One Synth Challenge #106: FB-3100/3200/3300 by Full Bucket Music (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FB-3100 FB-3200 FB-3300

] Peter:H [ wrote:In Cubase there is this weird QuadChannel Trick that must be used to provide the side-chain signal to TDL Nova Dynamic EQ. Could this probably be similar magic here?
Heh, I remember coming up with that trick in 2004 and forwarding it to Steinberg, testing the concept in Reaktor that allowed declaring more plugin inputs to the host back then, testing a proof of concept "regular" stereo compressor taking in a key signal from the host that way -- and wondering why more standard plugins don't provide separate sidechain inputs declared to the host like this, as routing like that was demonstratably already possible :D. Now, almost 14 years later inputs like this are common, hosts can routinely send signals into them, so it's amazing that this channel hack is still needed in Cubase when routing a key signal (into a VST2 plugin) ? Oh man. If this is the case, I can only imagine it's because they want to support only the VST3 way of presenting inputs to the host. In all other hosts I've used, it's just a matter of pointing a desired destination for a signal, selecting the plugin inputs, no matter whether using v2 or v3. For Nova and all other sorts of sidechained effects.

Alas, there's something fishy with the FB-3100 external input in Ableton Live. You can select the instrument channel as a destination for a signal, but the inputs stay grayed out. Works in Reaper, for example. Jasinski, a workaround would be to host the instance of FB-3100 inside Minihost Modular (it's free, and just a host shell to contain FB-3100 in this case, so should be in all ways rules compliant :) ), which correctly declares its inputs to the host also in Live. After reading your post I tested this in Live 8, loading Minihost Modular as an instrument plugin and FB-3100 inside that, and it takes in audio mighty fine now. The level of the external signal is controllable with the input dial you mentioned, on the FB-3100 GUI.

Guenon wrote:
] Peter:H [ wrote:In Cubase there is this weird QuadChannel Trick that must be used to provide the side-chain signal to TDL Nova Dynamic EQ. Could this probably be similar magic here?
Heh, I remember coming up with that trick in 2004 and forwarding it to Steinberg, testing the concept in Reaktor that allowed declaring more plugin inputs to the host back then, testing a proof of concept "regular" stereo compressor taking in a key signal from the host that way -- and wondering why more standard plugins don't provide separate sidechain inputs declared to the host like this, as routing like that was demonstratably already possible :D. Now, almost 14 years later inputs like this are common, hosts can routinely send signals into them, so it's amazing that this channel hack is still needed in Cubase when routing a key signal (into a VST2 plugin) ?
I have only been forced to learn about that trick because TDR Nova is not "fully" VST3 compliant. My goto dynamic EQ plug-in is capable of providing side-chains in a Cubase compatible way but it's not allowed for use in OSC because it's a commercial one (Meldaproduction)...So I have to go way back into 2004...
Really crazy what a bunch of long term experts and how many years of experience we have assembled in our nice OSC family ;-)

] Peter:H [ wrote:use in OSC because it's a commercial one (Meldaproduction)...So I have to go way back into 2004...
Really crazy what a bunch of long term experts and how many years of experience we have assembled in our nice OSC family ;-)
Which Melda do you have I have the MAutoDynanicEQ>>> totally blown away with it... lots of tricks and the modulation capabilities are extensive... it's the only commercial plugin I have bought.. just had to have it... pity we can not use it in OSC!

] Peter:H [ wrote:My goto dynamic EQ plug-in is capable of providing side-chains in a Cubase compatible way but it's not allowed for use in OSC because it's a commercial one (Meldaproduction)...So I have to go way back into 2004...
Haha, yeah it really was a blast from the past! :D Main thing is, nice that you got it working.
] Peter:H [ wrote:Really crazy what a bunch of long term experts and how many years of experience we have assembled in our nice OSC family ;-)
:party: :hug:

toonertik wrote:
] Peter:H [ wrote:use in OSC because it's a commercial one (Meldaproduction)...So I have to go way back into 2004...
Which Melda do you have I have the MAutoDynanicEQ>>> totally blown away with it... lots of tricks and the modulation capabilities are extensive... it's the only commercial plugin I have bought.. just had to have it... pity we can not use it in OSC!
On last years black friday I have got me a big present - the TotalBundle ;-) Since then I'm only doing OSC tracks with free effects. How damn crazy stupid is that :D Actually MAutoDynamicEQ was my start with Melda, it amazed me completely and got me hooked with Melda then I wanted more more more ...
I checked my soundcloud list...some very few tracks just before my first OSC #96 track are "infected" with Melda ("A Waste Of Good Suffering" up to "Select Your Alter Ego (WiP)" and "The Traveller")
Hm, I start to have the feeling that I probably should skip OSC#106 and rather give all my expensive toys a ride...

<deleted>
Changing handle to Subject36..

Hi guys.

I have to check one thing I didn't see treated so far.. (Or I missed it..)

Can we use the three synths together? For example 5x3100 and 2x3200 and 8x3300..? Or is it "choose one and stick with it"?..

/S36
Analogue and digital alike - inside and outside the box. All good music is done with passion and love, not religious convictions!

jasinski wrote:ontrackp:
I was able to load the .fxp and .fxb (they are vst patch and bank) files from inside the synth.. does that not work?
Thanks. I"m still trying the AU version in logic and it doesn't see those files. I'm trying to figure out what DAW to use that can use the VST version.

subject36 wrote:Hi guys.

I have to check one thing I didn't see treated so far.. (Or I missed it..)

Can we use the three synths together? For example 5x3100 and 2x3200 and 8x3300..? Or is it "choose one and stick with it"?..

/S36
Oh, you can use them together, that's the whole point. It basically is one family of synths, making it just three different ways to get to the heart of their synthesis. I've already got all three in the track I'm working on and they all give a unique access, but really ultimately "sound the same", so to say.

Hi guys,

sorry, I cannot always be here for help, anyway I try to. So forgive me if my answers might not come in time. :oops:

About the External Input: Only the FB-3100 has one. I managed (like some of you folks too) to make it work in VSTHost and Reaper (tricky). Not sure about other hosts. :party:

Saving presets: Horror. I don't know why some hosts won't work. That's why I incorporated the preset load/save mechanism within the plugs.
Taron wrote:I've already got all three in the track I'm working on and they all give a unique access, but really ultimately "sound the same", so to say.
Almost right except for the FB-3200 which has the static equalizer and the optional 4-pole ladder filter (the original PS-3200 never had this filter type). :ud:

Cheers, Björn

Full Bucket wrote:
Taron wrote:I've already got all three in the track I'm working on and they all give a unique access, but really ultimately "sound the same", so to say.
Almost right except for the FB-3200 which has the static equalizer and the optional 4-pole ladder filter (the original PS-3200 never had this filter type). :ud:

Cheers, Björn
And that's why we love you! :hug:

I must say, sometimes it is a little bit scary...again..not dissimilar to the real deal, haha, but yeah...it's almost like the synths have to earn my trust somehow. But I am really just super thrilled right now. The stuff sounds killer to my ears! (Imagine I'd do dubstep, that could be literal, haha! But no...still not, yet!) :D

Also, again, in MuLab it's a piece of cake to connect the input on 3100 and it runs just perfectly, I imagine!

Here is my part. This time it was very difficult, cause the FB-3100 was hard to use.

https://soundcloud.com/ckoehlerberlin/ckoe-modus-106

- Reaper DAW
- 8x FB-3100
- FX: ReaComp, ReaEQ, ReaDelay, OrilRiver, OldSkoolVerb
Last edited by ckoe on Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One always has to remember that the PS-3X00 series was built in 1977/78... they really are the Neanderthals of the polysynth area. :hihi:

Obviously, some "standard features" had to evolve over time: For example when you create a sound with the FB-3X00 clo(w)ns using the filter's Expand parameter you'll immediately see why a JX-3P had that additional Gate/Organ-like envelope for the VCA. And you'll note many more of these quirks when you start playing with these buddies. 8)

Cheers, Björn

Thanks for your explanation. I was really confused about the parameters and modulation path. Anyway, it's done. I'm very curious about the other entries.

Hey, I have 3200 and 3300 working in linux with Airwave bridge but ardour times out when trying to setup 3100. Anyone had any luck with these plugins in linux?

Return to “Instruments”