is there anything else like xfer's nerve?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
focusrite
KVRist
265 posts since 20 Aug, 2010

Post Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:56 pm

If you want loops slice and dice then sugar bytes egoist 1.5 is waaaay quicker and more intuituve than geist and nerve. The randomisation is brilliant for inspiration and there's undo.

The only thing missing is multi out but you can get round that by saving your work as a preset, loading egoist in separate tracks in your daw then soloing kicks, snares and perc etc.. You can also play the pads and there's a pattern chainer and song maker.

To top it off you can use the built in drum machine to add another layer of samples.

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
8845 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Re: is there anything else like xfer's nerve?

Post Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:41 am

Old Crab
KVRist
392 posts since 11 Dec, 2004

Post Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:03 am

Try Sonic Charge Microtonic
https://soniccharge.com/microtonic

mrj1nx
KVRian
658 posts since 29 Nov, 2015

Post Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:42 am

Groove agent looks pretty interesting, seems to need a usb dongle for auth though but looks like a pretty good bang for buck deal. I did play around a bit with nerve demo and found it to be pretty streamlined in terms of workflow and being creative, its mainly the sample kits that sound a bit so-so, so I guess buying it will mean hoping that the sounds in it is good. It seems to me that it might work pretty nicely with external sample packs as long as they are organized in folders. The random sample loading is a feature I really dig and would hope to get a lot of happy accidents from.

If anyone can chime in on the quality of the soundbank in nerve that would be interesting to hear.

dark water
KVRian
1265 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Post Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:14 am

mrj1nx wrote:Groove agent looks pretty interesting, seems to need a usb dongle for auth though but looks like a pretty good bang for buck deal. I did play around a bit with nerve demo and found it to be pretty streamlined in terms of workflow and being creative, its mainly the sample kits that sound a bit so-so, so I guess buying it will mean hoping that the sounds in it is good. It seems to me that it might work pretty nicely with external sample packs as long as they are organized in folders. The random sample loading is a feature I really dig and would hope to get a lot of happy accidents from.

If anyone can chime in on the quality of the soundbank in nerve that would be interesting to hear.
A- or B+ I'd say for their quality (to give you a rather subjective and ambiguous opinion!)

TBH, the samples are varied and well created by good sound designers from about 4 years ago, but they don't stand out from similar forerunners (such as Goldbaby etc) imho.

However, you are able to also load and manipulate your own samples, which is why I bought Nerve.

As others have said, the size of the GUI is the main thing that holds Nerve back: if Xfer can give us a resizeable GUI, then I think it will appeal to even more people, as the basics with Nerve are all good otherwise.

tehlord
KVRAF
7903 posts since 22 Sep, 2008 from Windsor. UK

Post Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:17 am

dangayle wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:your DAW.

someone had to say it.
This it the main reason I switched to Ableton. Drum racks FTW.
Word

Drum Rack is the greatest software drum solution ever created.

kingtubby
KVRian
936 posts since 1 Mar, 2003 from Duston, NN5

Post Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:52 am

dark water wrote: As others have said, the size of the GUI is the main thing that holds Nerve back: if Xfer can give us a resizeable GUI, then I think it will appeal to even more people, as the basics with Nerve are all good otherwise.
Back in January this year Steve Duda answered a question on the Xfer forum about a resizable gui. He said then that it was nearly ready.
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

dark water
KVRian
1265 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Post Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:21 am

kingtubby wrote:
dark water wrote: As others have said, the size of the GUI is the main thing that holds Nerve back: if Xfer can give us a resizeable GUI, then I think it will appeal to even more people, as the basics with Nerve are all good otherwise.
Back in January this year Steve Duda answered a question on the Xfer forum about a resizable gui. He said then that it was nearly ready.
Indeed...
Like I put, if/when it happens, Nerve will no doubt be even more appealing.

JBlongz
KVRist
122 posts since 29 Jun, 2010 from NYC

Post Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:24 pm

kevvvvv wrote: Is there anything else that does a similar job, ie, drum kits, patterns, handles loops, mashes it all up, etc?
thanx = kev :)
Geist is one of the best for what you listed. It can read REX, tempo sync and slice wav loops. You can make several patterns and trigger between them via midi. Combine patterns into scenes and also trigger those via midi. Another their cool feature is stacking samples as combined, velocity layers, or round robin. Each sample layer can have different panning, effects, etc. you automate more changes in the sequence of your pattern. There are too many features to mention.

My only issue with them is note repeat as it's different from my comfort zone with Ableton Push and Maschine Studio. Give the demo a shot.

pdxindy
KVRAF
16246 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:38 pm

JBlongz wrote:
kevvvvv wrote: Is there anything else that does a similar job, ie, drum kits, patterns, handles loops, mashes it all up, etc?
thanx = kev :)
Geist is one of the best for what you listed. It can read REX, tempo sync and slice wav loops. You can make several patterns and trigger between them via midi. Combine patterns into scenes and also trigger those via midi. Another their cool feature is stacking samples as combined, velocity layers, or round robin. Each sample layer can have different panning, effects, etc. you automate more changes in the sequence of your pattern. There are too many features to mention.

My only issue with them is note repeat as it's different from my comfort zone with Ableton Push and Maschine Studio. Give the demo a shot.
The Geist Piano Roll also has an excellent workflow. Very fast to make patterns. Each lane can have a different number of steps. Plus you can have 24 patterns per engine and like you said, use midi to switch between them in realtime.

Plus it can sample synths and re-sample itself. Most fun I ever had making kits.

kevvvvv
vvvvvvv
2368 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from skelmersdale, west lancs, uk

Post Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:43 am

Geist might be my realistic option.

I discovered I actually own Geist 1 already.

Bought it a while ago then gave up on it after premature brain death.

But the Geist 2 is available as an upgrade for low $$$ so I'm working my way through the tutorials.

Do the Geist 1 tutorials apply to Geist 2 (more or less)
Member 12, Studio One 4, Avenger 1.5 + 14 xps, Dune 3, Microtonic drums, Pigments, Arturia 6, Atom & Impact XT, Izotope Neutron & Ozone, Valhalla, Spire, Sasquatch Kick 2, Panagement

pdxindy
KVRAF
16246 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:00 am

kevvvvv wrote:Do the Geist 1 tutorials apply to Geist 2 (more or less)
Mostly... some stuff has changed or migrated around and there is plenty of new stuff in 2

The GUI is 2 is quite different and better for browsing.

mrj1nx
KVRian
658 posts since 29 Nov, 2015

Post Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:51 am

Fwiw Steve confirmed in an email the other day that resizable ui is still in the works for nerve, no idea if that included any kind of facelift though. I think I need to give geist 2 a serious trial, Ive been testing nerve a bit and feel like it could be pretty good for sparking creativity and mixing and matching patterns and kits. Would be great if there was any way to convert uTonic patterns to more of a GM compatible format, then the whole patternarium would be available. If there was an easy way to identify snares/kicks etc then it could be pretty easy to write a converter. Obviously one way to do it is to pick some favorites and do it manually.

terminus_one
KVRist
310 posts since 21 Jan, 2015

Post Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:00 am

Any thoughts on Arturia Spark 2? Anyone integrated this nicely into their workflow?

acYm
KVRian
1053 posts since 11 Sep, 2015

Post Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:44 pm

nerve is quite unique, feels like a musical instrument and a natural extension to the daw without any overlap. the more recent geist 2 feels a bit like maschine to me, tries to be a drum daw within your daw. competing with Live these days with all the amazing hardware and scripts available for it is a bad idea.

I'd like a bigger interface but actually, a small screen footprint while being able to see everything you need to see was the intended goal and for me that's great, as nerve is meant to be used with other effects, as well as your daw's browser.

Return to “Instruments”