Fathom Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
FathomSynth
KVRian
1461 posts since 25 Mar, 2017

Post Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:40 am

"you call Fathom Vector now Fathom?"

I'm sorry, I have no clue what you are talking about.
Please ask your question again and be specific.

"Fathom" refers to the entire product line which all share the same audio engine.
"Fathom Mono" is monophonic.
"Fathom Pro" is the polyphonic version without Intel AVX.
"Fathom Vector" is the new advanced product with Intel AVX, Metamorphic Oscillator, Fathom FX.

WasteLand
KVRian
1034 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:45 am

FathomSynth wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:40 am

"Fathom" refers to the entire product line which all share the same audio engine.
"Fathom Vector" is the new advanced product with Intel AVX, Metamorphic Oscillator, Fathom FX.
in your last post you mentioned Fathom version 3.1 is released.
i distillate from the post i quoting now, this is for all versions.

the confusing part: in the last sentence of your post:

"Tomorrow I will send out download emails to everyone using Vector."

perhaps because it only applies to vector? and we are back again by my confusement.

so are Fathom updates the same for all versions (and work depending on the license)?
EDIT: the free updates, not for example the update to pro 3.
win 10 pro; cubase 10.5 pro, live 10 suite+push 2, reaper, reason 11 suite, bitwig studio 3, maschine mk3+jam, arturia V collection 7, korg collection, komplete 11 ultimate, softube modular, VM, meldaproduction etc.
https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

zzz00m
KVRAF
2163 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:13 am

FathomSynth wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:40 am

Where does Fathom Pro 3.0 (+ AVX) fit in, and how do we update it to the v3.1 release?
Windows 10; with instruments from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, Arturia, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, UVI, Vember Audio, Waves, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

mcbpete
KVRAF
1752 posts since 24 Jun, 2006 from London, England

Post Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:59 pm

zzz00m wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:13 am
Where does Fathom Pro 3.0 (+ AVX) fit in, and how do we update it to the v3.1 release?
It sounds like we were meant to get an email a few days ago ... I checked my Spam inbox but nothing there either.

FathomSynth
KVRian

Post Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:07 pm

Yes version 3.1 is released.
https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates
Fathom Pro 3.1 is available on the web site.

Yes version 3.1 applies to all four versions of Fathom:
Fathom Mono 3.1 (Available Now)
Fathom Pro 3.1 (Available Now)
Fathom Pro AVX 3.1 (Email Download Soon)
Fathom Vector 3.1 (Email Download Soon)

Due to security issues Fathom Pro AVX and Fathom Vector updates are only available by direct email. I am getting those emails out as fast as I can but there was a delay due to a technical issue. I had to figure out how to send a broadcast email to thousands of users. Emails will go out soon.

Anyone wanting the AVX or Vector update quicker can just email me directly at support and I will reply with the download link. As always your email has to match the purchase if you want the link.

El°HYM
KVRian
533 posts since 21 Nov, 2015

Post Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:11 am

FathomSynth wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:06 am
I just created a free Metamorphic Sample Pack.
https://www.fathomsynth.com/banks

You can load those into Fathom Mono, Fathom Pro, and obviously AVX and Vector.
Is this still available, the link seems missing a file now?
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

THK
KVRist
251 posts since 25 May, 2001

Post Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:10 am

FathomSynth wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:07 pm
Yes version 3.1 is released.
https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates
Fathom Pro 3.1 is available on the web site.

Yes version 3.1 applies to all four versions of Fathom:
Fathom Mono 3.1 (Available Now)
Fathom Pro 3.1 (Available Now)
Fathom Pro AVX 3.1 (Email Download Soon)
Fathom Vector 3.1 (Email Download Soon)
I can't find a download link for Pro 3.1 ?!?
Am i missing something?
I already upgraded to version 3.0

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
4705 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:18 am

Do I have to pay each point update for pro (non avx)? Thats what isn‘t clear for me. I don‘t see an download option for 3.1 pro, only „purchase the lates upgrade“... I would be fine with that, its just not clear...

El°HYM
KVRian

Post Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:27 am

*edit* somehow misread it and mixed up the different versions. Then let us just wait for more info from the Developer. Fathom 3 is being pretty great so far.

FathomSynth
KVRian

Post Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:49 am

I agree, if you purchased 3.0 you should not have to purchase 3.1.
Just email me directly for the download link.

El°HYM
KVRian

Post Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:24 am

Very generous!
Thank you.
:phones: :tu:

FathomSynth
KVRian

Post Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:51 am

No problem. Thanks so much for buying the upgrade it is a huge help for future development.

OK, Emails just went out for all Fathom Vector users.

So Fathom Vector users can now download the 3.1 upgrade for free.

It includes the new Fathom FX.

Do not worry about your email receiving update messages. This is only done for a major release and is very infrequent. So far about once a year. Obviously anyone who wishes to get upgrades only manually can send us an unsubscribe email and we keep an updated list of do not disturb emails which do not receive the update notice.

Emails for all pro users will go out tonight since there are several thousand and I only want the server to be busy after hours.

El°HYM
KVRian

Post Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:44 am

Would it actually be possible to add a feedback - loop into the efx - chain? I know this is a kind of dangerous - request; yet also makes sense, regarding whats already there. Ableton has solved this pretty good & safe, as you need to know that its there and for what it is used. Just an Idea, after trying to create an endless Reverb, using multiple Instances of those. Which is fun! :phones:

FathomSynth
KVRian

Post Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:02 pm

You're right, too dangerous. There is no way to absolutely guarantee the impossibility of an amplitude explosion. I won't be responsible for anyone loosing their hearing.

Fathom actually has extreme safe guards against anything like this happening even if high volumes are attempted through the host input. It won't allow it. Fathom has hearing protection at every possible layer, output of all oscillators, output of all units, input to all units, master output, host input, all possible buffers are cleared to zero before use. It won't allow anything which could even remotely cause any danger to someone's ears, and that will not change.

Allowing any signal to become it's own input is absolutely out of the question.

When someone puts their headphones on with my software running that is a sacred trust and I take it extremely seriously and I will never mess with it or experiment with it.

If you are after some sort of infinite regress this can easily be achieved using the mixer, 16 channel digital delay and all the different reverb units including especially the fractal reverb. The 16 channel delay can route any channel into any channel so you could if you so desired create a 16 stage delay which is quite a bit beyond any effect you would get with feedback. In addition the 16 channel delay monitors all possible signal paths and always protects your ears by simply cutting off the input to a channel if it contains its own output. This means you can connect channels at will with reckless abandon without ever being in fear of hurting your ears.

El°HYM
KVRian

Post Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:59 pm

I have to agree, especially using Headphones this could cause serious problems. Using the feature in Ableton or Bitwig, the first thing to do is put a safety - limiter on the Master, as even without this could easily Blow up your speakers, too! The 'digital' noise will build up until it becomes a messy cloud (kind of) in Moderation, this can be a very useful Sounddesign tool, yet also (like you said) can cause serious Damage. So All of your Points are absolutely Legit & understandable. I did already get some decent Results with cascading multiple Reverbs, so will try that Tip with the 16 Stage Delay out and it is also true that Fathom is already very capable of creating endless Pads & Drones, in its own way for sure. Many thanks for the explanation & insights about the Audio - routing and safety Guards you implemented & the reasons for that.

Return to “Instruments”