Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12703 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:31 am

Teksonik wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Malwarebytes blocks my access to the site...
Run the url through VirusTotal and see what result it returns.

https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/url

------
Strange, since it says on that site that it is a safe site, I tried it again, this time it was not blocked 8)

Ghostwave
KVRAF
1555 posts since 1 Mar, 2010 from Paris

Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Post Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:47 am

ESET blocks the site too. Seems it's been hacked ...
ghostwaveaudio.com | soundsets for Synplant, Sylenth1, Diva and more

Igro
KVRAF
4006 posts since 26 Apr, 2007 from Noosphere

Post Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:08 pm

egbert101 wrote:One person talks about sound, the other about future updates. :hihi:

I'm not knocking Thorn for sound, it just leaves me disappointed in terms of flexibility, especially listening to the presets. Spectral does seem to be a whole other beast, in terms of possibilities, especially with the weird ability to draw in your own filters.

Spectral also seems to have four layers (if I'm not mistaken?) so I'm going to give it a second chance, and check out the demo again. There are far more interesting presets.

For $49, I'm willing to put up with no further support, but as I'm on Windows 7 and Reaper, it's not a problem.
Seem like you are missing the whole point of Thorn. With Spectral I can seat all day messing with parameters and emptying another bottle of whisky without getting the final sound. With Thorn I can do a song.

sqigls
KVRAF
3387 posts since 25 Dec, 2004 from Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:13 pm

eggsactly

street spirit
KVRer
25 posts since 25 Jul, 2010 from united states

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:44 pm

his sites fine lol. who even uses antivirus programs anymore...
all they do is stress you out with false positives..

Sound Author
KVRian
598 posts since 8 Mar, 2008 from Crestview, Florida

Post Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:28 am

IKR, just got a new system for Xmas, the first thing I did was uninstall McAfee. Much better now :D

Igro
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:04 am

There is something not good with the harmonic filter. When you select it, the relation between notes is lost. The sound coming from the Harmonic filter doesn't have the right pitch order. Higher note can sound with a lower pitch than the lower note. How I suppose to play with it, when the pitch is becoming random? Please add key tracking to Harmonic filter, otherwise, it is just unusable for playing melodies and chords.

Here is a preset:

https://ufile.io/iy291

Also, the COMB modifier in the OSC gives some weird results from note to note - some notes play smooth while other generates loads of harmonics.

cb8rwh
KVRist
299 posts since 25 Apr, 2005

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:47 am

You can add keytracking to pretty much any parameter in Thorn. Just right click on the knob, then Add Modulation, then select KeyFollow. You can then then right-click drag on the knob to set the amount of modulation. Seems to work fine with that patch and Harmonic Filter mod set to max.

Igro
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:15 am

cb8rwh wrote:You can add keytracking to pretty much any parameter in Thorn. Just right click on the knob, then Add Modulation, then select KeyFollow. You can then then right-click drag on the knob to set the amount of modulation. Seems to work fine with that patch and Harmonic Filter mod set to max.
Thank you for the answer. I have also received a message from Dmitry and he gave me a proper explanation on too how to achieve a more stable results.

cb8rwh
KVRist

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:17 am

Ah cool. Do you get the results you want?

cb8rwh
KVRist

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:18 am

I think things like this should be in a section at the back of the manual - a Tips & Tricks section would be really useful to have.

sqigls
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:19 am

can also assign keytracking to harmonic filter balance, and i noticed keytracking in your preset was 0% at the amp section...

Igro
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:37 am

cb8rwh wrote:Ah cool. Do you get the results you want?
Yes. This was Dmitry's answer:
In your patch you have selected a "Bell" preset for harmonic filter, which exactly intended to produce "weird" results to show filter's capability. If you look at the spectrum shape of the "Bell" preset, you'll notice many deep and narrow frequency cuts in it. It means that when you play different pitches certain harmonics might be completely cut and that produces totally unexpected, funny sonic result. You might consider and EQ, if you draw the same spectrum curve on it and play a synth sound, you'll achieve the same results, as someone would steal harmonics for different pitches.

That's a normal behavior of the harmonic filter, which in this case cuts lots of narrow bands. In order to get more predictable results, you could just apply "Smooth" command in the editor, or at least draw constant curve at the lower frequency content. By doing this you'll get rig of very narrow bands that affects single harmonics. I adjusted your preset to make it sound more natural, without fooling harmonics. You could check the attached preset file and look at the adjusted "Bell" spectrum curve in Thorn's filter editor.

Igro
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:41 am

sqigls wrote:can also assign keytracking to harmonic filter balance, and i noticed keytracking in your preset was 0% at the amp section...
Hi sqigls. Yeah, It was just a cold start, so nothing was yet set properly.

sqigls
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:09 am

i had to boost the volume to 75% (egads i with it was dB instead of % :P )
even then it was quite a low volume. of course, as Thorn is totally addictive, I couldn't close my DAW until i created something of my own from it though :P
man i love that synth

Return to “Instruments”