Best Heavy Metal Drums??? (EZDrummer 2 Purchased)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've got so many drum products...

Battery 4
Drumica
Studio Drummer
Abbey Road 60s Drummer
EWQL Ministry Of Rock 2
EWQL Fab Four
EWQL Stormdrum 2
MTDrummer

None of them are doing it for me.

So what's the best drums out there for heavy metal? If it's an all around great drum kit period, that's a plus but not a requirement.

Thanks
Last edited by wagtunes on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toontrack owns that particular area of the game.

EvilDragon wrote:Toontrack owns that particular area of the game.
Question: Do they have customizable mic locations? Can I do overhead mics?

Maybe not the best, but it's just great for anything :
http://www.analoguedrums.com/products/blacksmith/

Recent made sample sound :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIBLuMl_BWY

Cheers...

wagtunes wrote:
Yes, they have multiple mics recorded, overheads, room, individual kitpieces, etc.

You can go with EZdrummer for less tweakage, or Superior Drummer for full-blown drum mixing studio. There are a number of expansions geared towards metal drums (I have all of them)... best listen to demos and see which one gets you where you wanna go.

Satan

EvilDragon wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Yes, they have multiple mics recorded, overheads, room, individual kitpieces, etc.

You can go with EZdrummer for less tweakage, or Superior Drummer for full-blown drum mixing studio. There are a number of expansions geared towards metal drums (I have all of them)... best listen to demos and see which one gets you where you wanna go.
Okay, when you say multiple mics "recorded" you essentially mean if I want to get that big overhead sound but also want to get that close thud for the kick, I'd have to layer an overhead sample with a close mic sample, correct?

In other words, it's not a simple process, like with Pianoteq (pianos) where I can assign as many mics as I want and put them at any distances from the piano as I want. This is without a doubt the most amazing mic system I've ever seen in a product. It's nothing like that, correct?

Metal isn't a style that I typically make, but I've got Superior Drummer (w/most expansions), EZ Drummer, Steven Slate Drums, Addictive Drums, EWQL StormDrum 2, FXpansion BFD2 and Eco w/many expansions, plus various NI drum libraries, and a few others. If I was going to make metal, I'd definitely be going straight to Superior Drummer with the Metal Foundry SDX (which I have) and/or Metal Machinery SDX (I don't have), or possibly Steven Slate Drums. But, I wouldn't rule out EZ Drummer or Addictive Drums as both are very capable, cost less, and are very quick and easy to use.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

The way it works in the real world: a spot mic (tops, one per drum), st. overhead (usually cardioid x/y) and maybe another 'ambient' st. pair, is emulated in the thing. The character of a mic for the spot task may differ than the OH or ambient pair(s), as well as be a single mic and not a pair. So, the idea of it is not so much a bunch of mics, abstractly, where all there is is you choose a distance. Some knowledge is preferable.

wagtunes wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Okay, when you say multiple mics "recorded" you essentially mean if I want to get that big overhead sound but also want to get that close thud for the kick, I'd have to layer an overhead sample with a close mic sample, correct?

In other words, it's not a simple process, like with Pianoteq (pianos) where I can assign as many mics as I want and put them at any distances from the piano as I want. This is without a doubt the most amazing mic system I've ever seen in a product. It's nothing like that, correct?

Nonono, not like that. Pianoteq has that system because it's fully modelled. Drums are usually samples, so you get various microphone positions already recorded, you just mix their volume levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3fWBbKXlGQ

kinwie wrote:Maybe not the best, but it's just great for anything :
http://www.analoguedrums.com/products/blacksmith/

Recent made sample sound :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIBLuMl_BWY

Cheers...
I love that song. Well done!
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Okay, what exactly is the difference between EZDrummer and Superior Drummer? Hard to tell from the descriptions on the sales page.

What can Superior Drummer do that EZDrummer can't do and how often would I need something like that IF I wanted the most authentic sounding drum parts as possible?

EZdrummer has preprocessed and compressed samples, ready to fit in the mix, SD has uncompressed and unprocessed samples, takes longer to tweak them to fit in the mix. That's the major thing. EZD has already set up effects (different per preset) that you can mildly tweak, SD gives you the effects and you can assign them however you want and tweak them, create busses, etc.Also SD usually offers more mic signals to play with. EZD is all about fast workflow, it's for songwriters. SD is for producers.

Was going to say this. You want Superior Drummer. Don't even waste time with the cheaper product.

I think he should go with EZD. He's a songwriter before being a producer. SD2 takes a lot of effort to get the raw drum samples sounding tight in the mix. EZD gets you there REALLY fast.

Return to “Instruments”