Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

RPH wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:28 pm
jocphx wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:04 pm Hi,
Fathom is featured on kvraudio.com front page, and advertising for sale at KVR's marketplace for $32.00 but I cannot find anywhere what is the version of Fathom that is being sold for $32.00. Is it the Pro, or is it the Vector?

Thanks.
I think it's for the pro version, Vector is more expensive.
That would have been my hunch if the Pro version wasn't selling for less ($25) on the developer's site.
I have the FathomCM and I was hooping to get my hands on the Vector...

Yes, Fathom Pro is sold on KVR.
Fathom Vector is only available on the company website.

https://www.fathomsynth.com/news

Thank you for clarifying.

I forgot to mention another feature request: symmetric/a-symmetric (pulse) width modulation of all the basic waveforms.
Tried to do it with morphing from the basis shape to the one I want, but that doesn't give me the same sound using e.g. metamorphic Osc waveform parameter.
(Morphing from A to B goes a certain way that I don't expect (different morphing methods would also be nice)).
Using the wavetable Osc does work, but requires some work to set up the first time.

Can give an example if needed.

True pulse width modulation can be performed in Fathom using the Wave Table and in Fathom Vector in both the Wave Table and directly in the Metamorphic Oscillator using the Pulse Width dial. Using the wave table you can modulate the pulse width in three ways, hard edges toward the middle of the waveform (true pulse width modulation) or gradual edges toward the middle or toward one side.

In Fathom Vector you can also modulate the pulse width and compress toward the center or compress it to the left or right.

If you are having trouble you can post the preset and I will show you.

PulseWidth1.JPG
PulseWidth2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pulse width modulation is probably not the right way to describe what I mean, I do know where it can be found with the wavetable or metamorphic OSC.
Think it's more morphing from waveform A to B.

I've added a test project.

- Left one is a metamorphic OSC for the triangle, below a wavetable OSC with what I want. Left table is triangle to saw 1, right is triangle to saw 2.
- Right one is a metamorphic OSC for the sine, below a wavetable OSC with what I want. Left is sine to sharkfins 1, right is sine to sharkfins 2 (lack of a better word).

Set all wavetable indexes to 8 for the maximum shape
Compare it to the metamorphic OSC and tweak the Expand in shape.

Triangle2Saw:
Triangle2Saw.gif
Triangle2Saw2:
Triangle2Saw2.gif
Sine2Sharkfins:
Sine2Sharkfins.gif
Sine2Sharkfins2:
Sine2Sharkfins2.gif
Hope this makes sense.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'm sorry, I feel like I joined in the middle of a conversation and have no frame of reference. I don't understand if the gifs above are the good case or bad case or how they are related to what you are trying to do. Could you back up a bit and just tell me what exactly you are trying to do.

I was trying to recreate the width control used in pigments to morph the triangle waveform to a saw waveform.
Could not get the same result using the Metamorphic OSC, because it transforms not as expected, but with some work using the Wavetable OSC in Fathom.

This is what I want, correct behaviour, but then algorithmic in the Basic OSC and Metamorphic OSC as a function.
The gifs in my previous posts show correctly what I am after, for triangle and for Sine.
TriangleSaws.gif

This is what happens using Metamorphic > Oscillator page > Waveform parameter going from Waveform A (triangle) to Waveform B (Saw)
Which is not what I want. The transform is wrong.
TriangleSaws-Metamorphic-WaveA2B.gif

Using the Metamorphic OSC > Shape menu > and then Expand function.
It does the width control, but squeezes the waveform too much both ways so we lose the body (low end is gone).
TriangleSaws-Metamorphic-Expand.gif

Wavetable Triangle-Saws for reference:
Wave Table 3._._._.0.Wave Table.xml.zip
Wavetable Sine-Sharkfins for reference:
Wave Table 5._._._.0.Wave Table.xml.zip
Example project with tables used:
RPH-TriangleSaws2._._.Vector.8.Program.xml.zip

PS: When I save my wavetables, often the first time it doesn't save all indexes. The basic shapes get nulled.
I have to load the saved wavetable, set the basic shapes again. Save the table a second time. Then after reload it's fine.

Example wavetable with the null index 8 and 9:
Wave Table 4._._._.0.Wave Table.xml.zip

You can't modulate wave points horizontally while keeping the same vertical position. You can only modulate between waveforms. Modulating partials will create the same audio as what you are describing.

Fathom CM 2 hey? Any pointers or hints at any new surprises coming up? Or do we have to wait for 3rd Nov for all it's goodies?
Does this mean anything else new coming soon for Pro and Vector too?

3.7 is coming out soon and will include Spectral Morphing.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
바보

FathomSynth wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:00 am 3.7 is coming out soon and will include Spectral Morphing.
yeah!! :tu: :party: me like! me like!!

Fathom CM2 was just released with a tutorial in the December issue of Computer Music Magazine and they interviewed our CEO on page 8.

Also, version 3.7 will be coming out shortly and it will contain Spectral Morphing which we now have working. You can modulate any zone of component harmonic partials individually in a waveform with any modulator and target either the partial amplitude, phase or frequency or all three at once.

The CPU is better than we thought and so you will be able to apply the partial modulation to three out of eight detune voices. As a matter of fact it sounds really cool to apply it to some voices and leave the others clear. It will be included in the oscillators Additive Spectrum, Wavedraw and Metamorphic. It also features both free timing by the second or audio rate timing tied to the oscillator cycle. Not sure if this will make sense but you will now be able to create that signature "F" sound of a hardware synth using Fathom and it is almost completely alias free because it is being applied to the pure partials individually.

Computer Music Magazine.JPG

Very cool, congrats on the release of the CM 2 version of Fathom.
Will definitely read the interview soon!

Return to “Instruments”