Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Roland Cloud

The hardware JV-1080 is multitimbral in that it can load a complete setup for 16 parts (each one a preset) and global FX - called a "Performance" in JV.

If the plugin cannot support full compatibility with this, also not supporting the whole Performance object, I'm afraid that it is more aimed at getting the old and classic sounds for new projects rather than migrating projects made with the hardware JV.

- Mario

In the Roland Cloud thread i just posted this about the presets in the plugin:
Ingonator wrote:A note concerning the presets in the JV-1080 plugin:

The preset banks A to C correspond to the ROM banks A to C in the JV-1080 and JV-2080 while the bank D in the plugin corresponds to ROM bank E in the JV-2080 (i checked that in the JV-2080 manual).

The ROM bank D from JV-1080/2080 which corresponds to a GM bank does not seem to be included with the plugin.

Bank E in the plugin contains Rhythm sets with the first 8 patches in the bank. Those Rhythm sets also have different edit pages than the "normal" patches.
I had also posted screenshots of all 12 patch edit pages of the plugin in the Roland Cloud thread:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7#p6965927
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: Anyway the JV-1080 plugin is not just a simple 1:1 emulation, the advanced features make it closer to the XV-3080 and XV-5080 synths.
This also includes having all 1083 PCM waves from those XV synths instead of just having the 448 original waveforms of the JV-1080.
Additionally the plugin like those XV synths has true stereo waveforms for each of the 4 "Tones", has 10 "structures" (that define the routing of 2 of the 4 tones including e.g. having serial filters, ring modulation and a "booster"), 2 additional LPF modes from those XV synths and also many more FXs than the real JV-1080 .
Finally i found that the 78 effects as included with the JV-1080 plugin are not indentical to those in the JV-1080/2080 and XV-3080/5080 hardware synths but to those as included with the Fantom X6 workstation (first version from 2004).
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

deastman wrote:“one of the most popular synthesizers in history”

Really? I find that a bit of a stretch.

Granted, I still have mine, but it doesn’t see any use these days (least of all because of my ex-wife deliberately smashing the display). No, I can’t see this being the plugin which tips the scales to make me pay a monthly fee to Roland.
I personally don't care much these about old sample-based stuff. Something like a JX-10/MKS-70 emulation would much more interesting I think.

I guess there is a lot of nostalgia for these digital romper based synths that were expensive and lusted after in the 90's before computers replaced the hardware. There are no doubt some nice sounds, but nothing compared to what can be done with newer VSTRs such as Omnisphere, Halion, Falcon and Avenger for example. Personally for this type of sound I like the Korg Wavestation and M1 just as much which comes with a lot of the expansion cards and can be bought as part of the new Korg bundle with the amazing ARP for under 150 bucks...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:I guess there is a lot of nostalgia for these digital romper based synths that were expensive and lusted after in the 90's before computers replaced the hardware. There are no doubt some nice sounds, but nothing compared to what can be done with newer VSTRs such as Omnisphere, Halion, Falcon and Avenger for example. Personally for this type of sound I like the Korg Wavestation and M1 just as much which comes with a lot of the expansion cards and can be bought as part of the new Korg bundle with the amazing ARP for under 150 bucks...
The comparison to something like e.g. Omnisphere, Falcon or Avenger seems to be quite pointless for me and while i like the M1 plugin the synth engine of the JV-1080 plugin is a LOT more compex than that of the M1 plugin.
Those synth engines are not even remotely comparable IMO. Even a lot of modern sample based softsynths do not include all the features of the JV-1080 plugin.

Besides that as mentioned in this and the other thread the JV-1080 plugin inlcudes additional features based on hardware successors like XV-5080 (all PCM waveforms, stereo waveforms, additional structures, 2 additional LPF modes) and Fantom X6 (the FXs inclued there).
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
Ingonator wrote: Anyway the JV-1080 plugin is not just a simple 1:1 emulation, the advanced features make it closer to the XV-3080 and XV-5080 synths.
This also includes having all 1083 PCM waves from those XV synths instead of just having the 448 original waveforms of the JV-1080.
Additionally the plugin like those XV synths has true stereo waveforms for each of the 4 "Tones", has 10 "structures" (that define the routing of 2 of the 4 tones including e.g. having serial filters, ring modulation and a "booster"), 2 additional LPF modes from those XV synths and also many more FXs than the real JV-1080 .
Finally i found that the 78 effects as included with the JV-1080 plugin are not indentical to those in the JV-1080/2080 and XV-3080/5080 hardware synths but to those as included with the Fantom X6 workstation (first version from 2004).
Does it have the spectrum effect? That´s one of the most interesting things about the JV-1080.

Too sad that this is "pay-per-view". It´s indeed an outstanding rompler, but I don´t see who else than collectors that´d be willing to choose this one over any half as good rompler that comes as a local installation, free of this cloud subscription scheme.
Best Regards

Roman Empire

SLiC wrote:I guess there is a lot of nostalgia for these digital romper based synths that were expensive and lusted after in the 90's before computers replaced the hardware. There are no doubt some nice sounds, but nothing compared to what can be done with newer VSTRs such as Omnisphere, Halion, Falcon and Avenger for example. Personally for this type of sound I like the Korg Wavestation and M1 just as much which comes with a lot of the expansion cards and can be bought as part of the new Korg bundle with the amazing ARP for under 150 bucks...
There are some genres that prefer the older less perfect sounds that the more modern synths 'fixed'.....
I still have my JV2080 that I plug in occasionally and maybe it is just sentimentality but I get some sounds on it that take me places that the newer workstation types don't.
ymmv
rsp
sound sculptist

Roman Empire wrote: Does it have the spectrum effect? That´s one of the most interesting things about the JV-1080.
It includes all effects of the JV-1080 but as the effects are similar to that in the Fantom X6 the effects have a different number as in the JV-1080. JV-1080 had 40 FXs while Fantom X6 and JV-1080 plugin have 78.

The Spectrum FX is included and it is indeed interesting also as this orks like a 8 band filter bank.

As mentioend earlier same is true for the waveforms. Those in the plugin are similar to the 1083 PCM waves in the XV-5080 but all of the 448 JV-1080 waves are included while the waveform numbers there are different to those in JV-1080 hardware.
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Well modern romper/wave based synths sounds better to me and is far easier to program than the JV-1080 VST multi page paradigm, I guess I just don't see the point of modelling this old digital stuff in software, but other people obviously like it so each to there own. Time will tell if it will be enough to get people to subscribe to the cloud, I like Roland's analogue modelled stuff ([particularly the system 8 plug more than the emulations) but have no need of the digital/sample player (concerto) stuff so remain a non-subscriber.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I am currently checking some of the FXs in the JV-1080 plugin that are specific to the Fantom X6 and not incuded with the previous hardware synths like e.g. XV-5080.

For example the "Step Pitch Shifter" (effect No. 63) could act like a 16 step sequencer here for eaach step you can set teh pitch between -24 and +12 semitones.
Besides this one the FX section includes multipe other step FXs too.
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

SLiC wrote:Well modern romper/wave based synths sounds better to me and is far easier to program than the JV-1080 VST multi page paradigm, I guess I just don't see the point of modelling this old digital stuff in software, but other people obviously like it so each to there own. Time will tell if it will be enough to get people to subscribe to the cloud, I like Roland's analogue modelled stuff ([particularly the system 8 plug more than the emulations) but have no need of the digital/sample player (concerto) stuff so remain a non-subscriber.
+1

I owned, and loved, a JV-1080 back in the day. But I tried the plugin with a trial cloud account, and it just sounded dated rather than vintage.

fanodu1 wrote: I personally don't care much these about old sample-based stuff. Something like a JX-10/MKS-70 emulation would much more interesting I think.
I personally don't care much for yet another emulation of an old analog dinosaur. We have a zillion already.

The JV-1080 and other sample based synths defined the sound of an era. They were ubiquitous on everything from chart topping songs to movies and television themes and incidental music.

Compared to the samples of today they weren't very realistic for pianos etc but they all contained some unique sample content that gave them all a different character.

Even though I sold my analog hardware I still have a Korg 03 R/W, Roland JV880 and U-220, and an Alesis S4 Plus. Even though I don't use them due to the hassles of hardware compared to all "in the box production" I would still be interested in purchasing them in VSTi format as their sounds are a breath of fresh air in comparison to stale analog. Sadly I am not interested in the Roland Cloud delivery system. :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

meh, for those 90s rompler sounds in VST you can use something like Ravity(s)
its like $40 theres also KLC M1 and WS at $50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzGYYODrrhc
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Yes, but KLC sounds like a Korg, this sounds like a Roland. The difference does exist (i.e. Roland had much better digital filters at the time, and sample content is beyond ubiquitous. Nothing else is quite like it, which is why I own a JD-990 in hardware). :)

Return to “Instruments”