Thorn vs. Diversion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VSTbuzz is running a promotion, where Dmitry Sches' Diversion is sold at $63 (regular price: $169)

At the same time, Dmitry Sches sells the new Thorn at $69 (regular price: $119)

If you were to pick up only one - for broad electronic music, both fast & slow - which would it be? Short info as to "why" would be greatly appreciated :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

The biggest issue for me with Diversion is CPU consumption. Don't think you can do a 5x unison pad with a long decay time with an average CPU. One instance might be enough to bring your CPU down... it sounds very good, but, doesn't justify the processing power needed IMO. Also, i'm not too much of a fan of multi windows operation, and, for the waveshaping and advanced oscillator functions, Diversion opens a new window. Very good oscillator sound, with a broad spectrum where the synth sounds good (i guess that's the big plus of the synth), and very nice analog modelled filters too.

Thorn uses less CPU, which is good. It also has some nice analog modelled filters, and sounds very good in general in the upper registers. Due to the spectral nature, the lower notes sound a bit muffled, and it gets worse the lower you go. Obviously, that's an issue with the architecture of the synth, and can't be worked around, the way i see it.

I personally would go with Thorn. Diversion is unfortunately hardly usable for me, due to the CPU use limitations. I like a synth to be versatile, and i can't do pads with Diversion, it simply slaughters my CPU before playing the next chord... Thorn has some almost similarly sounding filters, you can also do pads without too many CPU concerns, and, especially, it is very straight forwards, and easy to use. The glitch sequencer is also quite unique, and allows for some fun modulation stuff. If you can get past the rather muffled lower notes, i think it's a better deal than Diversion all in all.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:Only problems with Diversion is that it needs an update to the GUI, which I can't read clearly on my monitor.
Wasn't the GUI already updated. Or you mean the new one?

Music tech enthusiast

Sound wise, i'd also say Diversion. IF there wasn't that monstrous CPU consumption...

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

chk071 wrote:The biggest issue for me with Diversion is CPU consumption. Don't think you can do a 5x unison pad with a long decay time with an average CPU...I like a synth to be versatile, and i can't do pads with Diversion, it simply slaughters my CPU before playing the next chord...
This could be personal taste, but I feel like putting the unison on 2x is plenty - and the CPU isn't nearly as drastic as even 3x. I think his unison is "hypered." A second alternative for pads that I do is simply use multiple osc and pan/detune. It sounds incredible - at least to my ears. This synth just smokes. Using the additional filters and drive really gives pads a nice grit (among a plethora of other interesting harmonics) that can have a smooth soft distortion.

Yeah i'm sold on the clarity and versatility of Thorn. Unfortunately this sale has caught me at the wrong time... I'd really love to own Diversion though...
waynes world, oh yes, she will be mine.jpg
it will be mine. oh yes. it will be mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antic604 wrote:...Diversion vs Thorn ...
Both are fantastic and worth every penny. Their capabilities may overlap a little bit on paper but they have a quite different character. With Thorn my sounds often get very "modern" or "aggressive" quickly. In a good way. Diversion can do aggressive but in my view it is easier to get sounds with a more general usability with it.

Dmitry is very generous with demo limitations. Some noise every few minutes but you can use the synths fully including saving. So test them both. My vote is: Diversion or both.

antic604 wrote:VSTbuzz is running a promotion, where Dmitry Sches' Diversion is sold at $63 (regular price: $169)

At the same time, Dmitry Sches sells the new Thorn at $69 (regular price: $119)

If you were to pick up only one - for broad electronic music, both fast & slow - which would it be? Short info as to "why" would be greatly appreciated :)
Diversion, hands down. If you can get it for that cheap it's a no-brainer.

Thanks guys! :hug:

You've been very helpful - I got myself Thorn, because it sounds awesome enough, seems to be much simpler and immediate and the glitch sequencer is lots of fun! I've got enough of complex synths already (Reaktor 6, Bazille).
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote:Thanks guys! :hug:

You've been very helpful - I got myself Thorn, because it sounds awesome enough, seems to be much simpler and immediate and the glitch sequencer is lots of fun! I've got enough of complex synths already (Reaktor 6, Bazille).
Already have Thorn which is a damned nice synth but must admit I'm tempted by Diversion at this price. Remember testing it on my old PC which was an AMD Quadcore and it ran like a three-legged donkey but will try again on my new i7.

antic604 wrote:Thanks guys! :hug:

:tu:

TBH, all in all, i prefer Thorn as well. At least until Diversion 2 is released, maybe next year, hehe...

Return to “Instruments”