One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

foxAsteria wrote:@generaldiomedes The built in "drift" and unpredictability is what I loved about this synth. It's not out of control though.
Hmm, I thought drift was more around harmonic content or pitch, not amplitude (or at least to the degree that I observed). I would term that more as a drop rather than a drift :)

Slthough, since I am using sine waves for the drum sound I suppose the filter, depending on the cutoff frequency, could result in a drop in amplitude with frequency drift.

Using Reaper I see that the last 3 automation items are: Drift amount, bypass and wet.

HTH

dB

generaldiomedes wrote:
foxAsteria wrote:@generaldiomedes The built in "drift" and unpredictability is what I loved about this synth. It's not out of control though.
Hmm, I thought drift was more around harmonic content or pitch, not amplitude (or at least to the degree that I observed). I would term that more as a drop rather than a drift :)

Slthough, since I am using sine waves for the drum sound I suppose the filter, depending on the cutoff frequency, could result in a drop in amplitude with frequency drift.
I assume you're using two oscillators for the kick - I am only using one, and I don't have this thing on my kick.

If two oscillators are playing with same-ish pitch (but not the exact same), then they'll go in and out of phase with one another, alternating between boosting and cutting the final output. Imagine perfect sine and cosine wave at the same frequency = 0 output. Then add drifting to that.

That FM issue I had earlier was that I did not know about exponential FM. All I knew was linear FM ala Operator, DX7 etc, but this synth doesn't do that. More info for the curious.

colonp wrote: I assume you're using two oscillators for the kick - I am only using one, and I don't have this thing on my kick.

If two oscillators are playing with same-ish pitch (but not the exact same), then they'll go in and out of phase with one another, alternating between boosting and cutting the final output. Imagine perfect sine and cosine wave at the same frequency = 0 output. Then add drifting to that.
That is correct,I was using two oscillators. I was just reading about phase cancellation the other day but I didn't put two and two together. Thanks!

Don't know whats going on, but VK-1 is crashing Ardour immediately on load. If I load it into FL-Minhost inside Ardour, it will run and doesn't crash.
It is also fine in Bitwig. Unfortunately Bitwig doesn't work for me, as it scrambles/limits the Midi channel information my LinnStrument is sending. All happening in OS X Sierra...

pilotredsun wrote:https://soundcloud.com/pilotredsun/pilo ... itamin-kid
I've been a fan of this synth since I downloaded it the other week. Sometimes it hogs RAM but it sounds lovely
I really dig that flute lead, nice work!

puhh, it is really hard to work with this synth. Overall hung notes in Reaper 5.7 with Win10 x64. Maybe the updates for meltdown spectre issues makes trouble? But with other synths all went fine.

jasinski wrote: The manual indicates that you can control the drift as a hidden parameter that is visible in the DAW's automation lane. I can't seem to get to it in Live 9 but you may find more success?
I was able to get at it by turning on PluginAutoPopulateThreshold in Options.txt

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... e-for-Live

by default it is set at 0.83

Nice find Generaldiomedes! Thanks!

jasinski wrote:Nice find Generaldiomedes! Thanks!
No probs .. it seems to only work the first time you load a vst so you may have to recreate some instruments.

ckoe wrote:puhh, it is really hard to work with this synth. Overall hung notes in Reaper 5.7 with Win10 x64. Maybe the updates for meltdown spectre issues makes trouble? But with other synths all went fine.
Mail the dev if they haven't contacted you yet. They sent me a new version and those problems went away.

jasinski wrote:
The manual indicates that you can control the drift as a hidden parameter that is visible in the DAW's automation lane. I can't seem to get to it in Live 9 but you may find more success?
Thanks Jasinski. Yep, it's there. I probably have my terminology all messed up. I was thinking more of an oscillator phase sync retrigger thing, rather than pitch drift. I am having some fun with the drift cranked to max though.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Just figured out (at last) pizMIDI. What a dream. Thank's a bunch DB!

Excited to be finishing another track for this month.

I like many of the tunes I’m hearing so far. This must be a good synth.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Hello friends,

This is my entry for this month's OSC.

https://soundcloud.com/baalisoda/crimes-of-passion

DAW FL Studio

VK-1 Synth x7

Following are the details of FX plugins (all are freeware) that I have used for this track

TDR VOS Slick EQ x1
TDR Nova x8
A1 Stereo Control x6
Pushtec EQ x7
StereoTool x1
FerricTDS x1
Freeverb3 Wind Compressor x1
Ozone Imager x1
LoudMax x1
Bionic Supa Delay x3
Ambient Reverb x1
DD Compressor x5