Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12720 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:10 pm

Korg prices are back to normal, 50 bucks for the old synths and 100 for the Odyssey...

SciFiArtMan
KVRian
1045 posts since 24 May, 2006 from Our Amazing Oasis in Space - USA Section

Re: Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:14 pm

Just so everyone is aware, you can contact KORG at:

https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

I saw this link in Braj's signature, and I wrote to them (about the KORG Collection GUIs) and I received a personalized response to my query, which is a huge difference to my previous contact attempts over the past few years, and up to a few months ago. So they are now responsive, at least in providing e-mail replies.

Thanks for the heads-up, Braj!

T11
KVRer
18 posts since 3 Jan, 2011 from Sweden

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:43 pm

KORG still haven't addressed this issue in their latest update. Tiresome! :evil: :x :dog:
pelle_8 wrote:(Haven't read the whole thread)
BUMP

Korg ARP Odyssey in standalone mode on Win10 seems to have problems switching to ASIO for some users.
It causes the app to crash.

How many here have experienced this?

UAD Apollo FireWire and RME Fireface are among the affected. :?: :help: :help:

T11
KVRer
18 posts since 3 Jan, 2011 from Sweden

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Unexpected workaround

https://www.spectrasonics.net/ has the same issue with their new standalone versions.

They suggested that I should install ASIO4ALL.
I answered back in scepticism.
They said; "No no, you don't have to use it, just install it."
Okeeey, I thought and gave it a go.
And holy cow, it actually worked!! :clap:

Ah_Dziz
KVRAF
2357 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:17 pm

BONES wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:So Is the korg arp really that much of an improvement in authenticity to the gforce one? Still no korg demo right?
I prefer the gforce one. The difference is definitely not worth the extra CPU use.
Not even for half the money?
Nope. Better performance and sound (to me) along with all the cool modulation stuff gforce has is worth the extra money. The Korg thing is fine as a freebie when included with the bundle (which is why I own it). Unless oddity stops working on my system I won't be using the Korg plugin.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6188 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:30 pm

I had the Oddity and Oddity 2 for quite a while (no longer), and listening to some youtube videos, I can hear some more bottom end and a little more punch, which isn't surprising given the age of Oddity's engine. I find the same thing with all older vst analog emulations, the other Korg legacy ones as well, they seriously lack bottom end punch. for for brighter and softer sounds, but not so much for the basses or beefier leads etc. Oddity is cool, but if something can get closer to the true hardware Odysey sound, I'd be more interested.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7238 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:18 pm

You do understand that you can apply EQ and effects to boost the bottom end of anything, right? It doesn't have to be there from the start. in fact, a lot of what made old synths hard to use in their day was trying to tame the bottom end so you could fit it into a mix. But with modern digital mixers, its' easy.
Ah_Dziz wrote:Nope. Better performance and sound (to me) along with all the cool modulation stuff gforce has is worth the extra money.
Except Oddity doesn't do Unison, from what I can see. That's an absolute deal-breaker for me, I'm afraid. Even if it was free I wouldn't want it. I also think I am far more likely to use an arpeggiator than an extra LFO so even the Oddity's extra features really don't hold much interest for me in comparison to what's in the Korg. I've downloaded the demo, though, so I'll have a play with it over the weekend (although there is exactly zero chance I will pay 100 euros for a softsynth).
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Elektron Analog Keys, Waldorf Pulse 2 MicroMonsta, IK Uno.

Rameses
KVRist
131 posts since 9 Mar, 2018 from Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Sweet. The Legacy Collection is very nice anyway and this is literally the cherry on top.
For DISCOGRAPHY, see К Ɱ Ԏ Ꮇ Ꮩ Ꭶ Ꭵ Ꮳ

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:32 am

BONES wrote:You do understand that you can apply EQ and effects to boost the bottom end of anything, right? It doesn't have to be there from the start. in fact, a lot of what made old synths hard to use in their day was trying to tame the bottom end so you could fit it into a mix. But with modern digital mixers, its' easy.
No, it's not about simple EQ. That's not generally what people mean when talking about the characteristics of a synth like big bottom end etc. It's more about the way the oscillators, filter(s) and envelopes interact to give it a certain contour that has a big sound. If you put an older analog emulation next to the real thing 9or a modern accurate VST emulation), there are certain types of sounds you simply won't be able to replicate with EQ and effects. I've tried!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

Ingonator
KVRAF
12043 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:32 am

After my old notebook was almost 9 years old and my 5 years old desktop PC not being very fast by todays standards I just got a new Intel i7-7700HQ based Windows 10 notebook. This finally is powerfull and full featured enough to no longer really need a desktop PC besides a notebook.

At the new notebook I just re-installed the latest Korg Collection. I used the Korg Collection serial/activation code for the first plugin i opened and this was enough to activate all plugins including the new Odyssey. No need to use individual serials(codes for each single product.

Overall the installation was really fast on the new computer now that i did alraedy know how the new activation process works.
Ingo Weidner
notebook: HP Omen 15.6" / Win 10 Home 64-bit / i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (internal) // audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen)
DAWs: Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 // controller: Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:48 am

Ingonator wrote:After my old notebook was almost 9 years old and my 5 years old desktop PC not being very fast by todays standards I just got a new Intel i7-7700HQ based Windows 10 notebook. This finally is powerfull and full featured enough to no longer really need a desktop PC besides a notebook.

At the new notebook I just re-installed the latest Korg Collection. I used the Korg Collection serial/activation code for the first plugin i opened and this was enough to activate all plugins including the new Odyssey. No need to use individual serials(codes for each single product.

Overall the installation was really fast on the new computer now that i did alraedy know how the new activation process works.
How much cpu does the odyssey take on your new computer?

Ingonator
KVRAF
12043 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:44 pm

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Ingonator wrote:After my old notebook was almost 9 years old and my 5 years old desktop PC not being very fast by todays standards I just got a new Intel i7-7700HQ based Windows 10 notebook. This finally is powerfull and full featured enough to no longer really need a desktop PC besides a notebook.

With the new notebook and the mobile Intel i7-7700HQ CPU the CPU/ASIO load shown in Live 10 (my main host) does not always reflect the actual CPU use also as the CPU does not use it's full possible speed if not needed. Anyway in Live 10 i was able to use 10 instances of the ARP Odyssey plugin with 100 voices overall (each instance with 10 voices Unison) without audio dropouts.

With a pad sound (preset "HS Emo Strings") in U-He Repro-5 and the multicore + HQ switches on i could use up to around 36 voices without audio drop-outs. Setting the HQ switch off i could use up to around 65-70 voices at once.
With my old i5-3350P based desktop PC i could not get remotely close to that.
Ingo Weidner
notebook: HP Omen 15.6" / Win 10 Home 64-bit / i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (internal) // audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen)
DAWs: Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 // controller: Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

EnGee
KVRAF
5035 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Ingonator wrote:
With the new notebook and the mobile Intel i7-7700HQ CPU the CPU/ASIO load shown in Live 10 (my main host) does not always reflect the actual CPU use also as the CPU does not use it's full possible speed if not needed. Anyway in Live 10 i was able to use 10 instances of the ARP Odyssey plugin with 100 voices overall (each instance with 10 voices Unison) without audio dropouts.
That seems really good! Which preset you did your test? Was your power options set to 'High Performance'? Also what buffer/sample rate did you use?
I will test now in Live 9, Cubase 9 and Reaper 5 with buffer/sample 256/44.1khz. Let me find a 10 unison preset with 10 polyphony.
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.
--------------------------------------------------------
Windows 10 & Maschine 2

surreal
KVRian
1041 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 pm

Ingonator wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:

With a pad sound (preset "HS Emo Strings") in U-He Repro-5 and the multicore + HQ switches on i could use up to around 36 voices without audio drop-outs. Setting the HQ switch off i could use up to around 65-70 voices at once.
With my old i5-3350P based desktop PC i could not get remotely close to that.
Ingo are you sure you did not buy the Update option Ingo? I got the full legacy collection ie ms20, polysix, wavestation, monopoly, m1, as well as mdex yet I must still buy the update option to get odyssey? :help:

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
23226 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:25 pm

surreal wrote: ? I got the full legacy collection ie ms20, polysix, wavestation, monopoly, m1, as well as mdex yet I must still buy the update option to get odyssey? :help:
Me too ... its $49.99 to add the ARP.

Return to “Instruments”