Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
FathomSynth
KVRian
1258 posts since 25 Mar, 2017

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:58 am

It's fine, really, he's absolutely right.

Lempface
KVRist
163 posts since 29 Nov, 2004 from Beyond the Realms of Death

Re: Fathom Synth Development Thread

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:04 pm

Biscotto wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:56 am
Lempface wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:51 am
courtjestr wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:39 am
Lempface wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:31 am
courtjestr wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:24 am
Lempface wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:29 am
Unfortunately I cannot continue to support this product. My confidence that I won't be left w/o future support and updates has been shot by the consistent messaging that the company is near folding, begging for sales, and the final straw was the recent outburst over piracy.

I wish all at Seaweed the best, but for me Fathom will sit on the shelf.
That is fine but why did you bother posting this? If you really wished all at Seaweed the best, you could have just slipped quietly into the night without your discouraging words.
To let them know why they've lost my business.

EDIT: Perhaps they can use that knowledge to alter their messaging to save themselves more losses.
And you couldn't have done that privately?
I don't see how that is necessary, the dude freaking exploded and made a snap decision without any care for how that decision would effect those that tried to support him. Just voicing my opinion.
Actually you are the one freaking out.
Btw, opinions are usually asked....
Heh, nice post! The fanbois coming outta the wood work to defend bad behavior, neat!

kgdrum
KVRist
337 posts since 12 Sep, 2005 from NYC

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:15 pm

RPH wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:51 am
FathomSynth wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:29 am
The license installer will be a one button press.

And I'll make sure I talk to uhe before the new system is deployed.

Can someone please post the link again to that long thread which describes the uhe license system.
Think it's this one, check second comment in the thread from Urs.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=472847&hilit=Copy+protection
Hi Everett,
I'm glad you're continuing with Fathom and Seaweed Audio, I will update Fathom when I get back to work.
Please contact U-he, hopefully Urs and company can suggest some good ways to protect your line moving forward.
that's a fascinating thread.
Here is Urs in another thread talking about some ways he battles piracy: viewtopic.php?p=6335302#p6335302
2012 Mac Pro,3.3 GHz 6 core 32g ram,OSX10.12.6,RME FF UCX, DP9.5, Great River ME-1NV preamp,a few microphones,UAD2, K10U,U-he,Omni,many other VI's & plugins, Vdrums,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata conditioners/cords, multiple hard drives..eSATA

Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
2609 posts since 17 Jan, 2017 from Planet of cats

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:16 pm

FathomSynth wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:58 am
It's fine, really, he's absolutely right.
Maybe time to setup that closed group too, and keep some part of the chat there? :tu:

glokraw
KVRAF
7038 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:20 pm

Lempface wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:04 pm
Heh, nice post! The fanbois coming outta the wood work to defend bad behavior, neat!
Nobody supporting Fathom has been 'in the woodwork', and the quality of what we as customers have purchased and continue to enjoy, was never jeopardized,
nor will be by unforseen events. Putting Fathom on a shelf is one kind of
no-brainer :dog: while purchasing it at the very attractive price,
is a very different and more productive kind of no-brainer :hyper:

Purchasing the upcoming Fathom vector update, will be yet another level
of synth/sound dollars extremely well spent :party:
Cheers

dandezebra
KVRian
1223 posts since 21 Dec, 2013 from USA

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:21 pm

Granted, it was bad behavior Everett succinctly apologized for. Which you failed to mention at all. Whatever. Seems like you are trying to get some drama back. Opinions are fine though as the dev pointed out. Your "fanboi" post will be taken as immature by many though.

courtjestr
KVRist
102 posts since 25 Aug, 2018

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Lempface wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:04 pm
What fanbois? I was not defending bad behavior. Everett had already admitted his behavior was unprofessional and apologized and committed to changing long before your post arrived. I am willing to give him another chance. You are not and that is okay but I cannot see your post doing anything other than drive people away.

Lempface
KVRist
163 posts since 29 Nov, 2004 from Beyond the Realms of Death

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:26 pm

Jumping on me for expressing my concerns about the behavior and saying I can't continue to support the project due to it is the only thing continuing the drama here. This was not my intent though, my point was made and received by the dev, which was the intended consequence. Now again I wish Seaweed all the best, hopefully over time they can earn my (and others like me) trust back.

This will be the last I have to say on this matter as it is not my intent to continue any drama or drag Seaweed through the mud, just simply to state why I can't support the project at this time.
Last edited by Lempface on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cthonophonic
KVRist
324 posts since 1 Jan, 2018

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:27 pm

BlackWinny wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:08 am
FathomSynth wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:20 am
The new system only communicates with the server during installation when the license is created, it does not communicate with the server at any time during normal operation.
Hmm... beware: if you use this method you risk to find on the warez sites from now not the installer files... but now simply zip files which contain all the product already installed and to simply unzip. Therefore it would not change anything compared to the current situation.
Wouldn't that require that the files in the zip already be cracked? Most copy protection would still perform some kind of check against a persistent and unique identifier (like a registry key or machine ID), right? That information could not be contained in a simple zip file, so those checks would fail unless there was some way to spoof or bypass them (i.e. a crack).

Anyway, I'm glad to see that Fathom is still going. Looking forward to the AVX updates!

kgdrum
KVRist
337 posts since 12 Sep, 2005 from NYC

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:36 pm

a question for Everett: If a user wants to update Fathom to the last pre AVX version after you go w/ the AVX update, will the pre-AVX versions still be available for users that have computers that don't support AVX? (2012 MacPro)

Thanks
2012 Mac Pro,3.3 GHz 6 core 32g ram,OSX10.12.6,RME FF UCX, DP9.5, Great River ME-1NV preamp,a few microphones,UAD2, K10U,U-he,Omni,many other VI's & plugins, Vdrums,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata conditioners/cords, multiple hard drives..eSATA

FathomSynth
KVRian

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Folks, please let's move on from the former discussion, his point is valid since companies obviously have to conduct themselves professionally or face loosing users. Obviously this is especially true in audio software since so much depends on long term support and long term feature development. I accept that.

However, our thread has already attracted enough attention lately so I would really rather lurk under the radar for a while.

So let's return to purely technical discussions.

Don't worry about the license system. I will make sure it is easy and it will only be for Fathom Vector not Fathom Pro.

There will be a private group to beta test the new system.

So if you want to be a member please send me a PM.

Please don't join if your only input will be "I'm not using it if it changes". Obviously we need licensing and we have to make the best of that.

Yes Fathom Pro without Intel AVX will still be available and will not require any changes to licensing.

Hink
Rad Grandad
29104 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:53 pm

I would say moving forward seems like a good idea :tu:
Albert Einstein may have been a genius but his brother Frank was a monster

Aloysius
KVRAF
24488 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from the Land of Soy

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:54 pm

+1 for iLok
Hi-de-Hi!

plexuss
KVRAF
3320 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:07 pm

Aloysius wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:54 pm
+1 for iLok

+2

Are you saying that Fathom Vector AVX will not work on non-AVX machines? :dog:

FathomSynth
KVRian

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:27 pm

Intel AVX provides access to special registers in the processor which are 256 bits wide which is 8 floating point values wide.

Instructions operate on all 8 floating point values at once, thus the theoretical possibility of an 8X multiply in speed. Likewise the registers can also be used to operate on 8 x 32 bit integers at once.

Intel AVX was the next generation of their parallel register architecture after SIMD and introduction of the AVX register exists in all modern Intel processors starting several years ago.

In the unlikely event that someone is running an Intel processor so old that it does not have AVX then Fathom will still run fine just like before, it just won't be running 8 times as fast using the AVX registers.

Fathom reads the hardware profile to detect if AVX is present or not and adjusts its audio processor accordingly.

Same applies for Mac machines. Computers which are not running an Intel processor will still run fine, they just won't call the AVX routines.

Return to “Instruments”