Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

I am experiencing odd behavior (or seems odd to me) when using two OSCs in series.
The factory patch "AM Frequency Articulator" shows a good example of this.
If you disconnect the first OSC from the second, the AM FM section of the first OSC switches the synthesis from AM to none.
Why does it switch off?
Reconnecting the OSCs does not switch the AM synthesis back on. It goes from none to FM synthesis.
The user can manually switch the AM back on prior to reconnecting the OSCs, but then once connected it switches the synthesis of the first OSC from AM to FM.
Why does it do that? Why can't it just stay where I, the user set it?

Also is there a way for the user to set the default modulators from multiply to bipolar(or either of the other two)? Of the four choices available I would be least likely to ever use multiply.

Final thing while here, would it be possible to alter the name of the free mono version relative to the paid poly version of Fathom as the names for both are the same in my Reaper VSTi list. Probably unusual for people to have both installed I admit. But if the free mono Fathom is ever used in the KVR OSC challenge it could get confusing.

Thanks.

BTW, really liking the synth so far overall.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

instant buy :love:

carrieres wrote:instant buy :love:
One of the most original modular synths ever !
:party:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Carrieres, BW, Thanks!

Nordickvr, A MAC OSX AAX and Audio Units release is planned. But it will be later this year. I want to get a few more critical features in before I do that.

ErikH, Yes, SM is correct, the releases are not delta’s like IL2 Sturmovik, each release stands alone and is self-sufficient.

SM, Also on the list is the ability to save and load envelopes.

Frostline, Part of what you found is a bug and part is intentional.

When you disconnect AM FM oscillators I wanted them both to change back to non AM or FM mode, because leaving each individually in the single carrier modulator AM or FM mode would alter the sound without telling the user and it could be even more confusing (for some users) than not changing it.

However, you did find a bug in terms of reconnecting the two oscillators, in which case they really should return to the last connected state, which could be AM, instead of always going to FM. I will fix this in the next release.

Changing the default modulator type is do-able. In the future I plan on adding a settings page with all sorts of stuff like this. In the meantime, if you want, I can add a setting to the Fathom.xml configuration file which you can set, and it will always chose the default you want.

I'm willing to consider renaming the DLL's depending on user needs. The advantage of using the same name is that people do not need to re-invoke the plugin on song tracks which were originally done while using the mono version.

But I’m always open to suggestions.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hello Everett !

You should receive an augmentation of the downloads of the mono version and of the purchases of the poly version in the next days from France... I've boosted the advertising on the French Audiofanzine website today. It seems that many people had never heard of Fathom on Audiofanzine... Now it's done.

Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Very Cool! Thanks!

FathomSynth wrote:New Fathom Video

https://youtu.be/9grYacknfV8
Inspiring!
바보

Thanks!

People, I need more demo songs for the web sites.

Remember "Fantaisie-Impromptu", an experiment to you might be a masterpiece to someone else!

For curiosity, why does cpu usage change this much?

First Am chord from third octave (see the cpu usage)
41.jpg
Second Am chord from second octave
8.jpg
And that same Am chord from fourth octave had 25% cpu usage, at fifth octave it was around 15%

I'm having so much fun with this synth that I even forget to make any music :hyper:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Distorted Horizon wrote:For curiosity, why does cpu usage change this much?

First Am chord from third octave (see the cpu usage)
41.jpg
Second Am chord from second octave
8.jpg
And that same Am chord from fourth octave had 25% cpu usage, at fifth octave it was around 15%

I'm having so much fun with this synth that I even forget to make any music :hyper:

I get this sometimes but its not cnsistant and I cnt reproduce it. Could be a Reaper thing for me. When it happens I try to isolate it bug its quite random. Does this happen even after clsing and reopen Fathom?
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

OK, I'll take a look at this today.

Over the past few months, at least for me on Ableton, the cpu usage is fairly consistent +/- 5%.
But that's because Ableton has the most solid VST interface and almost never deviates
from 512 host bytes per block at 44K.

Host's which deviate wildly in block size (Reaper, FL Studio) make it very difficult to
make block measurements which impacts the CPU calculation.

But I'll see if I can improve my algorithm.

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2017/08 ... nthesizer/

Pointed them to your plugin, today a review appeared :D

FathomSynth wrote:
Host's which deviate wildly in block size (Reaper, FL Studio) make it very difficult to
make block measurements which impacts the CPU calculation.

But I'll see if I can improve my algorithm.
Hi,
I have also been having CPU issues over the week-end.
So I did a little test just to see if it was something in my Reaper system.

I created a midi item to get 16 note polyphony.
I then set up various tracks playing that midi item 3 times.
The synths used were set to similar type patches (a sustaining pad type with some modulations).
I used 5 instances of Xhip, 5 instances of SMOne, 5 instances of Beatzilla and 1 instance of Fathom. I don't have any "monster" CPU eating synths like say Diva or Diversion, so I just picked 3 I had available that I thought might make the CPU work a bit. I was obviously wrong to consider Xhip for this.

The graph below shows the CPU effect of the various synths.
From left to right along the graph it is 3 loops of the synths in the order of Xhip, SMOne, Beatzilla and Fathom.

Xhip barely made the graph move.
SMOne is the first noticeable set of 3 humps in the CPU graph.
Beatzilla made the PC work a bit harder.
But remember the above were 5 instances of each synth playing the 16 note polyphony all simultaneously.
The final 3 humps are just one instance of Fathom and it is not a very complicated patch as can be seen in the screenshot. Now granted having the Fathom GUI open probably has a slight additional impact, but I have not noticed a significant different CPU effect between GUI closed and open.

What is most noticeable to me is the RT CPU vs the overall CPU usage in the graph.
Only Fathom causes the RT CPU to move and it comes near to maxing out (at 100% RT the audio stutters/glitches etc).

Is there anything I can set in Reaper to allow Fathom to use less RT CPU?
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

RPH, Dude, I owe you many beers.

I just read the review and its amazing, what a great review!

It's a huge deal for an instrument to be reviewed by Bedroom Producers Blog magazine,
so this is a major step for Fathom.

A word of thanks is in order for many of you who have spent so much valuable time
and patience testing Fathom and getting it to this point, and this shows what a critical role
the KVR web site, officers and members play in launching a new product.

Thanks!

Edit: Frostline, Great testing! Please see my full response next page.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”