Current Best Value Commercial Software Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

telecharge wrote:I'm curious to know from Reaktor fans if they are using v5 or v6?
Reaktor 6 here. Blocks make it a no brainer. And you can still use Reaktor 5 ensembles.

Since there's so much discussion, I'll delay locking the thread. However, I do think value has become more or less meaningless with everyone's choices. So that's that. :hihi:
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:Since there's so much discussion, I'll delay locking the thread. However, I do think value has become more or less meaningless with everyone's choices. So that's that. :hihi:
Value is meaningless because you didn't define it in some way. I believe that I pointed that out on page one.

wagtunes wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
wagtunes wrote:The more I think about it, the more I have to agree with the person who said Reaktor 6. There are countless number of synths and FX that come with it or can be downloaded from the user area, not to mention how many synths you can build on your own.
While that is really true i just hate the workflow and GUI as well and so i use it once a months while i use other synths every 1-2 days.
So it will took me some time to get value. If it works still in 10 years i might see the point.
Well yeah, that's gonna be true with any synth. If you can't stand working with it, doesn't matter what it can do.

Quite honestly, I don't know why I don't use Reaktor more than I do. I think part of the problem is that there is just too much stuff. It's like a bottomless pit and I don't know where to begin. One synth in the collection you can get lost in for weeks. There is one sequencer in the user area that will take you a year to learn how to use. It's the most amazing beast of a sequencer I've ever seen. And that's just one module.
Well, Reaktor for me has the most value so far, while I am not considering it as synthesizer.
I would consider it more as visual programming language for audio processing like MAX or Pure Data.

There may be a very steep learning curve to learn it in detail like for any programming language but it gives a lot of entry points for the beginning user like browsing the factory and user library which are a cornucopia of everything from the bread and butter synths and effects to the strangest emanations of developer's weirdness. Very inspiring.

And since NI launched the "Blocks" library it is even better as you can use Reaktor as an excellent modular system. The community spits new and useful Blocks every day. And this very coarse level is an excellent entry point to the paradigms of the visual language development system reaktor without much frustrations all beginners may have learning a new developmemt system.

And not only that: Some of my favourite synths are developed in Reaktor and use it as mainframe or runtime if you want to call it like this. Monark is an outstanding emulation of a Minimoog. Kontour, Razor, Prism, Skanner and Spark cover nearly any field of synthesis. I feel that I explored none of them to the half of their capacities. OK, the synths called in this paragraph have to be payed seperately but they aren't that expensive and once you run them in Reaktor (not the Player) you can decompose them and build your own Frankenstein synth.

Everyone who is seriously interested in sound design should have at least tried various audio programming languages like MAX or Reaktor or if (s)he is more the writing type Supercollider or CSound. There is nothing but this systems which gave me so much insights in developing sounds and acoustics in general like these.

So the current best value commercial software synths are Fathom, Monark, Padshop & Hybrid. But that opinion can change on a daily base ;-)
Last edited by ReverendLove on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
egbert101 wrote:Since there's so much discussion, I'll delay locking the thread. However, I do think value has become more or less meaningless with everyone's choices. So that's that. :hihi:
Value is meaningless because you didn't define it in some way. I believe that I pointed that out on page one.
Buy a dictionary. :hihi:

egbert101 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Buy a dictionary. :hihi:
You can't shift the blame here, by allowing value to be anything to anyone you allow any subjective measure of value. The dictionary is useless in helping your useless favorites list be anything interesting.

ghettosynth wrote: You can't shift the blame here, by allowing value to be anything to anyone you allow any subjective measure of value. The dictionary is useless in helping your useless favorites list be anything interesting.
Sorry, don't understand anything you're saying, as words are subjective. :hihi:

egbert101 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: You can't shift the blame here, by allowing value to be anything to anyone you allow any subjective measure of value. The dictionary is useless in helping your useless favorites list be anything interesting.
Sorry, don't understand anything you're saying, as words are subjective. :hihi:
I don't think that's the reason that you don't understand, something else is at work there.

Omnisphere (Still on the first iteration), and Reaktor, for me :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Omnisphere (Still on the first iteration), and Reaktor, for me :tu:
Omisphere... My constant temptation.

Return to “Instruments”