Wave Alchemy Evolution

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

grymmjack wrote:Hi all,

I created a VST Spotlight video on this awesome drum instrument. Check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFL0-k5 ... e=youtu.be

Well done, Wave Alchemy! You guys nailed the sweet spot of the micro-tasks and workflow and sound. :tu:
Wow, thanks for taking the time to create such a thorough walkthrough video of Evolution! I'm sure this will be very much appreciated by those interested in finding out more about Evolution :tu:

Thanks for the support!
http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk

Specializing in the development of forward-thinking virtual instruments and sample libraries.

Stefken wrote:Well, the only thing that is currently not covered yet is probability. Giving a note a probability will see to it that a note is not always triggered but triggered according to the probability. A probability of 0,5 would trigger a note on average 1 out of 2 times.

You could sequence that in the fx/macro sequencer i guess.
We will be looking into sequencer trigger probability in the future :D

Specializing in the development of forward-thinking virtual instruments and sample libraries.

wave alchemy wrote:
Stefken wrote:Well, the only thing that is currently not covered yet is probability. Giving a note a probability will see to it that a note is not always triggered but triggered according to the probability. A probability of 0,5 would trigger a note on average 1 out of 2 times.

You could sequence that in the fx/macro sequencer i guess.
We will be looking into sequencer trigger probability in the future :D
Great to see that you guys are so open to suggestions. :tu:

wave alchemy wrote:
grymmjack wrote:Hi all,

I created a VST Spotlight video on this awesome drum instrument. Check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFL0-k5 ... e=youtu.be

Well done, Wave Alchemy! You guys nailed the sweet spot of the micro-tasks and workflow and sound. :tu:
Wow, thanks for taking the time to create such a thorough walkthrough video of Evolution! I'm sure this will be very much appreciated by those interested in finding out more about Evolution :tu:

Thanks for the support!
It's my pleasure :) The instrument is fantastic and until I can teach others how to use it I am convinced I don't know how to use it myself ;)

Quick question. How does Slop work? It's only briefly mentioned in the manual (which is well written but this part was sparsely documented).

What I think I observed:
  • You can set a manual slop value for each step to govern that step in sequence
  • You can drag the slop slider from neutral (the default, middle position) to positive or negative
  • Dragging this slider randomizes the slop amount for every step by a magnitude proportionate to the slider distance from center either way.
  • Each pass through the sequence, it re-randomizes the slop steps if that slider has been adjusted.
I didn't know what that was doing with this, but it seems very subtle and I love it and I can't stop using it now. It really makes the grid locked, quantized sequence sound intentionally programmed as if a human did it.

So to me = humanization, but I want to understand how it works under the hood, if it's operating on timing, pitch, pan, volume, etc.

Also I would like to know more about how the Analog function works. I get it that it randomizes the pan and volume (adjacent sliders near analog) but exactly what is analog slider doing on it's own? Is it governing the depth of modulation of randomness for pan and volume, or is it doing something else? I can't discern with my ears fully what is happening, but I /sense/ something is happening.

Please, let me explain: when I drag the Analog slider upwards but leave the random volume and random pan sliders fully left or at 0 position, I cannot hear anything different except perhaps a placebo in my mind if the analog slider is up. Now, I haven't metered this I'm only using my ears at this point but I would love to know more about how that works.

Also, I simply adore the addition of the per channel transient processor for attack/sustain.

Hi grymmjack,

Nice video :tu:
In your video the Slop slider didn't have any effect because you were on track 1. It seems that on this track, the Slop parameter doesn't have any effect (I think that idea behind this is to keep for example the timing of a kick straight, while being offset the other tracks thus making a more humanized groove).

I'll let WA confirm that :wink:

Cheers,
GilJ.
P.S. Concerning the Analog/Intensity function, to my ears it seems to randomly be modulating slightly the pitch/offset/filter. But I'm not sure if that's actually it.

I didnt likr this plugin..i thought predator is the best plugin you can find per price

grymmjack wrote:
It's my pleasure :) The instrument is fantastic and until I can teach others how to use it I am convinced I don't know how to use it myself ;)

Quick question. How does Slop work? It's only briefly mentioned in the manual (which is well written but this part was sparsely documented).

What I think I observed:
  • You can set a manual slop value for each step to govern that step in sequence
  • You can drag the slop slider from neutral (the default, middle position) to positive or negative
  • Dragging this slider randomizes the slop amount for every step by a magnitude proportionate to the slider distance from center either way.
  • Each pass through the sequence, it re-randomizes the slop steps if that slider has been adjusted.
I didn't know what that was doing with this, but it seems very subtle and I love it and I can't stop using it now. It really makes the grid locked, quantized sequence sound intentionally programmed as if a human did it.

So to me = humanization, but I want to understand how it works under the hood, if it's operating on timing, pitch, pan, volume, etc.

Also I would like to know more about how the Analog function works. I get it that it randomizes the pan and volume (adjacent sliders near analog) but exactly what is analog slider doing on it's own? Is it governing the depth of modulation of randomness for pan and volume, or is it doing something else? I can't discern with my ears fully what is happening, but I /sense/ something is happening.

Please, let me explain: when I drag the Analog slider upwards but leave the random volume and random pan sliders fully left or at 0 position, I cannot hear anything different except perhaps a placebo in my mind if the analog slider is up. Now, I haven't metered this I'm only using my ears at this point but I would love to know more about how that works.

Also, I simply adore the addition of the per channel transient processor for attack/sustain.
Thanks again for the kind words and feedback!

Slop essentially randomly delays the time between each drum hit being triggered on the same step. At moderate values this helps create an analogue / human feel, and at extreme values it sounds over the top and almost broken.

Lane 1 has no slop, and then goes all the way up to Lane 12 - delaying each drum by a set amount on the way.

When using the slop slider, the value of delay on each step is randomized each time the sequencer restarts for a non-repeating analogue / human feel. Essentially this creates a random timing effect so you never hear all the drums hitting at exactly the same time.

Regarding the 'Analogue' slider, you are essentially correct - it is a clever mix of drum start time/offset (very minor), volume, pitch, filter etc. All of which are subtly randomized, and can be intensified by turning up the slider.

The analogue slider is actually very noticeable depending on which drum type you have selected. Try playing a 16th note fast snare roll with the slider turned all the way off (classic machine gun affect most want to avoid). Now turn it all the way up, and the machine gun affect has gone, and it sounds much more organic. Also try loading a short pitched type percussion sound and turning this slider up - you will clearly hear it has a big affect over the sound :tu:

GilJ wrote:Hi grymmjack,

Nice video :tu:
In your video the Slop slider didn't have any effect because you were on track 1. It seems that on this track, the Slop parameter doesn't have any effect (I think that idea behind this is to keep for example the timing of a kick straight, while being offset the other tracks thus making a more humanized groove).

I'll let WA confirm that :wink:

Cheers,
GilJ.
P.S. Concerning the Analog/Intensity function, to my ears it seems to randomly be modulating slightly the pitch/offset/filter. But I'm not sure if that's actually it.
You are totally correct GilJ :D

Question before purchasing. Am I limited to only having 12 patterns? I tried the demo and can’t figure out how to add additional patterns. I read the Manuel and no clear answer. With the amount of functionality and tweaks one can set for each step on the sequencer one would deffently want more than only 12 patterns to be able to take advantage of these features. Thanks for your time and feedback to whom can help me. This is what will determine my purchase as it is the only thing holding me back

Kida000 wrote:Question before purchasing. Am I limited to only having 12 patterns? I tried the demo and can’t figure out how to add additional patterns. I read the Manuel and no clear answer. With the amount of functionality and tweaks one can set for each step on the sequencer one would deffently want more than only 12 patterns to be able to take advantage of these features. Thanks for your time and feedback to whom can help me. This is what will determine my purchase as it is the only thing holding me back
I did not see a way to do it. After inserting 12 patterns, there was no 13th that was activated nor a way to add more patterns.
It only shows 12 on the interface. If there were more, I guess they would have added more numbers on the interface?

Use a second instance instead?

My 2 cents.

Kida000 wrote:Question before purchasing. Am I limited to only having 12 patterns? I tried the demo and can’t figure out how to add additional patterns. I read the Manuel and no clear answer. With the amount of functionality and tweaks one can set for each step on the sequencer one would deffently want more than only 12 patterns to be able to take advantage of these features. Thanks for your time and feedback to whom can help me. This is what will determine my purchase as it is the only thing holding me back
Evolution currently allows for 12 saved sequencer patterns inside a single instance (we can look at adding more in the future), but you can also use sequencer loop functions (page 33 of the manual).

However, for even more versatility, you can use the MIDI drag & drop (MIDI EXP) button, and to create a patterns and then drag this MIDI directly to your DAW, so you can do whatever you like with the MIDI - duplicate it, re-arrange it to create full tracks etc.

You can see how to do this in the following video -https://youtu.be/AbCa94Ze2tE

Free Demo Version of Evolution

For those interested, you can now directly download a Free (slim) version of Evolution - powered by 800 drum sounds. No need to register or sign up, you can download directly from this link: https://we.tl/Iyg5rkgWF1

The free Slim / Demo version has the following limitations in comparison to the full version of Evolution:

- Limited to just 800 Samples. (Full version boasts almost 30,00 thousand unique sounds and powerful sound design tools)

- Limited to just 2 high-quality custom Impulse Response reverbs. (Full version features 190)

- Limited to just 12 playable Drum Banks, which each of these featuring reduced sound content. (Full version features 188 Drum Banks, fully modular and each with multiple Analogue Tape versions)

- Drum Selector Drum Bank Buttons are fully disabled

- Limited to just one Preset. (Full version delivers over 400 presets)

- Limited to just one Layer / Transient sound per Drum Channel. (Full version delivers thousands of unique and creative Layering Tools, Sound Design Tools, Transients and Prepared Acoustic sounds per Voice

- Visual waveforms for each sound are limited and not dynamic. (The full version’s visual waveforms are 100% dynamic and unique for every single sound

- Not fully Kontakt Free Player ready. (The full version of Evolution will fully run in Free Kontakt Player with NO limitations_

@WA
Any news on a CPU saving LE version a la Revolution?

@wavealchemy If I were to buy this, is there anyway that I can use it with my Ableton Push 2?

db3 wrote:@WA
Any news on a CPU saving LE version a la Revolution?
We are working on this, and it will come at the same time as the 1.1 update, with Poly Rhythmic sequencing, Module version and more.

We are looking at an end of March / Early April release for the update :tu:

Return to “Instruments”