Patch Librarian for Synth1 (freeware)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Synth1 Synth1 Librarian

Thanks again for this insanely useful piece of software! :tu: :clap:

If I had the smarts and know how, I would attempt something like this for Dexed by Digital Suburban (a high quality, open source GPL, VST and AU plugin modeled on the Yamaha DX7). https://www.kvraudio.com/product/dexed- ... l-suburban

Dexed can load and play any of the thousands of freely available DX7 patches, but the drawback is they are located in thousands of SysEx files in carts of 32 patches each, so it is very time consuming to search out the patches that you want. Tagging, searching? Ha! A lot like Synth1 was before your librarian... it definitely needs a way to index and tag the whole library, rather than loading a group of 32 patches at a time.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Dexed simply uses the DX7 method... to assure the compatibility with the DX7. Dexed is an awesome emulation plugin of the DX7... but it is good to recall that its first purpose was to be a DX7 editor.

And in Dexed works as in any other synth. Sysex files are anything else than banks.

Now, as any other synth, it may be possible to make a librarian tool. The Yamaha Sysex structure is simple and can be used to make a librarian tool as well as to make an emulation. But hey... it is a work to do. If someone wants to make it... the documentary material exists.
:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote:Dexed simply uses the DX7 method... to assure the compatibility with the DX7. Dexed is an awesome emulation plugin of the DX7... but it is good to recall that its first purpose was to be a DX7 editor.

And in Dexed works as in any other synth. Sysex files are anything else than banks.

Now, as any other synth, it may be possible to make a librarian tool. The Yamaha Sysex structure is simple and can be used to make a librarian tool as well as to make an emulation. But hey... it is a work to do. If someone wants to make it... the documentary material exists.
:D
Not a dig at the DX7, or the architecture. I used hardware synths in the 80's and 90's, so I get the SysEx thingy. Have used Unisyn and MIDI Quest in the past to organize patches for them.

Just saying that the Patch Librarian for Synth1 has broken down barriers to organizing the large number of patches available, and it would be very cool to have a similar capability for DX7, or Dexed. It would be awesome to be able to step beyond groups of 32 patches, or whatever, and look at the entire universe in one glance! :tu:

All of your requests for other VSTs have not gone unnoticed :wink:

I've got various side-projects consuming my time at the moment, but I hope to start looking at Dexed later this year. The main challenges will be
(a) parsing the bank/sysex files (but as @BlackWinney says, there's documentation out there)
(b) identifying the discrete values needed for the heuristic matching engine

With my current workload, I will probably start this in Q4 this year...
Author of "Synth1 Librarian", music meddler, software maker
https://neutrinosky.com | https://twitter.com/neutrino_sky

BlackWinny wrote:Dexed simply uses the DX7 method... to assure the compatibility with the DX7. Dexed is an awesome emulation plugin of the DX7... but it is good to recall that its first purpose was to be a DX7 editor.
Hey, I completely overlooked that you created the DX7 patch compilation 'Dexed_cart_1.0.zip' that I am using.

Thanks man! I'm sure that took a lot of effort and patience to sort through thousands of patches. :tu: :clap:

neutrino.sky wrote:All of your requests for other VSTs have not gone unnoticed :wink:

I've got various side-projects consuming my time at the moment, but I hope to start looking at Dexed later this year. The main challenges will be
(a) parsing the bank/sysex files (but as @BlackWinney says, there's documentation out there)
(b) identifying the discrete values needed for the heuristic matching engine

With my current workload, I will probably start this in Q4 this year...
Sounds like a plan! :tu:

Let me know if you need any testing done! :D

zzz00m wrote:
Hey, I completely overlooked that you created the DX7 patch compilation 'Dexed_cart_1.0.zip' that I am using.

Thanks man! I'm sure that took a lot of effort and patience to sort through thousands of patches. :tu: :clap:
Thanks, friend.

Yes, it took about a year and a bit to gather all the material then to test patiently the sysex files. Of course it hasn't been made in a disordered way, but with some little tools that I have made (scripts in VBA and in Excel) to make the referencements of the presets in a huge database. Then working on that database by SQL requests was much easier and much more efficient than opening all the sysex files one by one. Otherwise I would have needed not one year but perhasp three or four.
:hihi:

And it's not finished. Because since the date of the release of this version 1.0 I have stumbled on some buggy presets which had passed through the cracks and that I'll remove or try to fix (when possible)... and I also have discovered some other old sysex files that I didn't know yet when I made that version 1.0 and which will be added in the version 1.1.

I would like also to make something equivalent for some other old legendary synths which have sysex files used by excellent plugins. For example the sysex files of the Alpha-Juno (used by ReDominator), the sysex files of the Casio-CZ series (used by VirtualCZ), the sysex files of the Roland JX-8P (used by PG8X), the sysex files of the Yamaha-4op-series (used by DiscoDSP Phantom), the sysex files of the Clavia Nord Lead II/IIx (used by Discovery Pro), etc.

All that in the same spirit : remove as much as possible the buggy presets... and the duplicates. In order to have twice the most comprehensive and the most reliable collections, instead of all the current collections that we find on the web which are very frequently only messy collections gathered without any sort nor any work to eliminate all the junks.

And in several months, we'll work, Neutrinosky and I, on a new webpage that I'll host for his librarian(s). His work is awesome, and a bit in the same purpose as mine (to make much easier the management of huge collections of presets, but my work is more humble), so I have suggested him that I could host his excellent work, hence he will never more have to worry about the hosting of his files and pages. We'll do that in a few months, when he is more quiet to begin this little move.
:hug:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

I don't know the deal here, but I hope you're not giving up your domain name, neutrino.sky? Is it the web hotel where you are hosting your domain name that is too expensive, or is it due to the traffic which is exceeding a certain amount and therefor gets too expensive?

@BlackWinny, will you be hosting neutrino.sky's domain name (neutrinosky.com) as well, or are you creating a sub domain on your own domain?
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote:I don't know the deal here, but I hope you're not giving up your domain name, neutrino.sky? Is it the web hotel where you are hosting your domain name that is too expensive, or is it due to the traffic which is exceeding a certain amount and therefor gets too expensive?

@BlackWinny, will you be hosting neutrino.sky's domain name (neutrinosky.com) as well, or are you creating a sub domain on your own domain?
A subdomain of my own domain, yes. And he will have all the rights on the subdomain.
:)

BlackWinny wrote:
starflakeprj wrote:I don't know the deal here, but I hope you're not giving up your domain name, neutrino.sky? Is it the web hotel where you are hosting your domain name that is too expensive, or is it due to the traffic which is exceeding a certain amount and therefor gets too expensive?

A subdomain of my own domain, yes. And he will have all the rights on the subdomain.
I wasn't worried about neutrino.sky not getting the rights to access the sub domain, rather that I think it's sad he would abandon his domain name. But you can of course do a domain name forward to your web spaces :)

And by doing a domain name forwarding with masking, it would show, i.e., www.neutrinosky.com instead of neutrinosky.domain.com.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

It's still early days yet - but BlackWinny and I will pick up the conversation at the end of the year (I definitely won't abandon neutrino sky, it's my brand name 8) )

Yes.

It will be something simply in the kind of neutrinosky.xxxx.eu.

The xxxx being not more than 4 letters.

So, very short and very simple.

And no fees, no ads, etc.

The dream for our friend...

But for the moment:

Next news about that: at the end of the year.

Hi,

As mentioned in an earlier post, I also ran into the mega-zip folder issue in a newer release. Version 2018.126.109 reflected all the non-zipped folders while 2018.909.1546 doesn't. Thanks to this thread, it was realized that each folder needs to be a .zip. I came across an approach using 7-Zip and a text editor to batch convert all of the folders quite easily here.

Thanks again for the Librarian, and it's wonderful that proceeds went to children in need!

I've just uploaded a new release of Synth1 Librarian with a couple of fixes - a little Xmas pressie to you all :wink:

I'm starting a new business venture next year :hyper: , so it's unlikely that I'll have time to work on Synth1 Librarian (or Dexed Librarian, for that matter). I'll still try to respond to questions and queries when I can.

Have a great Xmas and New Year, and have a beer on me :party: :tu:

Thanks for everything, and will take you up on that beer! Good luck on your future business ventures, may they be a huge success!!! :tu:

Return to “Instruments”