Best VST instrument for relaxation, Ambient, sounds

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Loom, sooner or later you should be able to pick it up for a buck.

zebra2. and def check out joseph hollo's padsheaven soundsets for it: http://sound.artenuovo.com/index.html
(i did an ambient project for a client, much of it with the above)...

ghettosynth wrote:What usually helps people get better advice is to post some examples of the kinds of things that you're looking to create.
This! Ambient is a genre, and thus has more to do with style than synth, e.g. ambient is "often" instrumental, slow tempo, no prominent beat, motifs rarely repeat, note intervals are small, little contrast or surprises or build to climax, etc. So analyse your favourite ambient, and make a piece using the synths you already have.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Many thanks for the advice, lots of stuff I had never heard of before coming up, really useful. I'll try and find some examples of the type of thing I like and hope to find inspiration from .

OP, you may very well have all the synths that you need for this, but what you may want to start experimenting with is suitable chains of effects, which can really transform any source material into totally new, deep, soundscapes.

Here's an example which comes from a very old thread here on KVR (2011). In this example you can hear how a standard strings sample taken from a very old Roland TSS-1 General Midi sound module, together with a cowbel get transformed into very deep, atmospheric wash of sound. Then, you hear how the same effects smear the flute and a pluck just at the end of the audio file:

(dry strings+ cowbell first, then the same but with a chain of effects...)

dry strings transformed into a deep, atmospheric wash with effects only

Here's the original post for that thread, which also contains more info:

viewtopic.php?p=4686848#p4686848
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

However, if I were to focus on synths only, I'd be looking for instruments which use sample+synthesis. In the past I'd always recommend Alchemy as the first choice, but since it is no longer available on the PC platform, and is locked to Logic on Mac, it is no longer a viable option for most people. However, there are many other instruments which can mix samples with synthesis (Halion, Halion Sonic, Falcon, etc) alternatively, you can always create such layered sounds in your DAW, by mixing/layering a synth+a sampler, for example.

What I would also look at are a variety of 'world' acoustic samples. These can really add to the texture and atmosphere in ambient sounds you are looking for. Careful mixing and layering can add the interest without having some obvious 'ethnic' sounds getting in the way, or pushing the production into a more New Age style. In this context some Physical Modelling synths are very useful, AAS String Studio in particular, as it can be moulded into many semi-acoustic sounds which with suitable effects can really add lovely textures. So, think outside the box, don't just focus on a synth that can give you great pads, look for other sources and creative use of effects. Speaking of which some more, definitely explore Impulse Response reverbs. There are some examples which can really transform a sound into a beautiful ambient tapestry of sound. Recently I really like the Fog Convolver reverb with its very useful set of Impulse Response presets, which provides a very easy way to get great sounds!

timfarman wrote:I'm hoping to make some relaxation music with ambient, pads, soundscape type musical noise, I wondered what the best VST instruments would be, what do people think ? Really looking for mellow sounds.
Hope that's not too vague/general, I'm just doing it for fun !

Suggesting Falcon with some libraries, or Kontakt with Lunaris. Both will give you what you desire. You may also want to check out Adaptiverb.

himalaya wrote:However, if I were to focus on synths only, I'd be looking for instruments which use sample+synthesis. In the past I'd always recommend Alchemy as the first choice, but since it is no longer available on the PC platform, and is locked to Logic on Mac, it is no longer a viable option for most people.
Which is such a pity because I'd say Yuroun's Alchemy banks are some of the closest to this sort of aesthetic.

Dillinger wrote:Kontakt with Lunaris
There it is. How could I forget! Get this now. It's immense, and it's sublime!
(disclosure: I did work on some of the presets, but let that not be an obstacle to my recommendation, it's genuinely an amazing library. Luftrum's Magnus Opus!)
Last edited by himalaya on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

aMUSEd wrote:
himalaya wrote:However, if I were to focus on synths only, I'd be looking for instruments which use sample+synthesis. In the past I'd always recommend Alchemy as the first choice, but since it is no longer available on the PC platform, and is locked to Logic on Mac, it is no longer a viable option for most people.
Which is such a pity because I'd say Yuroun's Alchemy banks are some of the closest to this sort of aesthetic.
It is isn't it....what can we do... I tend to jump into Logic just for Alchemy v2. I also use Alchemy when teaching sound design...but this 'uber' synth deserves to be available to all musos on all platforms...
:(

himalaya wrote: What I would also look at are a variety of 'world' acoustic samples. These can really add to the texture and atmosphere in ambient sounds you are looking for.
Which is why style matters so much when it comes to ambient. This is absolutely the last thing that I would look for. Whether these kinds of sounds work for you depends a lot on what you're trying to create and what your skillset is. For me, it's way more likely that I would end up sounding like some cliche new age meditation bullshit.

That said, pretty much any sample with the right processing can fit into ambient recordings. What matters is how you are going to process that sample or instrument.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

ghettosynth wrote:That said, pretty much any sample with the right processing can fit into ambient recordings. What matters is how you are going to process that sample or instrument.
I'd like to add:

Anyone who's interested in relaxed ambient music should become relaxed first and foremost her-/himself. There's so much peace in silence - to start with.

From there on you can and will develop sounds that add to, but not disturb the inner mood. :tu:

Such great advice here. I notice that the Tone-2 'Warmverb' ( the same as 'Multi-FX' ?) which was mentioned a few times, is available with Computer Music magazine issue 234 on Zinio. Looks like a fully featured version.

timfarman wrote:Such great advice here. I notice that the Tone-2 'Warmverb' ( the same as 'Multi-FX' ?) which was mentioned a few times, is available with Computer Music magazine issue 234 on Zinio. Looks like a fully featured version.
Yep, the CM version is full-featured and exactly the same plugin, just with a new name slapped on it. https://www.kvraudio.com/product/warmve ... iosoftware

Return to “Instruments”