Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ARP Odyssey M1 MDE-X: Software Effects Suite Mono/Poly MS-20 Polysix Wavestation

Well, this is a great update! Ms20 has a new GUI and sequencer, Monopoly looks great and the new resizable interface makes all the difference. I can't wait to see what they do with the Wavestation.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:Well, this is a great update! Ms20 has a new GUI and sequencer, Monopoly looks great and the new resizable interface makes all the difference. I can't wait to see what they do with the Wavestation.
What are you talking about? The MS20 and Monopoly VSTs are still the same old plugins, at the moment.

T-CM11 wrote:
braj wrote:Well, this is a great update! Ms20 has a new GUI and sequencer, Monopoly looks great and the new resizable interface makes all the difference. I can't wait to see what they do with the Wavestation.
What are you talking about? The MS20 and Monopoly VSTs are still the same old plugins, at the moment.
Maybe something to do with the date? But wasn't April fools yesterday?

Cinebient wrote:Sorry but what you call piece of garbage wrapped in iOS apps is on par with the latest and greatest as desktop plug-ins.
No it isn't, because it's stuck in iOS where you can't harness it's power. It's like a fresh kebab thrown in a rubbish bin - it might look like the best kebab you ever tasted but it's in a bin so you're not going to eat it. It's a wasted kebab. Similarly, the greatest synth in the history of the universe that only works in iOS is a wasted synth.
Just the new Moog app is better than all these more expensive plug-ins (of course just my opinion after i compared them myself).
Really? So it's better/easier to play on stage, it simplifies your rig to make your life easier and does all those things that plugins do for real, working musicians, does it? hard to imagine.
Beware, i don´t care how accurate an emulation of one of the anyway different sounding models is but i just believe my ears.
What, through your ridiculously overpriced Ear Pods or your ridiculously overpriced iPad's speaker?
Should i call those a lot more expensive plug-ins garbage since they can´t hold a candle to an iOS app where i even can run several instances on an old smartphone.
I would hope so, given that smartphones cost more than laptops these days.
The Korg iOS synths sound like their deskop ports and got a better GUI on top.
Who cares if I can't use them on stage or with the rest of my studio set-up? And what if the phone rings when you are in the middle of something? Do you spend a grand on a second iPhone just to run your toy synths? It's ridiculous.
Echoes in the Attic wrote:And yet all you have to do to match some aspect of one of these amazing emulations that was so carefully modeled is just to use some EQ on some other synth that wasn't modeled as well.
Not me, I'm perfectly happy with them the way they are. It was these other fools who reckon the real deal has a bigger bottom end but The Legend has no trouble shaking the room the way our Subsequent 37 CV does without any EQ at all. And that's the difference, I have no skin in the game and I can A/B the hardware and software until the cows come home and be objective about them (my bandmate got the Sub37 cheap).
I don't think you even remember which side you are arguing.
No, it seems it is you who has lost your place (see above). My viewpoint is completely consistent.

I'd also point out that just because someone has a different point of view to you, doesn't make them a troll and you'd do well to treat every opinion as valid until you can prove it otherwise. I have the direct access to do just that so my opinion is informed by direct comparison in a consistent setting. i.e. Listening to each through the same mixer, amp and monitors. OTOH, the other side of the argument is fueled by bias and nostalgia.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

@Bones: Indeed there are people which prefer iPads for live usage. Not sure where the problem is.
You seems to stuck in the past. It´s not a problem to get sound out of iOS devices. You can connect midi controllers too it and record everything into your DAW as well or use an audio device etc. Welcome to the future :borg:
What you say is nonsense. It might not fit your workflow but there is another world out there.
I could buy the real thing for over 3 grand or an app which sounds really close for 5 dollar and has 4 voices etc etc.
Did you know you can turn off things in your phone? What garbage you say. Get some imagination.
If you have no clue about these device it´s fine but you can do nearly everything you can do with these apps as i can do on my notebook with plug-ins. And even some pro musician have idevices integrated in the set-up...like you would use a slave computer or hardware synth etc.
Then you could say every piece of hardware today is useless since even software on iOS is more versatile. Nice try :wink:

There are people out there that play the spoons professionally. I do think someone could easily work an iPad into their rig and make it work for them. An iPad and a small keyboard controller makes a powerful portable rig. It's not for everyone, but neither are the spoons.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

For those who read just the latest messages in this thread - this concerns only the iOS update.

Yes, Korg launced the Vst update for the Legacy Collection+, including Arp Odyssey,
but the updates are as bad as the old ones: small GUIs, except the Odyssey - but the Odyssey is practically unusable with in the laptop use. CPU, in the Live 9 /WIn 10 64 bit anyway, hits red as soon as you open the plugin. Decreasing number of voices is no solution, it may help a little, but not enough.

I´ve got a i7 4,8 kHz 16 RAM desktop, it runs the Odyssey, but my i7 2,5 kHz 8 RAM laptop can´t run the Odyssey. I´ve got about 300 plugins, including big libraries in laptop, and have no problem running any of those, the usual CPU hit per instance is 5-12 %, Odyssey goes up up 200 % with many of the presets.

It seems that the KORG policy is to neglect Win and put all effort to the Mac and iOS. What a drag. :evil:

running the odyssey vst on win here pretty much fine.

Yep no problems with Odyssey plugin on W10 here.

I took a quick video using my phone camera.
I browsed just some of KORG Arp Odyssey presets, you can see how it hits the CPU.
Computer specs and DAW specs in the video /description.
Not even Mother Mary in the background helped the huge oveload, when using only one (!) plugin
instance in my Live 9. Great programming, KORG! :party:

https://youtu.be/TudDDqSAmd0

Live isn't known as a particularly efficient host, though...

EvilDragon wrote:Live isn't known as a particularly efficient host, though...
For me Live has been efficient enough - so far. As said, I´ve got about 300 plugins from about 50 different developers running in this laptop, including big libraries and modelling plugins, which often use a lot of CPU (e.g. AAS). No problems with these, average CPU use per instance is 5-15 %, I can run 20+ tracks with tens of plugin installations without any trouble.
KORG Odyssey from some other planet. I bet they have srewed up somehow, when optimizing the plugin: in some combination of DAW, OS and processor type, the Odyssey goes to red, as soon as it is launched.

It a pitty. I have owned the KORG Legacy collection for years and upgraded to the Odyssey as soon as it came out. I like the sound of all those plugins. But KORG should take this issue seriously.
They must know about this issue, I wished they had done something to it, when they launched the update some weeks ago. But I think the latest version of the Odyssey is even worse than the previous one.

braj wrote:There are people out there that play the spoons professionally. I do think someone could easily work an iPad into their rig and make it work for them. An iPad and a small keyboard controller makes a powerful portable rig. It's not for everyone, but neither are the spoons.
You’re not wrong. Here is the live performance of pro in action with no less than 4 iPads and his voice...
https://youtu.be/IYYaLwjXNSk
And here is another one explaining:
https://youtu.be/I_d21FNq5VY

Harry_HH wrote:
For me Live has been efficient enough - so far. As said, I´ve got about 300 plugins from about 50 different developers running in this laptop, including big libraries and modelling plugins, which often use a lot of CPU (e.g. AAS). No problems with these, average CPU use per instance is 5-15 %, I can run 20+ tracks with tens of plugin installations without any trouble.
KORG Odyssey from some other planet. I bet they have srewed up somehow, when optimizing the plugin: in some combination of DAW, OS and processor type, the Odyssey goes to red, as soon as it is launched.

It a pitty. I have owned the KORG Legacy collection for years and upgraded to the Odyssey as soon as it came out. I like the sound of all those plugins. But KORG should take this issue seriously.
They must know about this issue, I wished they had done something to it, when they launched the update some weeks ago. But I think the latest version of the Odyssey is even worse than the previous one.
Live's CPU meter doesn't report actual CPU percentage being used, though.

No issues here in Reaper. It does need some CPU, but not that much more than Diva, say. Also, I don't think they're wasting a lot of CPU... the quality of emulation speaks for itself.

EvilDragon wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:

Live's CPU meter doesn't report actual CPU percentage being used, though.

No issues here in Reaper. It does need some CPU, but not that much more than Diva, say. Also, I don't think they're wasting a lot of CPU... the quality of emulation speaks for itself.
I would happily forget the Live´s CPU meter - but can´t pass the awful digital distortion and clipping, caused by the Odyssey CPU overload.

Return to “Instruments”