Best VST instrument for relaxation, Ambient, sounds

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's definitely worth it on PC (64 bit available) less so on Mac (no 64bit). Besides its ability to make deep washes of sound it can also sound very aggressive so can be handy for other music genres.

However, what Warmverb (or rather 'Multi-Fx' now) can do can be easily re-created in any decent DAW with internal effects or with any of the inexpensive effects available everywhere.

The above demo used the following effects in series:

Warmverb 1:
Pitch shifter with an octave transposed down
Ping Pong Delay
Large Reverb
Stereo Phaser

Warmverb 2:
Large Reverb
Stereo Phaser
BandPass filter
Large Reverb

Nothing fancy.

However, once you go to more esoteric effects like granular, spectral, special IRs, it opens up a whole new dimension of sound. And it happens almost as if by magic, no need to know anything about synthesis! That's why I feel it's a cool way to make such sounds, since there is no need to buy anything (all effects may already be available in your DAW, at least the basics) and no need to learn some complex new synth, (since the effects would be already familiar to you).

However, it has to be said that this method is obviously not the panacea for all such sounds, it's just one easy option.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Have Kontakt full? Grab Artvera's "Exposure" freebie... soothing, spacey ambient pads in memory of the late, great Tim Conrardy...

http://www.artvera-music.com
You need to limit that rez, bro.

In a slightly different direction, I would recommend Intermorphic's Noatikl and Mixtikl (https://intermorphic.com/). As these are generative applications, they are starting you with some pre-made ideas, but you can then modify those ideas in many ways. Most of all, it satisfies the "fun" requirement you mentioned originally :).

I should also mention that these two apps are also available at a very reasonable price for iOS and Android, which is great if you are away from your computer and still want to dabble in making ambient music.

Great advice, thanks again for all the pointers here

you dont really need any special synth, but i find falcon is quiete good at that , on the opposite caracrete wise theire is also absynth and some older vsti with a less lush sound, more digital one cause of artifacts , so depends what you are after, a bit of everything can be nice..
i use the most falcon and madrona labs these days (madrona for organic sounds but falcon is good at it too with all the osc types and modulations )

Omnisphere 2.

pdxindy wrote:
Russell Grand wrote:Check out the new Aparillo by Sugar Bytes: https://sugar-bytes.de/aparillo
sorry, but the cacophonous noise that thing makes is anything but relaxing :hihi:
Or maybe you dont know how to program synths.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

kobal wrote:you dont really need any special synth, but i find falcon is quiete good at that , on the opposite caracrete wise theire is also absynth and some older vsti with a less lush sound, more digital one cause of artifacts , so depends what you are after, a bit of everything can be nice..
i use the most falcon and madrona labs these days (madrona for organic sounds but falcon is good at it too with all the osc types and modulations )
Thank you . Which Madrona Synth are you using ? i see they do a physical modelling Synth

Can't believe Dune 2 hasn't been mentioned yet. This thing is capable of some very smooth, creamy and deep relaxing pads and soundscapes.

Korg Wavestation.

Regarding Warmverb: I always forget about it. If you still can get it with the Computer Mucis issue stated, you'll get a nice sounding reverb indeed. Maybe not quite as "pristine" and brilliant as some 200 € reverbs, but, surely worth every cent of the 3 € or so you pay for the CM issue. :P

for ambient, choosing effects is far more important than choosing synths :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

chk071 wrote:Maybe not quite as "pristine" and brilliant as some 200 € reverbs
you mean with a little more boost in the highs with an equalizer? :roll:

Glyn Darby wrote:Korg Wavestation.
this is good. wont break you and can sound huge piped through
a good modern reverb that your budget allows :phones:

timfarman wrote:
kobal wrote:you dont really need any special synth, but i find falcon is quiete good at that , on the opposite caracrete wise theire is also absynth and some older vsti with a less lush sound, more digital one cause of artifacts , so depends what you are after, a bit of everything can be nice..
Thank you . Which Madrona Synth are you using ? i see they do a physical modelling Synth

kaivo i find physical modelling a must for ambient for doing 'hybrid' sounds , and aalto as a synth can sound very organic with all the modulation and the caracrete is good but both i find them a bit diffult to use.

falcon as one and only synth for ambient could be enought and even more than needed, but i m still new to it, it s the honey moon period :) but what i noticed, when using it in some older tracks, falcon doesen t sit easy in the mix, why? because it sounded better than some of the plugins i used, so it stick out of the mix sounding lush and make the rest sound a bit bad if the sound is a bit lofi or not programmed carefully

Return to “Instruments”