X-mas 2017

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can no longer fathom the kind of things going through this guy's mind. Only in dance music? Capability = sound quality?

I need a break from the internet.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

That would be because you haven't been around long enough to remember what the world was like when analogue was the only option. If it is so clearly and obviously superior, why did absolutely everyone ditch it in favour of digital synths in the 1980s? Why are the biggest selling synths of all time all digital synths?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Seems Bones is focusing on anal, which is fine. Each to their own, no?

samsam wrote:Seems Bones is focusing on anal, which is fine. Each to their own, no?
Maybe he‘s got a misplaced sticky bone where it shouldn‘t be ... :o

BONES wrote:That would be because you haven't been around long enough to remember what the world was like when analogue was the only option. If it is so clearly and obviously superior, why did absolutely everyone ditch it in favour of digital synths in the 1980s? Why are the biggest selling synths of all time all digital synths?
Price and availability.

To use your oft used car analogy...the toyota corolla (?) is the best selling car.... is it the best car? No.

AnX wrote:
BONES wrote:That would be because you haven't been around long enough to remember what the world was like when analogue was the only option. If it is so clearly and obviously superior, why did absolutely everyone ditch it in favour of digital synths in the 1980s? Why are the biggest selling synths of all time all digital synths?
Price and availability.

To use your oft used car analogy...the toyota corolla (?) is the best selling car.... is it the best car? No.
I think yes! :hihi:

Cheapskate :hihi:

AnX wrote:Cheapskate :hihi:
Or poor/middle class ;)

AnX wrote:
Price and availability.

Maybe it is if you live in constant denial. :hihi:

egbert101 wrote:It's not about quality, but the opposite. Same reason why people ditch digital recording for tape, vinyl or cassettes.
Except nobody does those things these days. Consumers might be stupid enough to buy that garbage at retail but nobody records onto 16 track tape any more. There might be a tiny lunatic fringe but that's about the size of it and nobody takes them seriously.
AnX wrote:Price and availability.
Except they weren't really factors. A DX-7 wasn't much cheaper than a Jupiter 8, it was just a whole lot better and if you already owned half-a-dozen analogue synths, it was actually cheaper not to buy a new digital synth, especially as you'd have pretty much have to give away your old stuff because nobody wanted it.
I wasn't suggesting that popularity was a measure of quality, simply asking you guys to tell us why absolutely everybody dropped analogue synths at the very first opportunity. It's a simple question, the answer can't be too difficult to supply, can it?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

BONES wrote:Because people are complete idiots. In 1990 I couldn't give my two TB303s away because everyone saw them for the rubbish they are. Then, all of a sudden and for no valid reason, they are worth $1000. It's a joke.
Styles and preferences change. The TB-303 is a good example of an analog unit that wasn't particularly awesome in what it set out to do, and later, "misused", absolutely defined the sound of particular genres.

So historically and artistically, it's not as simple as you are making it out to be, and it's not as serious either ;). Again, styles and preferences change. People will drop something almost completely, then rediscover it in new ways when they notice it in a new context, be it a part of sub- or popular culture. It's okay! People create with various means, depending on where and when they are, surrounded by the influences they then combine into their own output.

BONES wrote:Except nobody does those things these days. Consumers might be stupid enough to buy that garbage at retail but nobody records onto 16 track tape any more. There might be a tiny lunatic fringe but that's about the size of it and nobody takes them seriously.
Excuse, me what. :lol: Did everyone suddenly forget the buttery rich tone of some of the things that were recorded at Sound City? You're never going to be able to replicate the tone, the richness, the character of that board. God, it's damn near magical.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're just wrong. It's so painfully obvious.

BONES wrote:
egbert101 wrote:It's not about quality, but the opposite. Same reason why people ditch digital recording for tape, vinyl or cassettes.
Except nobody does those things these days. Consumers might be stupid enough to buy that garbage at retail but nobody records onto 16 track tape any more. There might be a tiny lunatic fringe but that's about the size of it and nobody takes them seriously.
AnX wrote:Price and availability.
Except they weren't really factors. A DX-7 wasn't much cheaper than a Jupiter 8, it was just a whole lot better and if you already owned half-a-dozen analogue synths, it was actually cheaper not to buy a new digital synth, especially as you'd have pretty much have to give away your old stuff because nobody wanted it.
I wasn't suggesting that popularity was a measure of quality, simply asking you guys to tell us why absolutely everybody dropped analogue synths at the very first opportunity. It's a simple question, the answer can't be too difficult to supply, can it?
I didnt drop them. Infact, i snapped up a good few bargains in the late 80's early 90's. I didnt own any digital stuff until i bought a PC and some software in 1999. (I used an Amiga thru the 90's tho, but just as a seq/sampler) I still dont own any digital hardware, absolutely no need when i can have it actually in the PC.

Return to “Instruments”