Halion 6 & Absolute 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

martinjuenke wrote:Is a dongle needed for Halion?
I'm pretty sure H6 was the first to allow the soft license. However, I have a dongle so can't confirm. Sorry.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Dongle = no go!

martinjuenke wrote:Dongle = no go!
actually it goes great with a dongle :)

Looks like it's still tied to the dongle.
EDIT: funny, the FAQ says dongle only, but I have a communication from Steinberg saying soft and hard are supported. I thought I remembered getting that, but couldn't find it right away.

EDITEDIT: Just tried to move my license to the softkey. No go.

SJ_Digriz wrote:It looks like Halion relies on the host implementation of Note Expression to do per voice in this manner. I'm trying to think if there is a multi-channel way to do this or not.
EDIT: Just for completeness, Halion can assign incoming CC messages to modulation destinations. It's the "per voice" part that is in question. If you are inside Cubase, the answer is yes. Standalone or in a non-NoteExpression host, it doesn't look like it.
I appreciate you checking it out, thanks. It is really strange that Halion receives pitch bend on different midi channels and bends individual notes with that, yet it does not seem to recognize cc messages on different midi channels to modulate per note.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: I appreciate you checking it out, thanks. It is really strange that Halion receives pitch bend on different midi channels and bends individual notes with that
hmm... that isn't per voice though is it?

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote: I appreciate you checking it out, thanks. It is really strange that Halion receives pitch bend on different midi channels and bends individual notes with that
Yes it bends the notes per voice in real time when receiving from an mpe controller (or from bitwig note pitch automation). But it does not react at all from incoming midi cc per voice/channel.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
actually it goes great with a dongle :)
Don't forget the splash of soda and lime! :hihi:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
Yes it bends the notes per voice in real time when receiving from an mpe controller (or from bitwig note pitch automation). But it does not react at all from incoming midi cc per voice/channel.
Interesting, I don't have an MPE controller so it's hard to test this kind of thing. So, stand alone with a ROLI, you can per voice bend? Or, via MPE in Bitwig? I'm surprised it works outside of host. But, hey glad at least something works :)

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:
Interesting, I don't have an MPE controller so it's hard to test this kind of thing. So, stand alone with a ROLI, you can per voice bend? Or, via MPE in Bitwig? I'm surprised it works outside of host. But, hey glad at least something works :)
I tested with the touch screen note grid in bitwig which rotates channels but also with mpe note automation in bitwig with the Halion vst3. I don't have a roli seaboard but I'm sure it would work the same. I'm trying to ask Strindberg and bitwig about this but not getting very far. Bitwig claims that it supports vst3 note expression but it doesn't seem to be able to do anything other than mpe controls. Getting support from Steiberg is a nightmare.

Maybe I'm missing something...just looking for a note on random modulation source?

Not time based...just note on...

any tips?

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Looks like it's still tied to the dongle.
EDIT: funny, the FAQ says dongle only, but I have a communication from Steinberg saying soft and hard are supported. I thought I remembered getting that, but couldn't find it right away.

EDITEDIT: Just tried to move my license to the softkey. No go.
It is softwate key or hardware dongle, but like all elicencers protection, one you put it on the hardware dongle you can’t yake it off (so if you go soft, you can never put it on the usb elicencer or if you do, you can’t go soft again)

.....I know, I think it’s odd as well!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

jobinho wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:Halion 6, going under the radar?? Explain.
Yes, no reviews, no real interest compared to Omnisphere - Falcon etc.
There will be a review of HALion 6 in the next issue of SoundBytes Magazine.

I got Absolute 3 in the recent sale. Just starting to dig into it now.
It's the first time I've used Halion, but have had Kontakt for a while.
I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been more threads about it.
So far, it seems like it can cover a lot of ground.

felis wrote:I got Absolute 3 in the recent sale. Just starting to dig into it now.
It's the first time I've used Halion, but have had Kontakt for a while.
I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been more threads about it.
So far, it seems like it can cover a lot of ground.
Halion 6 / Absolute 3 is way underrated imo. I have lots of other plugins (Komplete 11, Arturia V, Omnisphere/Trillian, Serum, Sylenth1, VPS Avenger, Maschine, Hybrid 3 and some others) but I find myself going back to Halion and related plugs all the time. Halion is a BEAST. I love it for sampling and it's wavetable/granular osc and it's analog osc sounds nice, warm and fat.

It's a super deep program too but also accessible if you just want sounds (Halion Sonic).

Couple of things I wish Halion did better were easier UI to navigate and much better modulation options. The other thing that annoys the f*ck out of me is I have a USB licenser that I upgraded it on and apparently you can't go back to the soft eLicenser once it's been on the usb stick. Meaning I have to carry it with my laptop everywhere just to use it..grrrrrrrrrrrh. I've seriously considering selling it multiple times because of that.

I feel all of those reasons are maybe part of the reason people haven't given it a serious look. Also UVI Falcon is getting a lot of buzz these days so that and other deep sound design playgrounds (ie Reaktor) are probably stealing a lot of Halion's shine as well. I heard great things about Falcon but haven't played with it because of lack of demo but would like to try.

Return to “Instruments”