Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Here is a different test, used Asio and DirectX drivers. A bit more extreme then playing some notes on a MIDI keyboard.
An empty Fathom instance, added the basic waveforms and started sweeping with my mouse cursor thru lots of notes.
It goes wrong when moving thru the black keys. Volume drops and I get lots of clicks, graphics also slows down a lot.
I have a NVIDIA 980GTX graphics card.

The video: https://rhmodules.nl/temp/Fathom-test.mp4
Please do a right-mouse click and save-as.

Did you try turning off predict cpu load?

I thought this was a manual play of notes.

If you are using a software entry for midi notes and playing a hundred notes per second you will absolutely for sure overload Fathom and create distortion and clicking.

I'm not sure I understand what exactly you are trying to do here, is this a stress test?

Yes, that didn't change the outcome. Or anything noticeable.

I'm not playing hundreds of notes, the first case was using one hand to play random NEW notes. And I found out it's not all of my new patches doing this.
Did the test you pointed out with adding notes in a sequence until 32 poly and my CPU says 18% max. So, that's not the problem. And no clicks / cracks or whatever.

In the second test, with the mouse pointer, it's just one note at a time. Sliding up and down, but the clicks only happen while over the black notes.
The video shows that, and shows the CPU usage.

I'm trying to report strange behavior I'm getting in Fathom, for which I have no answer why it happens.
But never mind, it's OK. For some reason my point is not understood. Wasting our time by this isn't needed.

Cheers.

RPH wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:47 pm
In the second test, with the mouse pointer, it's just one note at a time. Sliding up and down, but the clicks only happen while over the black notes.
The video shows that, and shows the CPU usage.
RPH, sorry to bother you even if you said you've done with that. But i was very intrigued with your posts because i understood you are using reaper hosted virtual midi keyboard with the mouse to play fathom ? (Sorry your video is unavailable, so i could'nt check)

To reproduce your problem, one would just need this from the start :
- your midi file containg your MIDI recorded actions
- a Fathom default patch in which the problem arises.

I suspect the visual keyboard to send a bunch of notes while you "slide" over it.

I tried it and recorded my midi while "sliding", on the reaper midi keyboard, downwards through a black key. The record gave : 26 notes for 1 second of vertical sliding over a black key ! This is nearly the 8bit chip-music arpeggios :)
So the visual midi keyboard is not meant to be slided around with multi-voice synths.

Even if I got all wrong, you should do that : record your midi, and observe reaper event list, or publish your midi here.

Hi Askoan,

Thanks for your post, I'll record some MIDI like you said and check the events. Interesting.
Not sure why my video isn't available, here is a new link and zipped If you still want to see it: http://rhmodules.nl/temp/Fathom-test.zip

Edit: And after updating my NVIDIA graphics drivers to the latest version, the clicks seem to be gone in my patches and when sliding thru the virtual keyboard in Reaper....

Hi, sorry to be away so long. I'm here at the support email every day but I had not checked KVR since there were no posts for a long time.

Yes, that would explain it if you are dragging the mouse and getting a lot of note messages per second. That will definitely overload Fathom. I don't think there is anything that could be changed to fix that.

Just as an update I'm currently working on a GUI designer for Fathom Vector which will allow the user to create any color and texture for any panel or graph including an color gradient. It will be available in a couple weeks.

With lots of new synths and sales, it's easy to get distracted. But Fathom is like an unguarded candy shop, with great sounds, and uncharted capabilities, so eat hardy, and become delusional. The mp3 is one sound from WagTunes fun Alien Tehnology set, I bumped up the glide a wii bit, while munching :wink:
Fathom-Wags.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Our friends at Solidtrax just made a new Fathom demo using the Trance Warehouse bank.

https://soundcloud.com/solidtrax/warehouse-drifter

Absolutely wonderful guys. Stay warm and safe up there.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

TranceWarehouse just makes ya wanna dance :hyper:
(and you'll be glad there's no zoom thing happenin here :hihi: )
Warehouse-Jig.mp3.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This has been a great year for new and improving instruments and effects. For me, Fathom maintains it's place above the clouds, and rewards experts (which I am not) as well as those who keep a high trajectory for the long run. The clip is all Fathom.
Fathom-Furioso.mp3.zip

glokraw wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:01 am This has been a great year for new and improving instruments and effects. For me, Fathom maintains it's place above the clouds, and rewards experts (which I am not) as well as those who keep a high trajectory for the long run. The clip is all Fathom.

Fathom-Furioso.mp3.zip
Thumbs up! Nice sound. It could be the intro to a nice spacey ambient track.
And good to see some activity around Fathom.

Glad you like the tune, gotta blame it all on Fathom :hihi:

Finally get a snow-weekend, nothing but synths and kindling
and toasty warm coals :love:
Here's another Fathom sound that always catches my fancy:
Don't_Be_Cheetah.mp3.zip

Am I right it currently isn't possible save the waveform created using the Metamorphic OSC to disk?
To get it out I figured I need to record it.

The metamorphic OSC is such a powerful tool to make unique waveforms, either to be reused in Fathom (wavetable OSC / Metamorphic OSC) some other VST supporting wavetable loading.

RPH wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:18 pm Am I right it currently isn't possible save the waveform created using the Metamorphic OSC to disk?
To get it out I figured I need to record it.

The metamorphic OSC is such a powerful tool to make unique waveforms, either to be reused in Fathom (wavetable OSC / Metamorphic OSC) some other VST supporting wavetable loading.
I guess you're right, you have to record it.

Because you have mentioned wavetables ... if you're running at 44,1 Khz then when you sample the note F0 (- some cents) it will get you exactly 2048 samples per cycle
Math behind: 44100 sample per second / 2048 samples per cycle = 21,53 cycles/second which is very close to F0 which is 21.827 cylcles/second. So you have to slightly detune the oscillator. Going this way may give you the best results, otherwise you have to let the synth do some resampling magic.

Why 2048 samples? 2048 samples is the definition of the length of a single slot in a wavetabe used by Icarus 2 and Serum and most other Wavetable synths.

But one comment - One tiny little problem I have with the Metamorphic OSC is that it's not really modular. It's a hugh brick which offers many, many thing in just one block. But when talking about a modular synth, than I rather have simple small modules in my mind which can be combined in any fashion the user wants... I mean, how can I move the distortion to another place in the signal chain? Currently I cannot, right?

Anyways - Fathom is a beast. I like it a lot! I have not seen a single other synth that has this "leave on cycle out" feature which is incredibly cool.

Return to “Instruments”