Fathom Synth Thread

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
jbraner
KVRian
918 posts since 8 Jan, 2003

Post Wed May 08, 2019 9:53 am

Can Fathom open wavetables in .WAV format?
If so - here's a tool to build wavetables
https://oceanswift.net/wavetabler/

FathomSynth
KVRian
1096 posts since 25 Mar, 2017 from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Fathom Synth Heavenly Biquad Variable Slope Filter

Post Wed May 08, 2019 11:56 am

:phones: Scrubbing Monkeys,

OK, Thanks for the CPU info. After SIMD it will be even better, actually 8X better.

:phones: JBraner,

It can't (yet) load an entire wave table from a single WAV file with wave chunks. However in the future I will be making it able to load entire tables from Serum format WAV files.

Also, if you simply drop your 16 WAV files into a single folder and select the first one and hit the Load Table button it will load all 16 WAVs as a Wave Table. See the User Guide.

:phones: Willsavino,

I don't think that's the case.

I just tried it, if you initialize it then it will fill it, maybe you are meaning something different by "initialize" than hitting the wave draw panel Init button.

This should be simple if you visualize what you are doing.

If you touch a wave then it's dirty.
If you initialize it or load it then it is clean and will be filled.

Filling does not change the clean or dirty state of anything.
If you hit Fill repeatedly you should get the same result.

I'll will check this again to verify, but I'm pretty sure.

jbraner
KVRian
918 posts since 8 Jan, 2003

Re: Fathom Synth Heavenly Biquad Variable Slope Filter

Post Wed May 08, 2019 12:25 pm

It can't (yet) load an entire wave table from a single WAV file with wave chunks. However in the future I will be making it able to load entire tables from Serum format WAV files.

Also, if you simply drop your 16 WAV files into a single folder and select the first one and hit the Load Table button it will load all 16 WAVs as a Wave Table. See the User Guide.
OK thanks - but for Willsavino, if that utility is any use to you (there's a manual on the website), maybe you can save out the individual wav files, after you build a wavetable (?)
Then just drop them in a folder like like FathomSynth says...

User avatar
AmbieticA
KVRist
36 posts since 8 Mar, 2019

Re: Fathom Synth Heavenly Biquad Variable Slope Filter

Post Wed May 08, 2019 3:59 pm

jbraner wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:53 am
Can Fathom open wavetables in .WAV format?
If so - here's a tool to build wavetables
https://oceanswift.net/wavetabler/
Oh Cool! Thanks for that link. I had been using FM Wavetable Studio: http://glowshrimpsoftware.com/sfmwts.html , Audio Term: https://www.wusik.com/w/index.php/produ ... audio-term , and Wavedit , http://synthtech.com/waveedit . But never knew about Wavetabler. I'm going to have to try that out. Just looked at the manual, and it looks a lot easier then a couple of the mentioned Wavetable generating apps. Sweet! :D
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

zzz00m
KVRAF
1829 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Re: Fathom Synth Heavenly Biquad Variable Slope Filter

Post Wed May 08, 2019 5:27 pm

I think the plan to use Serum format wav files for tables is good. There are already a ton of those wave tables freely available, and the SynthMasters can import those as well. Since it isn't really a proprietary format, finding an editor should be easy. Waveedit is fairly user friendly.
Windows 10; with instruments from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, UVI, Vember Audio, Waves, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

FathomSynth
KVRian
1096 posts since 25 Mar, 2017 from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Fathom Synth Heavenly Biquad Variable Slope Filter

Post Wed May 08, 2019 6:12 pm

Yes, the Serum format is becoming the world standard, especially since the Serum and u-he guys are friends and agreed to make their wave table formats consistent.

There's a thread on it here somewhere.

I think they save 1024 waves 2048 samples each in WAV chunks in a single WAV file.

I was a little bit unclear though on exactly what the internal WAV format is and how it can be parsed, if anyone could help me dig up that info, I would program it sooner than later.

User avatar
AJYoung
KVRist
249 posts since 19 Aug, 2014

Re: Fathom Synth Heavenly Biquad Variable Slope Filter

Post Wed May 08, 2019 6:38 pm

Correction: Serum saves up to 256 waves, 2048 samples each.

This discussion might be relevant, as both Steve and Urs are discussing the format, and Steve gives an example of the clm chunk of a Serum wave file. It's a few months old, but I imagine still relevant:

viewtopic.php?p=7266103#p7266103
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

FathomSynth
KVRian
1096 posts since 25 Mar, 2017 from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Fathom Synth Version 2.31 Released

Post Wed May 08, 2019 9:03 pm

:phones: Fathom Version 2.31 Released

www.fathomsynth.com/updates

3X CPU Efficiency Improvement on the Fractal Reverb unit.

User avatar
Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
1942 posts since 17 Jan, 2017 from Planet of cats

Re: Fathom Synth Version 2.31 Released

Post Wed May 08, 2019 10:50 pm

FathomSynth wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:03 pm
:phones: Fathom Version 2.31 Released

www.fathomsynth.com/updates

3X CPU Efficiency Improvement on the Fractal Reverb unit.
Update bought :phones:

jbraner
KVRian
918 posts since 8 Jan, 2003

Re: Fathom Synth Heavenly Biquad Variable Slope Filter

Post Thu May 09, 2019 3:19 am

AmbieticA wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 3:59 pm
jbraner wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:53 am
Can Fathom open wavetables in .WAV format?
If so - here's a tool to build wavetables
https://oceanswift.net/wavetabler/
Oh Cool! Thanks for that link. I had been using FM Wavetable Studio: http://glowshrimpsoftware.com/sfmwts.html , Audio Term: https://www.wusik.com/w/index.php/produ ... audio-term , and Wavedit , http://synthtech.com/waveedit . But never knew about Wavetabler. I'm going to have to try that out. Just looked at the manual, and it looks a lot easier then a couple of the mentioned Wavetable generating apps. Sweet! :D
I think the OceanSwift on ejust came out this week ;)

creditflats
KVRer
1 posts since 19 Nov, 2017

Re: Fathom Synth Version 2.31 Released

Post Thu May 09, 2019 11:32 am

A lot of network diagram software ( e.g. MSProject, TurboProject) is using right right mouse click to bring up menu that includes delete of link, or delete of item. That would ease workflow ( i'm thinking of delete links, items and slats) . Please include in the suggestion box.

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
8689 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Re: Fathom Synth Heavenly Biquad Variable Slope Filter

Post Thu May 09, 2019 11:39 am

FathomSynth wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:12 pm
Yes, the Serum format is becoming the world standard, especially since the Serum and u-he guys are friends and agreed to make their wave table formats consistent.

There's a thread on it here somewhere.

I think they save 1024 waves 2048 samples each in WAV chunks in a single WAV file.

I was a little bit unclear though on exactly what the internal WAV format is and how it can be parsed, if anyone could help me dig up that info, I would program it sooner than later.
There can be a header (it is defined in Serum format) but it doesn't have to, AFAIK. The wavetable can as simple as a file with several waves, all of 2048 samples, up to 256 (but it can have just two, for example) and a loop defined on the first wave cycle.
Fernando (FMR)

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
8689 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Re: Fathom Synth Heavenly Biquad Variable Slope Filter

Post Thu May 09, 2019 11:41 am

jbraner wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:19 am
AmbieticA wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 3:59 pm
jbraner wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:53 am
Can Fathom open wavetables in .WAV format?
If so - here's a tool to build wavetables
https://oceanswift.net/wavetabler/
Oh Cool! Thanks for that link. I had been using FM Wavetable Studio: http://glowshrimpsoftware.com/sfmwts.html , Audio Term: https://www.wusik.com/w/index.php/produ ... audio-term , and Wavedit , http://synthtech.com/waveedit . But never knew about Wavetabler. I'm going to have to try that out. Just looked at the manual, and it looks a lot easier then a couple of the mentioned Wavetable generating apps. Sweet! :D
I think the OceanSwift on ejust came out this week ;)
It is very limited, at least for now. You can't even listen to the wavetable, which I think is a severe drawback. Audio-Term and WaveEdit are much better (and they are free).
Fernando (FMR)

jbraner
KVRian
918 posts since 8 Jan, 2003

Re: Fathom Synth Version 2.31 Released

Post Thu May 09, 2019 10:17 pm

Oh OK - I hadn't tried it. And I hadn't heard of the other ones.
I just use Serum 😉
(for wavetable editing)
Last edited by jbraner on Fri May 10, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amram
KVRian
630 posts since 12 Jan, 2013 from Foolish Shepherd = God

Re: Fathom Synth Heavenly Biquad Variable Slope Filter

Post Thu May 09, 2019 10:41 pm

deleted

Return to “Instruments”