Synths you regret buying

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Think of your bank account as being a bird singing...

:hihi:

Almost 10 years ago:
VirSyn miniTERA!

Circle 2, only because I stupidly paid full price for it and then it went on sale for more than half off the following week lol.

I learned my lesson though, to Google any company whose synth I'm considering buying to look for sales patterns and then wait for it to come. ;)

I think that in most cases it's not about the synth but the buyer - many users instead of spending more time to compare few demos and when buy specific synth to be something they know will work for them,just follow some subjective view and then start to blame the synth or developer,similar situation with soundsets - my point is try more carefully what you buy :)
I had Sylenth1 demo for years and aside from been sick of 'Thanks for trying his demo' voice i was very satisfied in 90% of cases when replace usual free synths with it and finally bought it ,probably will not gonna sell it unless it's last available unit and somebody offer 10 000 euro hahahhaha :)Cheerz :)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:I think that in most cases it's not about the synth but the buyer - many users instead of spending more time to compare few demos and when buy specific synth to be something they know will work for them,just follow some subjective view and then start to blame the synth or developer,similar situation with soundsets
Not always, sometimes it's the price that causes the buyer's remorse. There are some plugins that I wish I had not even paid a fraction for. If I paid what I felt they were really worth, it wouldn't be an issue. The problem is there are freeware synths that are superior to many payware synths out there. Many payware synths wildly vary both in quality and character. Too many things to match up for casual producers, too little time, too little energy, and too little money. With the sheer number of synths I have both real (analog) and software, soft synths simply are not worth more than 20 or 30 bucks. No soft synth I have come across has the same fidelity of a real synth. Truly what you hear is the result of the way it was made at the time it was made. From my view, this market is washed up unless they step it up to something completely revolutionary, or start realizing that soft synths and effects are a vastly oversaturated market, and finding the ones that both exhibit quality and personally favorable sonics characterictcs is an exhaustive process for everyone... developers really need to keep this in mind in their pricing and planning. You can't eat a soft synth, and if it's not putting food on the table, it strictly is a dream machine, and in view of all the free plugins, mean very little to most people, even those with the experience. Rather I say: Just be, accept yourself at this very moment as you are, and enjoy life as best you can in good spirit. :)
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Dune 2.

KIDDING.

Toxic Biohazard - not because it's a bad synth (it's great) but because it went on huge sale a week later.

Karma FX Synth.
Very rarely use it, unable to sell it.

sqigls wrote:Karma FX Synth.
Very rarely use it, unable to sell it.
NFR ?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Mixfood Remix is the one synth I regret buying!

it's a Rack Extension for Propellerhead Reason, cost less than $15 but really; I felt as though I threw that bit of money into a drain.

problem with Rack Extensioms is that you can't sell them. So I learnt that I should take advantage of Reason 10's compatibility with VSTs instead of seeking the comfortability of well-placed RE's.
one day I was walking on the street and someone saw me, he said "hey man" and I don't remember why I'm telling you this.

BURN-ADDiCT wrote:Mixfood Remix is the one synth I regret buying!

it's a Rack Extension for Propellerhead Reason, cost less than $15 but really; I felt as though I threw that bit of money into a drain.
I've bought the same and I feel the same! It's, only $9 discounted and it sounds good but it has the worst data entry and selection I've ever experienced! So, it ended unused. This was my first mistake. The second is an oscillator that doesn't work properly unless you buy another module from the same company (maybe it's due to latest update in Reason SDK). Anyway, those were very cheap. I have lost much more in VST I could resell ;)

I don't feel the same about other Rack Extensions I bought though. Parsec, PX7, and Antidote are real keepers :D

My regrets increase the more I learn about my tools and synthesis. I keep refine what I have and it is getting more stable with time. I think I can leave out and sell about 5 synths that I'm not using that much!

I don't regret buying any particular synth, however I do regret buying too many similar synths.
I own Hive, Sylenth1, Viper and Dune 2. They are all great synths, but there's quite a bit of overlap. Sure they each have their own character and some unique feature, but I didn't really need all 4. I would have been better off buying 1 or 2 of them, and spend the rest on something completely different.

BURN-ADDiCT wrote:Mixfood Remix is the one synth I regret buying!
honestly, when i see something with a name like Mixfood Remix, it just makes me think the developer has close to zero passion for his work, and even less self respect. i just avoid those plugins like the plague.
also the ones with silly cartoon guis. it's like someone just knocked it together for a laugh.

sheesh i'm in a bad mood today :x

AdvancedFollower wrote:I don't regret buying any particular synth, however I do regret buying too many similar synths.
I own Hive, Sylenth1, Viper and Dune 2. They are all great synths, but there's quite a bit of overlap. Sure they each have their own character and some unique feature, but I didn't really need all 4. I would have been better off buying 1 or 2 of them, and spend the rest on something completely different.
That is my problem as well - yet I cannot seem to part with any of them!

The only synth I really regret I bought is Vengeance Phalanx. It's the only vst I have that crashes a lot (when I browse presets, when I modulate the sample start, etc).

A few months after I bought Phalanx for 300 euro (!!!), Vengeance released Avenger, which does all the things Phalanx does and much more for 200 euro. No crossgrades unfortunately.

They also lowered the price of Phalanx to 200 euro.
Last edited by kiezum on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”