One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FB-3100 FB-3200 FB-3300

I see someones already in the festive holiday spirit!

Is sample and hold useful for anything besides weird effects? I haven't used it before in a synth. I can't seem to get an usable note arpeggio out of it.

I am positively having a blast right now with these! I'm so happy about us being able to use all of them 3100 to 3300, because they all have something. I did my percussion with 3100 thus far, but now I've made this toy piano like sound with 3300 that is just wonderful.
I'm a little worried about myself, because I'm enjoying the super simple harmony progressions of my cheese-fest, but dang... what a blast. Synthy heaven for me right now.

Björn, man, those things are total gifts, honestly. I'm blessed with a giant monitor, so the GUI size is no problem for me. What happens is that I slowly but surely get this feeling that I had when I was playing with the real deal synths some 25 years back. It's just... something special, honestly! I hope you get to read this, too! YOU JUST ROCK! :hyper: :hug:

Something tells me that this month will bring plenty of gems! I can only hope, people pull themselves together- at least as much as I did- and then recognize how these things work. It's a bit easier with the 3300, because of the release stuff and other polyphony matters that feel a little more natural, but dang... JOY JOY JOY!

I agree Taron... Bjorn - these sound fantastic. Thanks so much!

Being an analogue synth newbie, I was at first shocked by how much 3100 could sound like my monotron! And then the Korg connection came to my mind!

@functionform - I'm no professional sound designer, but I reckon the sample and hold can be used for plenty that isn't weird or note arpeggios. Subtle rhythmic filter modulations perhaps, as a basic start point?

Full Bucket wrote:Folks, what should I say... thanks to all of you! :hyper:

Cheers, Björn
Some serious attention to detail went into the 3100/3200/3300 synths, thanks for your efforts!

Here's a kick if anyone wants it. I've just started and still trying to figure out the mod routing and what everything does.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cotj5cv4t0tts ... 1.FXP?dl=0
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Has anyone figured out how to use banks with the AU versions? I can't figure out what kind of file a bank is, and Logic completely crashes (literally goes away) when I attempt to save to a new bank. Any advice on file management would be most welcome. I can successfully save files using the Logic Save As and Load functions. Thanks!

ontrackp:
I was able to load the .fxp and .fxb (they are vst patch and bank) files from inside the synth.. does that not work?

anyone figure out how to route audio through the 3100 or 3300 using the 'external' mixer at the bottom of the synth? I can't seem to get audio to pass through it- just silence.

You know, I yet have to ever come across a synth that actually has a working audio input in any way?! Never seen it happen. :shrug:
Besides that: WOW, Jasinski, nice to see you around again! That alone makes this a pretty exciting month. :)

jasinski wrote:anyone figure out how to route audio through the 3100 or 3300 using the 'external' mixer at the bottom of the synth? I can't seem to get audio to pass through it- just silence.
Hey Jas, not really sure that is meant to be there :shrug: I was looking at the manual for the original hardware ( ...because ...knowledge) and it only shows the Direct Signal which bypasses the Resonators and has a dedicated output. The MS-20 had an external input as well as the ability to feed the output back into the patch for some mad grit and distortion but I can't see that anywhere on the PS-3100

Link to the manual:
https://www.korganalogue.net/korgps/man ... index.html

Edit: Also, I think there would have to be an FX version to use this in your DAW?

H-man wrote:
jasinski wrote:anyone figure out how to route audio through the 3100 or 3300 using the 'external' mixer at the bottom of the synth? I can't seem to get audio to pass through it- just silence.
Hey Jas, not really sure that is meant to be there :shrug: I was looking at the manual for the original hardware ( ...because ...knowledge) and it only shows the Direct Signal which bypasses the Resonators and has a dedicated output. The MS-20 had an external input as well as the ability to feed the output back into the patch for some mad grit and distortion but I can't see that anywhere on the PS-3100

Link to the manual:
https://www.korganalogue.net/korgps/man ... index.html

Edit: Also, I think there would have to be an FX version to use this in your DAW?
In Cubase there is this weird QuadChannel Trick that must be used to provide the side-chain signal to TDL Nova Dynamic EQ. Could this probably be similar magic here?

Sorry for bringing up a Plug-in and Rule discussion again. But would it be possible to use Full Buckets Bode-style Frequency Shifter?
You know I always try to use OSC for some "sonic" experiments be it Oculus Spatializer or Speech experiments...Thought I could go for some binaural beats / brain waves ambient style music with just some slightly shifted left/right channels (4 Hz or so)..me thinking it could be the same category like the allowed use of "minimal" saturation/distortion?

Just for the information: https://www.zenlama.com/understanding-t ... art-guide/

Any Opinion, please let me know?

Yes, I have got audio in it Reaper with 3100, I don't think it is possible with 3300 as it does not show any inputs in a Reaper track (3100 shows 2 inputs)...
Here's how in Reaper>>> 2 Tracks, Trk_1 with 3100 Trk_2 with audio (I loaded drum loop for test)
Route/send audio from Trk_2 to Trk_1 on channels 3/4 ... in Trk_1 set 3100 inputs to accept audio from inputs 3/4... turn 3100_ext.input up. Looking at the 3100 patch/signal flow there is an up and down arrow... it seems this is where the audio arrives... so good from the resonators on ward so includes the ensemble ..
wel it works for me... In Live I would try similar, I guess .. as to other DAWs I have no idea...
I hope this helps... ))))

Update>> just for a laugh I inserted ReaTune on Trk_2 and turned the send "MIDI events on pitch change" to Trk_1, then mixed synth in with beats.. might try this later with a live synth... "Just coz I can"... :lol:

Wowsa, I stand corrected!
Works also in MuLab, tested it with 3100. In modular view you can connect any output to the input. Just don't overlook the dial in the lower right hand corner "EX.INPUT"!
It runs through the resonators and AMP MOD chain (including resonator, as toon mentioned). This is very surprising to me and a new precedence. COOL! Especially with the AMP modulation that could invite some crazy stuff! :shock: ...I really sense dubstep hell coming, most certainly! :evil: :hihi:

Yeah, I probably should test out stuff before talking out of my #ss. :roll: ...apologies. :oops:

Taron wrote:
Yeah, I probably should test out stuff before talking out of my #ss. :roll: ...apologies. :oops:
:lol:
Took me years to learn that Life_Skill... still have lots to learn though!!!!!! :wink:

Return to “Instruments”