Getting Hive?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

I essentially classify synths into 2 types.

Warm and analog sounding.

Everything else.

Take Tone 2's synths, especially Electra 2. To me, they have this plastic shiny sound. It's the only way I can describe it. I can tell their synths a mile away. There is no real bottom end to their synths. It's like an EQ was taken to them and had the legs cut off. There is no warmth or depth. It's just a nice slick, plastic sheen. Don't get me wrong. I love the sound for certain things. But I'd never use Electra 2 on a prog rock track from the 70s. No way.

Hive, while not as plastic sounding as Electra 2, is in that family, at least for me. It's not Diva. It's not a Minimoog. It's not an SEM. It's not a DX7. It's not a Sunrizer even. Hell, that synth surprised the hell out of me. Hive, for me, is the kind of synth I would use to make Trance or typical EDM stuff. And for that, IMO, I think it's fine.

Again, you use a synth for what it's good for and stop bitching about what it's not good for. Not every synth can be an all around synth. Hell, very few synths excel at every little thing.

ATN69 wrote: Hive is not everyones cup of tea and that is just a normal thing, but that doesn't mean Hive is a bad synth.
True that. And, FWIW, i quite like the pads coming out of it, really sound great. It's just that i think for the Sylenth1 typical Trance plucks, supersaws, and what not, Sylenth1 as well as Spire simply have the edge. Even without ZDF filters, and "advanced" technology (even though i wouldn't call Spire being less technically advanced. Great sound engine, for sure).

ATN69 wrote:The sounds of Hive can be sharp and thin but it can also be lush, smooth and warm. It all comes down to the skills of the sound designer.
That is true for the vast majority of synths. I once heard some acid done with a Yamaha FB-01 that blew me away. I've heard of people digging those out of trash cans, literally.
Hive is not everyones cup of tea and that is just a normal thing, but that doesn't mean Hive is a bad synth.
Which synths are bad synths?

I get it, but it is a value judgement to say "I don't think that given what you currently own X that synth Y is worth Z dollars to you." You have three variables there, but there are some synths that some people will argue can tolerate a much wider range of X, Y, and Z.

So much drama about a synth... Welcome to KVR lol.

Hive is as powerful as it can be. One can make bangers out of it. No question. See what your synth is good for and then it's all about sound design skills and making a sound that matches with the rest of your track. That is the key.

I cannot trust people who say stuff like "it sounds thin", "it's low on CPU so it doesn't sound as good as Diva". An opinion is not a fact, it's flawed since what we hear is so subjective and there are so much other factors to consider as well.

Are people here really produce music lol ?

Ergonomics doesn't get enough attention and I don't know why. Is it just more satisfying to sperg out about what sounds metallic or lush or thick or thin or whatever? Because it's basically nonsense. So many of these synths are sonically interchangeable. What matters is the experience of using them, what type of sounds their design decisions steer you toward (or away from), etc.

Did you spend your twenties unironically pumping your fists with your bros at a venue that was blasting club bangers, all while dropping jaeger bombs? Or did you listen to, I dunno, berlin school or minimal techno in a fair trade cafe with your classmates? Your experiences shape your perspective.

I like Sylenth1 and have also done a lot of fist pumping in my time. I don't want to speak on behalf of Lennard, but it seems pretty clear that this synth was created by an enthusiast of that genre, and its design decisions guide the user toward creating those sorts of sounds.

If you don't like that kind of music and that kind of scene and those kinds of users, and you aren't deeply familiar with all of it, you're not going to "get it." And that goes both ways of course, but really, this is why Sylenth1 is so popular -- its design decisions better cater to its target audience than the alternatives, and that audience is pretty damn yuge.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

aumordia wrote:Ergonomics doesn't get enough attention and I don't know why. Is it just more satisfying to sperg out about what sounds metallic or lush or thick or thin or whatever? Because it's basically nonsense. So many of these synths are sonically interchangeable. What matters is the experience of using them, what type of sounds their design decisions steer you toward (or away from), etc.

Did you spend your twenties unironically pumping your fists with your bros at a venue that was blasting club bangers, all while dropping jaeger bombs? Or did you listen to, I dunno, berlin school or minimal techno in a fair trade cafe with your classmates? Your experiences shape your perspective.

I like Sylenth1 and have also done a lot of fist pumping in my time. I don't want to speak on behalf of Lennard, but it seems pretty clear that this synth was created by an enthusiast of that genre, and its design decisions guide the user toward creating those sorts of sounds.

If you don't like that kind of music and that kind of scene and those kinds of users, and you aren't deeply familiar with all of it, you're not going to "get it." And that goes both ways of course, but really, this is why Sylenth1 is so popular -- its design decisions better cater to its target audience than the alternatives, and that audience is pretty damn yuge.
Absolutely dead on the money.

Well, i totally disagree. If it only was about ergonomics, then Hive would immediately have substituted Sylenth1 for the audience described. Synths aren't interchangeable, sonically. I think this example proves that like hardly anything else.

Anyway, seems like it annoys many people here, and discussion=drama for some. So, enough from me.

aumordia wrote:did you listen to, I dunno, berlin school or minimal techno in a fair trade cafe with your classmates?

Sorry, but that did make me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

chk071 wrote:Well, i totally disagree.
Me too, but I'm bored.

aumordia wrote:I like Sylenth1 and have also done a lot of fist pumping in my time. I don't want to speak on behalf of Lennard, but it seems pretty clear that this synth was created by an enthusiast of that genre, and its design decisions guide the user toward creating those sorts of sounds.

I hate the kind of music you are talking about, never ever use any supersaw. Instead, I use Sylenth1 for R&B and Brazilian new bossa stuff. And why? Because it also sounds very good when emulating old-skool synth sounds, it uses little CPU, and the user interface is very inviting and ergonomic, with dedicated knobs for important parameters where you have to resort to the modulation matrix on other synths.

chk071 wrote:Well, i totally disagree. If it only was about ergonomics, then Hive would immediately have substituted Sylenth1 for the audience described. Synths aren't interchangeable, sonically. I think this example proves that like hardly anything else.

Anyway, seems like it annoys many people here, and discussion=drama for some. So, enough from me.
you're obviously the one that's getting annoyed -- can't imagine why :hihi:

But seriously: I personally will be deeply wounded if this thread isn't graced by more of your scintillating perspicacity. Don't go!

TBH, i don't even know what that means. I'm not annoyed at all though. But, obviously, others are.
So much drama about a synth... Welcome to KVR lol.

*tosses hair*

Out of annoyance? :P

aumordia wrote:*tosses hair*
I'd do that but most of mine is gone. I can brush a few wisps to the side though...while rolling my eyes...I do that a lot...roll my eyes I mean.

BTW: Ergonomics is a fine thing to discuss, but that isn't what the OP asked. He's talking about sound and while extremes of ergonomics can limit sound practically speaking, I don't think that's the case here.

Return to “Instruments”