Opinions wanted on Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Iris 2

I got this on a sale, but never really played with it that much. Limited usability for me.

I like it, like people mention here the update dumped all 5 iZotope sound packs into v2 regardless of previous purchasers etc. about as popular as when Apple did it with Logic, people with only a few purchases were OK with it, but those that bought them all were pissed.
IMO it's possible they do work on it in the future, but beyond that I think it's great for mangling samples, nothing subtle, but all sound very "futuristic" whatever that means. I bought it for around $50 the first time and got a copy of v2 $50 when it went on sale.

Worth the money if you like messed up sounds.

machinesworking wrote:I like it, like people mention here the update dumped all 5 iZotope sound packs into v2 regardless of previous purchasers etc. about as popular as when Apple did it with Logic, people with only a few purchases were OK with it, but those that bought them all were pissed.
No people were pissed because they made v2 incompatible with those soundpacks (and others such as Simon Stockhausen's) - they just included the samples but not the patches because they didn't work. I wouldn't have minded one bit to get the whole packs, if they worked, even though I'd already bought 4 of them.

Any advantage to upgrade from v1?

Also is it less buggy now?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:
zzz00m wrote:Another cool feature of Iris 2 that is not obvious until you read the manual, is the keyboard map.

It pops out when you click on the 'map' button on the keyboard, and lets you set hi/low MIDI key ranges for each sample slot. That way you can arrange splits and layers with the four samples. Gets interesting when you map bass sounds on the lower notes, and other layers on the top end!
Thanks for that info, interesting. I assume Iris 2 doesn't do multisamples like a typical sampler, but the sound engine seems good enough to handle a good pitch range.
Right, it is not a multsampler engine. It is really like a synth with multi patches, where you can insert up to 4 instruments to layer or split. It's what you can do with each sample that makes it unique and interesting.

Root notes:
the Root Note, or MIDI note at which the loaded sample plays back at its native
speed and pitch, is indicated by the blue flag with the pitch displayed in black letters (for
instance “C4” in the image above). The displayed flag applies only to the sample which
you are currently viewing and in the All View, it applies to the sample you currently have
selected (indicated by a white outline surround the spectrogram).
Root note is detected and set automatically by Iris 2 as soon as a sample is loaded, but
you can adjust this setting by simply dragging the flag to the desired pitch, or adjusting
the Root Note knob in the sample panel. Note that after making a Spectral Filter selection,
the fundamental pitch of the sample may change. In a case like this, Root Note can be
detected and automatically reset after a selection has been made by right-clicking on the
spectrogram and clicking “Set Auto-Detected Root Note.”
More info on the pitch shifting of samples:
Radius RT High Quality Mode

Enabling this feature will provide higher quality pitch-shifting for any samples making use of
the Radius RT pitch mode, at the expense of significantly increased CPU usage. If you are
experiencing difficulties with seamless playback using High Quality Mode, we recommend
disabling this option to allow Radius RT to run at its default settings.

Radius RT Range

This sets the maximum allowed range above and below each sample’s root note that Radius
RT will perform its pitch shifting. If any notes are played outside of the specified octave
range, they will simply playback as the highest available note in the set octave range.
When using Radius RT on any particular sample, the higher that the sound is pitch shifted up
from its root note, the more CPU intensive the process gets in order to maintain its quality.
Increasing the Radius RT Range can therefore lead to more CPU-intensive operation of Iris
when performing large pitch shifts.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

<delete>
<List your stupid gear here>

Return to “Instruments”