Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
Igro
KVRAF
3988 posts since 26 Apr, 2007 from Noosphere

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:53 pm

:neutral: Unfortunately the bug with stereo unison (2 voices) and the Ovesampling has not been fixed.

Steve1974
KVRist
36 posts since 13 Sep, 2014 from Moscow, Russia

Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:38 pm

Many thanks to Dmitry for the great synth!
It's a real gem.
ariston wrote: - It would be great if the harmonic filter could be bypassed selectively.
+1
Sorry for my bad English. I'm not a native speaker.

User avatar
Halma
KVRian
1001 posts since 9 Apr, 2012

Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:39 am

PieBerger wrote:Huzzah, a feature-limited version of Thorn is coming to BEAT/Computer Music magazine soon, or so Dmitry Says (play on words very much intended) in his latest newsletter.
It is on Beat Mag #150 and it is called Thorn Solo. Looks like a monophonic version. Can not compare it to the full version but the sound of this synth kicks ass.
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Joe CM
KVRer
23 posts since 15 Jun, 2016

Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:56 am

Halma wrote:
PieBerger wrote:Huzzah, a feature-limited version of Thorn is coming to BEAT/Computer Music magazine soon, or so Dmitry Says (play on words very much intended) in his latest newsletter.
It is on Beat Mag #150 and it is called Thorn Solo. Looks like a monophonic version. Can not compare it to the full version but the sound of this synth kicks ass.
The CM version of Thorn will be released with Computer Music issue 257, on sale 16th May.

Thorn CM has full polyphony (up to 16 voices), exclusive presets, and comes with a full tutorial guide (including video). :tu:

User avatar
Halma
KVRian
1001 posts since 9 Apr, 2012

Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:40 am

Joe CM wrote:
Halma wrote:
PieBerger wrote:Huzzah, a feature-limited version of Thorn is coming to BEAT/Computer Music magazine soon, or so Dmitry Says (play on words very much intended) in his latest newsletter.
It is on Beat Mag #150 and it is called Thorn Solo. Looks like a monophonic version. Can not compare it to the full version but the sound of this synth kicks ass.
The CM version of Thorn will be released with Computer Music issue 257, on sale 16th May.

Thorn CM has full polyphony (up to 16 voices), exclusive presets, and comes with a full tutorial guide (including video). :tu:
Would you be so kind and mention which kind of limitations the CM version will have?
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

User avatar
nevis
KVRist
116 posts since 17 Dec, 2016 from Germany

Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Post Mon May 07, 2018 12:05 pm

I just discovered by accident that Thorn 1.0.7 has been released.
version 1.07:
Added distortion pre/post switch for filter section
Added arrows to shift left/right Arp and Glitch
Added 25 new glitch presets
Thorn can load presets from Thorn CM and Thorn BEAT versions
Fixed stuck notes in AAX
Source: http://dmitrysches.com/thorn-changelog

Pyrotek45
KVRist
340 posts since 4 Nov, 2013

Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Post Sat May 12, 2018 11:54 am

i wanna buy the beat edition but i can't. so stupid.
i have an addiction.....a vst addiction.

chk071
KVRAF
17016 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Post Sat May 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Pyrotek45 wrote:i wanna buy the beat edition but i can't. so stupid.
Why not? And why not wait another four days to get the CM edition?

Interesting that the Beat and CM editions differ, BTW. The Beat one seems to be monophonic, and the CM one 16 voices polyphonic. Maybe not to get overlap, and to make it worth to buy the other version as well.

User avatar
bftucker
KVRian
1076 posts since 30 Apr, 2004 from Louisville, KY

Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Post Sat May 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Joe CM wrote:
The CM version of Thorn will be released with Computer Music issue 257, on sale 16th May.

:tu:
I want Thorn but have so many synths, software and hardware, that I haven't given their due attention that it has been relegated to my wish list. The CM version will I hope ease my desire a little but I fear it will only inflame it!

Only four more days!
Last edited by bftucker on Sat May 12, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
바보

chk071
KVRAF
17016 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Post Sat May 12, 2018 12:27 pm

:)

I'm sure it'll give a good overview (and tease) over Thorn's capabilities.
Last edited by chk071 on Sat May 12, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrelafosse
KVRist
236 posts since 18 Jun, 2010

Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Post Sat May 12, 2018 12:58 pm

This seems to be a legitimate preview of Thorn CM, including details on its limitations vs. the full version:

http://www.pressreader.com/australia/co ... 0946200539

chk071
KVRAF
17016 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Post Sat May 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Still have some Google Play balance. Guess i will get that CM issue, just to take a look what the difference are to the full version. This thread somehow fueled my curiosity. :)

SHall1000
KVRist
149 posts since 13 May, 2015

Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Post Sat May 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Looks like Thorn CM has two oscillators instead of three, one filter with fewer modes instead of two and a reduced effects list.

DarkStar
KVRAF
8541 posts since 2 Sep, 2003 from Surrey, UK

Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Post Sun May 13, 2018 10:08 am

Yep, Thorn CM is on cm257. On the DVD and in FileSilo.

The installers for PC and Mac are each over 100 MB. That seems a awful lot.
DarkStar
Interesting, if true ...

User avatar
bftucker
KVRian
1076 posts since 30 Apr, 2004 from Louisville, KY

Re: Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

Post Wed May 16, 2018 2:35 am

The electronic version of Computer Music #257 July 2018 with Thorn CM is now available!

:phones:

I would also get the Beat monophonic version if it were as easy to purchase. :help:
바보

Return to “Instruments”