Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

Chemik wrote:So the whole time the contest went, the sale was on and the hype train was going on, I kept looking at Thorn and saying, I should give this a go. But, I was finishing off an album and didn't want the distraction.

Fast forward to last week. D/l the demo and goofed around for a bit, then this morning really gave the arp and glitch machine a hard press and WOW. You can lose yourself forever in this lovely sounding instrument. Naturally, the intro price is long gone. So I need to psych myself up to paying so much more when I really don't need anymore vsts. Procrastination remains my enemy.
Don't want to be in your position. Thorn is an amazing instrument. But there's a lot of contenders around that are worth to take a look at as well...And the challenge is the new prize of Thorn. There's other synths that offer the same stuff or even a little more for just a little more bucks. But definitly the GUI and usability is a big plus for Thorn. I loved the synth, but actually didn't buy it because I have too many of the contenders already "sleeping only for quite some time" on my computer...

Tj Shredder wrote:
] Peter:H [ wrote: I did my speech samples like this - all what I say is more or less intuition based
Thanks for the tutorial!
You're welcome. Hopefully it was not to nerdy or to badly described that you could get at least the outline of what I was trying to say ;-)

Some Thorn sounds to pass a Sunday afternoon.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... new-sounds

I've tried out Thorn synth yesterday after watching a tutorial video from ADSR which was great. I open up Sylenth1 V2 and tried matching settings on OSC, ENV,FIlters, and effects. I was able to recreate the sound but wthat I noticed was a Thin sound compared to the fat sound of the Sylenth1 .. Sylenth1 sounded much thicker and richer while Thorn sounded thin and not full. I tried matching DB Levels and still a noticeable thickness difference. I had to add a pullet eq and a blue tube from pluginalliance just to get in the same ballpark. Not sure I guess maybe the wave samples in thorn are like this? or the something to do with the filter? Maybe someone else here can do similar test and share it .. I will do this again and record the audio and share it.

After watching the ADSR tutorial I was left very excited on doing some sound designing with Thorn. As far as the set up and layout its feels very comfortable to me as far and getting around GUI and building sounds. the glitch is pretty cool feature also the Harmonic filter is pretty awesome and I'm sure once I get more comfortable with the synth I will be using this feature to create unique sounds.

Part 2 of my question and comment is about the Wave sample in the thorn OScilators.
Could you just use the sine wave or pulse wave from sylenth and simply move it in to Thorn ? why not? or maybe resample it and add to thorn through the noise filter? In that matter any other synths basic wave sample.

Thanks for taking the timing and reading and replying :)

Thorn has basic analog waveforms also.
I find the filter in Thorn needs drive to ramp up the fatness, and the resonance is not comparable to Sylenth1 as the low-end gets lost as you increase resonance. A few of the Harmonic filter settings can benefit 'fatness' but it's kind of fishing for sweet-spots. The effects section can add some fatness, but overall, you need to fish for these sweet-spots and embrace the different modules/sections AND don't expect settings from other synths to match in Thorn. Like I say, sweet-spots... Sylenth1 is a special beast too, but it's pretty much purely subtractive. Thorn is a bit of a hybrid really, and while it's bit more difficult to hit those tighter low-end pockets and so forth, Thorn really excels at [golly, fishing for adjectives here] sparkly, crystalline, harmonic leads, plucks and special sounding keys... really it can cover a wide area, and it's fun to program. I think.
You just need to treat it as it is - a spectral hybrid beast that can do subtractive, but isn't really a subtractive synth.

So if you're trying to match sounds from other synths, instead of just tweaking the filter, you might need to nudge the harmonic filter balance, or mess with an oscillator 'effect' or the distortion or the EQ or something?...
Truth be told I'd much prefer the filter on Sylenth1, simply because ramping up the resonance a bit, i don't lose the bass.
That's why I don't like Re-Pro, I've never liked those types of filters. but with Thorn, I've learned that (generally) other than the filter DRIVE, it's best to kinda look elsewhere for that tight thumpy fatness.

again, sweet-spots.

DavidAnthonyMix wrote:...I noticed was a Thin sound compared to the fat sound of the Sylenth1 .. Sylenth1 sounded much thicker and richer while Thorn sounded thin and not full.
I think Thorn is better designed for glassy and metallic types of tones. Also good for punchy, FM styled bass.

In general.. for sounds that you need to cut through a mix.

You can fatten it up a bit by assigning a slow vibrato (it's the only LFO that runs 'free') to things like detune, PWM and wave position. Also, set all the Phases to 'free'.

Thanks guys for the reply, This helps and its a great idea to try the more lighter or brighter sounds like leads,pluqs and strings I will definitely do that.

But speaking of the filter drive I found it to get crunchy or distorted easily. I Made a 808 bass sound and push the drive which gave me a sizzle. I liked it but there wasn't much of a choice the 808 with out the drive was very week but the drive did give me fatness but with a sizzle also had a 12bit tone verses a clear 24bit quality that being said it is definitely usable it was great as a 808 bass line. Maybe thorn can offer 3 different drive option for the filter. a warm and beefier drive type to solve this issue.

I do love this synth mostly after watching the tutorial I really feel comfortable moving around in it. Im hoping to find some clever ways to use it maybe even make patches for it. You know with that built in glitch and the mseg curve you can make some cool rhythmic pads or keys so many different possibilities its exciting !

thanks to everyone that replied its been very helpful indeed

DavidAnthonyMix wrote: I do love this synth mostly after watching the tutorial I really feel comfortable moving around in it. Im hoping to find some clever ways to use it maybe even make patches for it. You know with that built in glitch and the mseg curve you can make some cool rhythmic pads or keys so many different possibilities its exciting !
Yes, indeed it is an exciting synth.
I have other synths to get big fat_Analog type sounds and use Thorn for what it is great for.
Patch creation in Thorn can be very rewarding... )))
This is just ONE instance of Thorn, that I used in the Thorn_OSC_105..
Yup>>> all you hear in this is just from ONE instance of Thorn... even the drums... it is amazing what it can do...
https://soundcloud.com/toonertik/osc105 ... aralexpmnt

Have fun and craete some cool sounds/patches :tu:

DavidAnthonyMix wrote:I've tried out Thorn synth yesterday after watching a tutorial video from ADSR which was great. I open up Sylenth1 V2 and tried matching settings on OSC, ENV,FIlters, and effects. I was able to recreate the sound but wthat I noticed was a Thin sound compared to the fat sound of the Sylenth1 .. Sylenth1 sounded much thicker and richer while Thorn sounded thin and not full. I tried matching DB Levels and still a noticeable thickness difference. I had to add a pullet eq and a blue tube from pluginalliance just to get in the same ballpark. Not sure I guess maybe the wave samples in thorn are like this? or the something to do with the filter? Maybe someone else here can do similar test and share it .. I will do this again and record the audio and share it.

After watching the ADSR tutorial I was left very excited on doing some sound designing with Thorn. As far as the set up and layout its feels very comfortable to me as far and getting around GUI and building sounds. the glitch is pretty cool feature also the Harmonic filter is pretty awesome and I'm sure once I get more comfortable with the synth I will be using this feature to create unique sounds.

Part 2 of my question and comment is about the Wave sample in the thorn OScilators.
Could you just use the sine wave or pulse wave from sylenth and simply move it in to Thorn ? why not? or maybe resample it and add to thorn through the noise filter? In that matter any other synths basic wave sample.

Thanks for taking the timing and reading and replying :)

There is a bug with unison when using oversampling (reducing the stereo spread to around 50%, especially with 2 unison voices), that's why it sounded thinner , but Dmitry is already aware about that and the fix is coming next.
Last edited by Igro on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Double post

There is a bug with unison when using oversampling (reducing the stereo spread to around 50%, especially with 2 unison voices), that's why it sounded thinner , but Dmitry is already aware about that and the fix is coming next.

Thanks Irgo .. Spot on! I check the patch and it does have 2 identical waves and are spread 100% and yes with 2 unison voices .. crazy ok well this explains it thank you.

Im no expert but I'm thinking that with the filter and drive being tied to the Osc I'm just thinking maybe thorn can have more than one drive type. not sure if that makes a whole lot of sense to anyone but The sound of the drive feels bright to me for lack of a better word. maybe have 2 drive types before the filter. One more dark and rich and the other as it is currently.

I plan on messing with it more after the Grammys next week, looking forward to it.

Thanks Irgo .. Spot on! I check the patch and it does have 2 identical waves and are spread 100% and yes with 2 unison voices .. crazy ok well this explains it thank you.

Im no expert but I'm thinking that with the filter and drive being tied to the Osc I'm just thinking maybe thorn can have more than one drive type. not sure if that makes a whole lot of sense to anyone but The sound of the drive feels bright to me for lack of a better word. maybe have 2 drive types before the filter. One more dark and rich and the other as it is currently.

I plan on messing with it more after the Grammys next week, looking forward to it.

Finally had a chance to spend an entire afternoon with Thorn. So easy to get lost in. Haven't been bug hunting yet though.

A few custom made patches inspired by Horror Cinema + a random (not so horrifying) pad at the end because why not.

Pardon the mix.

https://soundcloud.com/bcaudio/thorn-excersion

my first song with Thorn (main bass rhythm part)

https://soundcloud.com/ret-sam-llik/sehnstucht-1

Ridan wrote:Finally had a chance to spend an entire afternoon with Thorn. So easy to get lost in. Haven't been bug hunting yet though.

A few custom made patches inspired by Horror Cinema + a random (not so horrifying) pad at the end because why not.

Pardon the mix.

https://soundcloud.com/bcaudio/thorn-excersion
Nice. :) IMO, Thorn is made for stuff like that. The very beginning of the last pad somehow reminded me of Alien BTW. Thought that a similar melody like the one in "Hyper Sleep" would begin there, but, it went an entirely different way (which is fine of course :)).

Return to “Instruments”