One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
borealfarmer
KVRist
66 posts since 4 Nov, 2017 from Canada

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:16 pm

eraze the borders wrote:
doctorbob wrote: Mind you, I am treating every midi track as requiring *polyphony* - even the basslines - and stick pizMidiPolyphony as the only VST on the midi track and then route on "n" tracks with different midi channels and each with their own instance of VK1. So far so good - had one complete reaper crash - but just once (first ever on this machine). Takes about 10% cpu with all fx in as well (light fx use!).

Cheers

dB
Wow, that's amazing! Just tried the pizMidiPolyphony, what a great utility. Thanks Doc :hug:
+1

Darksynth FX
KVRist
141 posts since 15 May, 2016 from Vienna

Re: One Synth Challenge #107: VK-1 Viking by Blamsoft

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:04 pm

Blamsoft wrote:I was able to reproduce the problem and it should be fixed now. Please give it a try. The new version is 1.0.3d3. It can be downloaded from http://blamsoft.com/vst/vk-1-viking-synthesizer. Please let me know if it fixes the problem.
Works fine now after a first test run with version 1.0.3d3 on Ableton Live 9.7.5/Windows 10. No more hanging/wrong notes. Thx a lot Blamsoft for the quick fix!
Female dark synth producer.
https://soundcloud.com/darksynth-fx

Daru925
KVRist
196 posts since 20 Mar, 2015 from Nerima, Tokyo

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:20 pm

Blamsoft wrote:I was able to reproduce the problem and it should be fixed now. Please give it a try. The new version is 1.0.3d3. It can be downloaded from http://blamsoft.com/vst/vk-1-viking-synthesizer. Please let me know if it fixes the problem.
Thanks for contacting me and working on patch, so far it's working as intended! :clap:

generaldiomedes
KVRian
502 posts since 15 Apr, 2017 from Canada

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:49 pm

For Ableton I found this little device for polyphony. Thanks doctorbob, didn't even think to look for such a device.

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/2192/polymind

Works great, put a master device on one channel and then satellite devices on each destination channel.

jasinski
KVRian
597 posts since 20 Oct, 2003 from Seattle

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:03 am

borealfarmer wrote:
eraze the borders wrote:
doctorbob wrote: Mind you, I am treating every midi track as requiring *polyphony* - even the basslines - and stick pizMidiPolyphony as the only VST on the midi track and then route on "n" tracks with different midi channels and each with their own instance of VK1. So far so good - had one complete reaper crash - but just once (first ever on this machine). Takes about 10% cpu with all fx in as well (light fx use!).

Cheers

dB
Wow, that's amazing! Just tried the pizMidiPolyphony, what a great utility. Thanks Doc :hug:
+1
Cool idea and cool plug in. It doesn't work in Live unfortunately.

eraze the borders
KVRist
124 posts since 4 Apr, 2012 from Berlin, Germany

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:26 am

doctorbob wrote: [...]
Phew! Hope this makes some sense to Reaperites at least.

dB
Very clever routing. There's still so much to learn for me in Reaper. I never thought about a "pre-master" track. Really good idea.

Thanks again Doc! :hug:
Failure is success in progress.

doctorbob
KVRian
1166 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:34 am

eraze the borders wrote: I never thought about a "pre-master" track. Really good idea.
The thing is that fx on the reaper "master channel" don't get the multi-cpu treatment and compete with the audio out thread as well (as far as I understand). So, basically your mastering fx can hog the cpu *and* cause poor audio out performance and even dropouts! By simply making a standard track (ie pre-master) you get all the advantages of the farming out of the master fx around your various processor threads. In most cases reducing the RT Cpu usage considerably (in the reaper performance meter, you can see this value), and this is the one which if hitting the limit can cause poor audio out/glitches.

Anyway, now on to get the new version. Thanks for the update.

edit: New version seems nice and stable - no problems so far - good work! :phones: :clap:

dB

functionform
KVRist
218 posts since 13 May, 2017 from Virginia

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:13 am

Off to a good start there NeverScene. You guys make it sound so easy! The tom roll is epic. DON'T share your patches, must learn on my own! :)

Kontrollgruppe
KVRer
9 posts since 23 Dec, 2017

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:20 am

https://soundcloud.com/wush-1/anchor

DAW: Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
FX:
- 1x Cakewalk Stereo Delay
- 6x ProChannel (equalizer)
- 1x Sonitus Compressor
- 1x Sonitus Multiband
- 1x Sonitus Reverb
Synths:
- 6x Blamsoft VK-1 Viking

aluode
KVRist
94 posts since 2 Jan, 2005

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:39 am

My Entry "Ancient Synth Noises"

https://soundcloud.com/antti-luode/ancient-synth-noises

10 instances of Viking. With some effectors as reverbs and limiter on master.

The file is at:

The FLP file is at: (70 Ancient Synth Noises.zip)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1t5a ... kVvUnFPMkk

Antti

functionform
KVRist

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:07 am

I'm getting terrible performance on the latest one. I should've kept my old copy! Just 1 midi channel produces 25-28% usage cpu. 4 channels slows reaper to a crawl and distortion is heard everywhere not caused by clipping.

This is windows 10 Reaper x64 16 gig mem i7.

Can you upload the old copy of the synth as well?

Taron
KVRAF
2252 posts since 17 Apr, 2010 from Croatia

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:20 am

Jumping into the conversation again, the new version finally actually works beautifully for me! The one thing to avoid is the HQ filter, but other than that, performance here is quite fine under Win7 64 bit with MuLab. :tu:

doctorbob
KVRian
1166 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:57 am

Taron wrote:Jumping into the conversation again, the new version finally actually works beautifully for me!
Great and "aww schucks" I feel another epic track is coming!!!
The one thing to avoid is the HQ filter.
Indeed - on my Win10 Reaper, normal filter is 0.6% cpu and HQ filter 4.6%!!! Mind you I am still only on 13% overall cpu with 71 fx and a mere 28 VK1's. Now to layer up the sounds - enjoying the synth a lot. Getting a nice retro sound from it (not surprising!). Going lounge cheese!!! :dog:

dB

functionform
KVRist

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:59 am

Ok, on Standard Circuit instead of HQ, the CPU usage is from 3-6% on a simple loop (per instance). With HQ a single loop (4 bars) is 25% or so CPU. This is crazy. I'm pretty sure the old version was under 3% with HQ mode on.

Please link the old version, so I can test (and maybe use that version instead)?

Thank you for working with us, I know this must be a pain in the butt! You will be rewarded with amazing tracks!

Blamsoft
KVRer
10 posts since 15 Jun, 2015

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:43 am

There have been changes that affect CPU usage in various versions. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Last edited by Blamsoft on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”