Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
fmr
KVRAF
8108 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:47 pm

thecontrolcentre wrote:
surreal wrote: ? I got the full legacy collection ie ms20, polysix, wavestation, monopoly, m1, as well as mdex yet I must still buy the update option to get odyssey? :help:
Me too ... its $49.99 to add the ARP.
He didn't say he didn't buy the upgrade. What he said is that it was enough to just register ONE plug-in, and all the others became automatically registered, INCLUDING Odyssey.

At least that's how I read it.
Fernando (FMR)

EnGee
KVRAF
5035 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Re: Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:23 pm

EnGee wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
With the new notebook and the mobile Intel i7-7700HQ CPU the CPU/ASIO load shown in Live 10 (my main host) does not always reflect the actual CPU use also as the CPU does not use it's full possible speed if not needed. Anyway in Live 10 i was able to use 10 instances of the ARP Odyssey plugin with 100 voices overall (each instance with 10 voices Unison) without audio dropouts.
That seems really good! Which preset you did your test? Was your power options set to 'High Performance'? Also what buffer/sample rate did you use?
I will test now in Live 9, Cubase 9 and Reaper 5 with buffer/sample 256/44.1khz. Let me find a 10 unison preset with 10 polyphony.
Ok, I did my tests with Ryzen 5 1600x and iTwo Asio 256/44.1 setup with Live 9, Cubase 9, Reaper 5.77, Reason 10 and FL Studio 12. I was surprised for some results!

The test preset of ARP Odyssey is '030: Feeling Bass' with just one note. Now into the results:

Live 9: 12 instances playing great but with the 13th crackle like crazy!

Reaper 5.77: 2 instances only!! with the 3rd crackle and CPU is going out of the roof! Shocking but very disappointing! :o

Cubase 9: 12 instances playing great with the 13th crackles (just like Live 9)

Reason 10: 7 instances play very well and clean, but with the 8th I begin to hear some crackles.

FL Studio 12: 12 instances play very well and clean, but with the 13th crackles like Cubase and Live.

I suspect that the maximum of 12 instances in this case because of the Ryzen 5 1600x 6 cores and 12 threads.

Anyway, I must say I'm happy with this result as a CPU but not so about Reaper and ARP Odyssey itself regarding the CPU management and optimising.
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.
--------------------------------------------------------
Windows 10 & Maschine 2

Ingonator
KVRAF
12043 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:17 pm

surreal wrote: Ingo are you sure you did not buy the Update option Ingo? I got the full legacy collection ie ms20, polysix, wavestation, monopoly, m1, as well as mdex yet I must still buy the update option to get odyssey? :help:
I had the Legacy Collection and Legacy Collection Digital Edition and upgraded to the Odyssey and/or the new "Korg Collection" when it was released.
As mentioned yesterday i used the serial/code for the new "Korg Collection" which includes all old plugins and the Odyssey so no need to use seperate serials/codes for each plugin.
Ingo Weidner
notebook: HP Omen 15.6" / Win 10 Home 64-bit / i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (internal) // audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen)
DAWs: Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 // controller: Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:23 pm

EnGee wrote:
EnGee wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
With the new notebook and the mobile Intel i7-7700HQ CPU the CPU/ASIO load shown in Live 10 (my main host) does not always reflect the actual CPU use also as the CPU does not use it's full possible speed if not needed. Anyway in Live 10 i was able to use 10 instances of the ARP Odyssey plugin with 100 voices overall (each instance with 10 voices Unison) without audio dropouts.
That seems really good! Which preset you did your test? Was your power options set to 'High Performance'? Also what buffer/sample rate did you use?
I will test now in Live 9, Cubase 9 and Reaper 5 with buffer/sample 256/44.1khz. Let me find a 10 unison preset with 10 polyphony.
Ok, I did my tests with Ryzen 5 1600x and iTwo Asio 256/44.1 setup with Live 9, Cubase 9, Reaper 5.77, Reason 10 and FL Studio 12. I was surprised for some results!

The test preset of ARP Odyssey is '030: Feeling Bass' with just one note. Now into the results:

Reaper 5.77: 2 instances only!! with the 3rd crackle and CPU is going out of the roof! Shocking but very disappointing! :o

Reason 10: 7 instances play very well and clean, but with the 8th I begin to hear some crackles.

FL Studio 12: 12 instances play very well and clean, but with the 13th crackles like Cubase and Live.

I suspect that the maximum of 12 instances in this case because of the Ryzen 5 1600x 6 cores and 12 threads.

Anyway, I must say I'm happy with this result as a CPU but not so about Reaper and ARP Odyssey itself regarding the CPU management and optimising.
Just used that Odyssey preset #30 "Feeling Bass" too with my new mobile i7-7700HQ in Live 10.
With one note I am able to play 8 instances at once without crackles. As the patch uses full 16 voice Unison this corresponds to 8 x 16 = 128 voices played at once.

More details about my setup (new notebook bought a few days ago):
Live 10 Suite (64-bit), Windows 10 Home 64-bit, mobile Intel i7-7700HQ 4x 2.80 GHz (up to 3.80 GHz with Turbo Boost), 16 GB DDR4 RAM, HDDs (internal): 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD, GPU: mobile Gefore 1050 TI (Max-Q), audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd Gen) with 256 samples and 44.1 kHz.
Ingo Weidner
notebook: HP Omen 15.6" / Win 10 Home 64-bit / i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (internal) // audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen)

EnGee
KVRAF

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:13 am

Ingonator wrote:
Just used that Odyssey preset #30 "Feeling Bass" too with my new mobile i7-7700HQ in Live 10.
With one note I am able to play 8 instances at once without crackles. As the patch uses full 16 voice Unison this corresponds to 8 x 16 = 128 voices played at once.

Live 10 Suite (64-bit), Windows 10 Home 64-bit, mobile Intel i7-7700HQ 4x 2.80 GHz (up to 3.80 GHz with Turbo Boost), 16 GB DDR4 RAM, HDDs (internal): 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD, GPU: mobile Gefore 1050 TI (Max-Q), audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd Gen) with 256 samples and 44.1 kHz.
Thank you Ingo,

It is as I expected. Your CPU has 4 cores / 8 hyperthreads and it seems Live (like Cubase and FL Studio) distribute the instances evenly among the threads but it can't handle more (because that preset is very heavy). I suppose Ryzen 7 1700 and above can do 16 instances then. Very good to know, it seems the more threads the CPU can handle, the more instances it can processes (at least with new CPUs) :)
Windows 10 & Maschine 2

Ingonator
KVRAF

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:50 am

EnGee wrote:
Ingonator wrote:

Thank you Ingo,

It is as I expected. Your CPU has 4 cores / 8 hyperthreads and it seems Live (like Cubase and FL Studio) distribute the instances evenly among the threads but it can't handle more (because that preset is very heavy). I suppose Ryzen 7 1700 and above can do 16 instances then. Very good to know, it seems the more threads the CPU can handle, the more instances it can processes (at least with new CPUs) :)
Actually as i used a notebook with an i7-7799HQ and not a desktop PC i am quite happy with the results and it is much better than my old i5-3350P based desktop PC.

Your Ryzen 5 1600 seems to be a desktop 6-core CPU. With notebooks 6-core CPUs like e.g. the upcoming Core i7-8700HQ mostly seem to be work in progress but AFAIK not available in actual products yet. In terms of stability (and also the price!!!) it is also not always the best to use CPUs that are totally new.
The i7-7700HQ was out for a while now and is used in many current notebooks including also the current Apple Macbook Pro. My new notebook is a 15.6" one from the HP Omen series (model: 15-ce033ng). With 1399 € (incl. 19% VAT) IMO this notebook has a great performance/features vs price ratio.

Concerning 8th generation mobile i7 a i7-8550U is alraedy available in notebooks but the i7-7700HQ in most tests is faster. Anyway the CPUs with a "U" at the end of the name usally are built for lower power consumption.

I wanted to switch to using only a notebook and no additional dektop since a few years and with the current powerful notebooks i found it was finally time to do it.
When at home i have a bigger display (via mini displayport to DVI cable), a mouse and a external keyboard connected.
Ingo Weidner

EnGee
KVRAF

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:44 am

Yes it is a desktop. I had an HP Envy 4700HQ before but I rarely used it because I prefer the desktop as it is my gaming rig as well. The problem with the notebooks is the heat and the noise actually! My current desktop is more silent than any notebook I used! Well, if I want a portable silent solution for the future, I would buy iPad Pro definitely.

Now, for the Korg Collection, all plugs use very low CPU except ARP Odyssey. Actually, ARP Odyssey uses the most of what I have, RePro 5 comes second (although it depends on the preset to be fair). Only those two, everything else uses very low CPU (even The Legend).

I'm also very happy that my new nektar P4 works perfectly with Legacy Cell and other Korg synths out of the box (except ARP Odyssey which needs mapping to be done).
Windows 10 & Maschine 2

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7238 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Echoes in the Attic wrote:No, it's not about simple EQ. That's not generally what people mean when talking about the characteristics of a synth like big bottom end etc. It's more about the way the oscillators, filter(s) and envelopes interact to give it a certain contour that has a big sound. If you put an older analog emulation next to the real thing 9or a modern accurate VST emulation), there are certain types of sounds you simply won't be able to replicate with EQ and effects. I've tried!
Then you aren't very good at it because if the content is there, you can EQ it. You just need to look at the frequency graph to see that it's there. In fact, I regularly use a low shelf filter to cut the bottom end off to make room for the kick below about 25Hz.

Of course, with some filters you can use resonance to boost the bottom end but that tends to work much, much better in a good V/A synth than it does with a real analogue jobbie. It's along time since I played a vintage Odyssey but if Korg's emulation is close, then you can hear how poor it's original filter was. But it has it's uses and one of them is to put some shove into the bottom end by reducing the cutoff and turning up the resonance and that's really all you are doing with parametric EQ anyway. (The Resonance in that filter model seems to have a very narrow Q.)
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Elektron Analog Keys, Waldorf Pulse 2 MicroMonsta, IK Uno.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7238 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:39 pm

EnGee wrote:Ok, I did my tests with Ryzen 5 1600x and iTwo Asio 256/44.1 setup with Live 9, Cubase 9, Reaper 5.77, Reason 10 and FL Studio 12. I was surprised for some results!
What buffer setting were you using?
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Elektron Analog Keys, Waldorf Pulse 2 MicroMonsta, IK Uno.

EnGee
KVRAF

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:16 pm

BONES wrote:
EnGee wrote:Ok, I did my tests with Ryzen 5 1600x and iTwo Asio 256/44.1 setup with Live 9, Cubase 9, Reaper 5.77, Reason 10 and FL Studio 12. I was surprised for some results!
What buffer setting were you using?
256 with 44.1 khz sample rate
Windows 10 & Maschine 2

Muziksculp
KVRian
1483 posts since 23 Sep, 2005

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:30 pm

I only found a few Korg ARP Odyssey VST videos on Youtube. Most of the videos are for the iOS version, or the HW version.

Hopefully more videos of the Odyssey VST version will be posted in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_qk_7yuDfg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Kv5uhwkVQ

Ingonator
KVRAF

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:53 am

fmr wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
surreal wrote: ? I got the full legacy collection ie ms20, polysix, wavestation, monopoly, m1, as well as mdex yet I must still buy the update option to get odyssey? :help:
Me too ... its $49.99 to add the ARP.
He didn't say he didn't buy the upgrade. What he said is that it was enough to just register ONE plug-in, and all the others became automatically registered, INCLUDING Odyssey.

At least that's how I read it.
Yes that was what i meant. After upgrading from the old Legacy Collections (analog + digital editions) i also received the serial/code for the new "Korg Collection" that includes all plugins including the new Odyssey. With that serial/code i only have to register/activate one plugin and the others will works automatically.
Ingo Weidner

bill45
KVRAF
2227 posts since 15 Jun, 2006

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:05 pm

EnGee wrote:
EnGee wrote:
Ingonator wrote:

What audio interface are you using?

bill45
KVRAF

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:07 pm

EnGee wrote:
EnGee wrote:
Ingonator wrote:

What audio interface are you using?

bill45
KVRAF

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:11 pm

EnGee, What audio interface are you using

Return to “Instruments”