is there anything else like xfer's nerve?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
kevvvvv
vvvvvvv
2325 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from skelmersdale, west lancs, uk

Post Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:38 am

My drum plugs are all acoustic sounding, and I'd like something a bit broader, more clubby.

I'm considering Nerve, but it looks & feels a bit old, and it's quite pricey, as well as tiny ( I need specs these day for long detailed screen sessions)

Is there anything else that does a similar job, ie, drum kits, patterns, handles loops, mashes it all up, etc?

Or is Nerve a one off?

thanx = kev :)
Member 12, Studio One 4, Microtonic drums, Pigments, Arturia 6, Avenger, Atom & Impact XT, Kontakt, Dune 3, Izotope Neutron 3 advanced

liv
KVRAF
1529 posts since 26 Feb, 2013 from Sweden

Re: is there anything else like xfer's nerve?

Post Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:01 am

UVI Beatbox Anthology 2?
Bazille soundset - Bioethical Genome Modification.
Soundset for UVI Falcon "Et Tantara Pul Hypnosis".

pdxindy
KVRAF
16039 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:30 am

Geist

simmo75
KVRAF
1554 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Post Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:58 am

Revolution

mrj1nx
KVRian
637 posts since 29 Nov, 2015

Post Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:08 am

I've been asking myself the same thing, mainly looking to replace Ultrabeat with something nicer to work with. If I knew that nerve would receive a facelift then that would help, the question now is, will there be a nerve 2, when? Etc... Im saving up for Stylus RMX but not yet sure exactly what that has and hasnt got, some people say its starting to sound dated.

jeffb01
KVRian
883 posts since 18 Apr, 2006

Post Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:39 am

maschine. Even if you don't use the hardware. great for loops, resampling, patterns, nice drum sequencer. sometimes I'll even bring addictive drums through maschine so I can use the nice sequencer to make drum patterns...

Spip
KVRist
142 posts since 7 Dec, 2014

Post Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:14 am

In this order, for me :

Maschine, Geist, Reaktor (ensembles from the factory library but also S-Layer and Ultraloops from Twisted Tools and NI's Polyplex) and iZotope Breaktweaker. :party:
my website: https://samiyounes.com
Latest releases: Attraction for Omnisphere 2 | Magma for Omnisphere 2 | Time for Soundtoys EchoBoy

Orbit-50
KVRAF
2329 posts since 29 Jun, 2005 from La La Land

Post Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:10 pm

Nerve is definitely a one off, as are all of the other Xfer plugins as well. It does everything you would want it to do and does it well. It's really, really cool if you get into it. It does need just two things. You mentioned one, which is a resizable GUI, and it needs a decent browser. Other than that, it's in it's own class. I've tried every drum box VST and my two favorites are Nerve and Groove Agent 4. Both, to me, are perfectly designed and are a pleasure to use for making drumloops.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

kevvvvv
vvvvvvv

Post Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:57 am

gawhhh .... I've got my weekend cut out trying out the suggestions in this most helpful of threads.

thank you all :D
Member 12, Studio One 4, Microtonic drums, Pigments, Arturia 6, Avenger, Atom & Impact XT, Kontakt, Dune 3, Izotope Neutron 3 advanced

kevvvvv
vvvvvvv

Post Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:19 am

Friday afternoon skiving (poet's day - pissed off early tomorrow's saturday :hihi: ) to check out everything out.

It's been great fun, and I'm very grateful for everybody's suggestions :)

UVI Beat Anthology 2 is lovely piece of kit but no audio loop slice rearrange features, which is why I liked Nerve, as I can recycle all my loop library and experiment, as well as mix in new drum sounds. I have Battery already so a drum machine per se isn't what I'm looking for.

Geist 1 I own, and I always got it wrong. But Geist 2 looks easier to use, and is rescalable, which is must for me these days. Once a plug has rescaling I find I'm always changing the size to suit the job, and this is such a useful workflow feature I'd hate to not have it. And the Geist upgrade is cheap compared with a new plug. I'm going to watch more tutorials and see how much better it is compared to Geist 1.

Revolution is nice to, but not a slicer, and is limited by the Kontakt environment which, tho nice, is slow to load, especially when I've a dozen or more Kontakts already in use with huge sample sets.

Maschine? I struggled to find anything on NI site that just talks about the software without the hardware. So not sure. Good spec tho.

UltraLoop I'd not come across before. Quite astonishing what it does, and how it tries to deal with the inevitable hierarchical complexities (duh, which layer/slot this or that on?), But it's a v cool looking tool, and I thank spip for the opening my eyes to this one.

Stylus RMX I have, and it's out of the ark. I contacted Spectrasonics a while ago about RMX2, but "no comment".

All suggestions have been an eye opener for me, and I'm busy relearning / rethinking the whole idea.

If you have more to add, please shout out. All ideas / intuitions very welcome.

And thanks so much for everyone's help so far :)

Dasheesh
KVRAF
3555 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:41 am

your DAW.

someone had to say it.

pdxindy
KVRAF
16039 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:36 am

kevvvvv wrote:Geist 1 I own, and I always got it wrong. But Geist 2 looks easier to use, and is rescalable, which is must for me these days. Once a plug has rescaling I find I'm always changing the size to suit the job, and this is such a useful workflow feature I'd hate to not have it. And the Geist upgrade is cheap compared with a new plug. I'm going to watch more tutorials and see how much better it is compared to Geist 1.
Geist 1 was awesome already... the big rescalable GUI is worth the price of upgrading to v2 all by itself cause the small fiddly GUI was the biggest drawback to Geist 1.

But there are some other valuable changes from v1 to v2

The slicer can now slice to 64 pads, not just 16 which could be an annoying limitation in v1

The sampler (yes it really samples) was already fun and effective, but is better now with more direct options of where you are sampling to. Geist 1 made sampling my own kits from my synth presets fun and v2 is even better.

Geist 2 now has the transmod modulation... :tu:

The sequencer can now have different steps lengths per lane

Some new FX too.

Geist 2 is (IMO) the hands down best groovebox/sampler you can get in software.

dangayle
KVRian
1017 posts since 30 Mar, 2014

Post Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Dasheesh wrote:your DAW.

someone had to say it.
This it the main reason I switched to Ableton. Drum racks FTW.

dangayle
KVRian
1017 posts since 30 Mar, 2014

Post Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:48 pm

For an answer completely out of left field, what about Renoise or Redux?

andrew732
KVRist
63 posts since 12 Jul, 2015

Post Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:57 pm

The only one not mentioned in your last post that I would highly recommend looking at closely is Groove Agent 4. People tend to think of it as just the crappy built-in Cubase drum machine, but that's totally wrong. It's developed into one of the big boys, right up there in terms of features with Geist 2 (except a resizable GUI), but more intuitive in many ways, at least in my opinion. Some of the appeal is its very tight integration with Cubase, which I see you're not using, but it still is definitely worth looking at.

Return to “Instruments”