth wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:24 am
I think for the mono issue you probably have Glide turned on which forces it to mono
even though the polyphony is turned up.
The glide setting is just to the right of polyphony
on the global panel.
I admit this is very confusing and it will be fixed when I have time
to change the glide mode so that it glides for chords as well as mono notes.
That is planned for an upcoming release but requires some work.

Until then having glide on must force it to mono.

AmbieticA
KVRer
20 posts since 8 Mar, 2019

Post Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:50 pm

Hey guys, I'm unsure if this has been posted here yet, but if it has, it's worth re-posting at any rate. Scrubbing Monkeys made an awesome tutorial that shows you how to split sounds on your keyboard. With this method you could create an entire Percussion section using Fathom's Oscillators. I just watched it, and I'm in the process of splitting a few Oscillators as I type this, so I'm going to drop this here and split lol :lol: Have a nice night :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wF8Q4ecLsM
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
2245 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:16 am

I would guess that this method eats up CPU for all the silent notes as if they would be playing... I‘d rather split it differently (on the Midi level)...

SciFiArtMan
KVRian
1073 posts since 24 May, 2006 from Our Amazing Oasis in Space - USA Section

Post Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:01 am

That Multi-Zone Key Tracking feature is really nice! I don't believe I have any other soft-synth with that extensive key tracking feature (I don't have a huge collection of flagshippers). The video seems obvious, but it's good to see a quick demo to remind and explain its use! I'm so impressed with all the little (and big) feature you're constantly bringing to Fathom! :tu:

All the best!

Scrubbing Monkeys
KVRian
710 posts since 21 Apr, 2017 from Bahia, Brazil

Post Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:12 am

SciFiArtMan wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:01 am
That Multi-Zone Key Tracking feature is really nice! I don't believe I have any other soft-synth with that extensive key tracking feature (I don't have a huge collection of flagshippers). The video seems obvious, but it's good to see a quick demo to remind and explain its use! I'm so impressed with all the little (and big) feature you're constantly bringing to Fathom! :tu:

All the best!
That was one of the first things that blew me away. I dont think there is anything else that can do it unless Uhe Ace and Bazille mod envelope can be note specific.

SciFiArtMan
KVRian

Post Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:56 am

Wonderful video, like all your videos (and sounds), Scrubbing Monkeys! Thanks so much!

Scrubbing Monkeys
KVRian
710 posts since 21 Apr, 2017 from Bahia, Brazil

Post Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:14 pm

SciFiArtMan wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:56 am
Wonderful video, like all your videos (and sounds), Scrubbing Monkeys! Thanks so much!
Thank you!

That really means alot to me.
Glad to see my lifeless monotone voice didn't put you in a coma

I have some more coming up. I actually did one this week on the land restoration project. I need to redo the dialog due to wind noise but hope to get it up in a few days

SciFiArtMan
KVRian

Post Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:09 pm

Oh, I may have misunderstood! Your lifeless, monotone voice puts me right to sleep every time (and that really good, deep sleep too!). I thought that was the point! I've totally been misusing your video postings! But when it works - it works! Thanks again! :)

wetdentist
KVRist
465 posts since 19 Jan, 2008 from Bethlehem, PA USA

Post Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:04 pm

:tu:
Last edited by wetdentist on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 10, Maschine 2.7 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Melodyne 4 Studio, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EHX Synth 9, EXH Superego+ etc

] Peter:H [
KVRian
718 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:41 am

@FathomSynth
Here's just a little toy patch I want to share. I'm setting up a new system...after installing fathom...the rest of the installation procedure got a bit delayed because I got stuck fiddling around and having fun with Fathom ;-) Honestly I've to admit, that I haven't used Fathom for a while and it's great new stuff there...the mixer, Fractal Verb. Wow!
Only one remark - After adding quite a few Modulators I wasn't able to at the last one I wanted, because the GUI went out of space. I can see that a menu opens up, but all but some pixels in hight is covered by the bottom editor pane :-(
Anyway find attached a sequence of patches reflecting kind of my session with fathom, the patches are a series of evolutions. And for the Bitwig users I have added a BW 2.5.1 RC4 projekt file as well. Nothing special, only a very tiny seuence to demo the patch

Fathom Rocks!

---
If you like check out my fathom tracks - One is linked from the Fathom Website
Second, that was may Fathom warm up WiP. One year old - man hwo greatly Fathom improved in only one year!
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/fath ... 01/s-Fc4Jt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
2245 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:19 pm

Did you create The Bitwig project on windows? Bitwig Mac is missing the plug-in though I have it installed... Do they have different UIDs, or the different builds have a different UID???

KVRian
718 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:46 pm

Tj Shredder wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:19 pm
Did you create The Bitwig project on windows? Bitwig Mac is missing the plug-in though I have it installed... Do they have different UIDs, or the different builds have a different UID???
Yes Windows...and I think I have used the High Performance Version DLL of Fathom. Is it called FathomHT? I fail to remember... Probably this is why the plugin does not load. Anyway - the "project" is not woth any hazzle. It's only a gimmick, a short simple loop.

FathomSynth
KVRian
1023 posts since 25 Mar, 2017 from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Post Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:29 am

] Peter:H [, [Hi], That's a great track, very eerie, you should write music for science fiction movies.

I don't have any problem adding modulations past the end of the right side window. You can just scroll them using the mouse wheel. I hope you have a mouse wheel. I'm not sure what someone would do without a mouse wheel.

In a future release I do plan on adding page buttons on that window.

Return to “Instruments”