Repro or Diva?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

SmartCat wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
SmartCat wrote:Repro is new and sounds fantastic.
If you could only go for one, which one would it be?
I tried both demo versions and the two Repro synths won for me.
Then you answered it already......but i own both and i also would choose Repro over Diva by a country mile.
Thanks for your reply. Do you miss any essential features in Repro? And what about the cpu performance? I compared all 3 synths and Repro (1 especially) seems to force down my computer after the third instance. But I have to admit that I don´t have the fastest cores, I´m on a windows 10, 64 bit dual Xeon machine.
I always miss features in every synth :D
But while Diva is of course great and might be more versatile in general i think Repro is next level stuff and is at the very high end on what it does.
Diva is great but there are some other synths which can do similar things for me while Repro is in a class of it´s own for this character.
The thing i miss most in Repro would be that i would like to have more modulation slots and OSC to modulate everything (like a semi-modular). But that would take it already into ACE or Bazille area and for that......there is ACE and Bazille of course.
Otherwise i can get quite mellow sounds out of Repro as well as that raw and wonderful distorted power.
Then i love the Repro-1 sequencer and Repro-1 mono modes are so great to perform with it.
I like to use the sequencer as modulation source (via velocity) as well and that you can modulate the speed of the sequencer.
Also the FX are top.
I own a lot synths and Repro is my Nr. 2 while Diva is maybe in my Top 10.
Try them for a while and see what clicks more with you.
Of course is best is to get them both. :D

SmartCat wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote:I only own Repro have have demoed Diva a few times. Diva sounds great, but I don't hear the gulf between it and others that I do with the Repros. Of course, it is more versatile though.
Yes, Diva sounds great as well. May I ask you what kind of music do you play and compose?
Pretty much anything and everything - loads of TV work and side projects of interest to me and no-one else on the planet, usually late 70s - early 80s synth / guitar influenced (early Simple Minds, Kraftwerk, YMO, Jarre, Human League, U2... Joy Division getting some love from me at the moment... can you guess my age?). But I'm pitching at the moment for a contemporary TV scoring job for which Repro 5 was magnificent (think I used just Repro 5 and Omni).

FWIW I think the Repros can also be pretty creamy, and certainly warm.

Shamless plug for a recent electronica cover of a Kate Bush song with a Romanian composer / singer Mirela Nita - FWIW the synths here were 100% Repro 1 and Omni 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWPcRUW ... e=youtu.be
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Urs wrote:Diva for smooth analogue sweet spots all over. Repro for the raw stuff.
It's funny you say that because I see it the other way around. And I've heard others say something similar.

To me Diva goes a fair bit outside the sweet spot areas of the originals that the modules are based on. But that's cool and makes it versatile. Repro on the other hand seems to be more of a sweet spot synth. Now I'll admit that the Prophet-5, compared to other synths of the era, could go further out of typical sweet spot range, but I still think compared to Diva that Repro-1 and 5 are more of a big sweet spot.

Anyways as for the original question, it also depends on what else you have. For me I'm fairly happy with Monark/Reaktor and other stuff for the specific modules in Diva (and will be getting The Drop for those wonderful MS-20 filters among other filters), so I have only Repro. However if you didn't have other stuff, especially the Moog and MS-20 components, I could see someone preferring Diva for it's range. I also like that I can record and use MPE data in bitwig (like pitch changes on the midi editor notes) for Repro-1 in mono, whereas I can't do that with Diva, since it's mono mode will still be polyphonic when receiving on different midi channels (long story, a Bitwig MPE implementation thing).

The "microcosm" of Repro is by far the nearest approximation of the "real" analog that i've heard so far.
It's a giant leap...

Personally, i don't use Diva that much (said that, Zebra [HZ] does most of my synth duties, it's the perfect synth for most of my needs), but still i like it a lot.

I wonder if the filter modules in Diva would sound different if u-he would revise them with the experience of the years between Diva and Repro... My guess is that the jupiter 8 modules with the equal quality as heard in Repro would be my personal hoe (heaven on earth).

I've got to go with Repro.

Diva
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

For me, Diva.

Repro hands down.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

There is probably not much sense in making them too similar, else people would buy only one of them.

Urs wrote:Diva for smooth analogue sweet spots all over. Repro for the raw stuff.
That's the spot on answer.
To conclude, get both. :)

If you owned neither and are trying to figure out what to buy right now? Get the RePro while it's still on sale. It's a steal at $99. It's totally worth the $149 U-he will be asking after the sale period expires. Diva is just as good, BTW. It's just not on sale.

W23, fueling GAS since 2016. :hihi:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

They're both capable of beautiful lushness and brutal rawness, and their filters are in their own class. However, Diva is objectively more flexible for the long run. But if RePro does everything you are looking for now, then you have your answer. And like W23 said, as the intro price is generally the lowest price on a u-He synth for several years, if you know you're going to get it eventually, it may as well be now.

In my view the choice is not just between Repro and Diva, but amongst the best of the current crop of modelled analog synths.

We have a wealth of choices at our disposal such as Repro, Diva, The Legend, Korg/ARP Odyssey and selected synths from the V Collection.

Myself, I have been acquiring them as I perceive the designers nail a particular synth, such that another won't likely come along and supplant it. So far, I have gone with The Legend and Repro as I have my doubts the fidelity and accuracy could ever be improved upon barring a dedicated DSP version. Next, I am not sure - but something like the newly released Korg/Arp Odyssey seems to fit the mold.

Return to “Instruments”