Top 10 VST Purchases Of 2017

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
wagtunes
KVRAF
13983 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:35 am

dandezebra wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Scotty wrote:Condolences on the loss of your father Waags. I really love the passion you bring to the conversation and I appreciate the honesty of your comments. You are a breath of fresh air. All the best in 2018.
Thanks. I believe in "Tell 'em like you see 'em but don't expect to make a lot of friends."

For the most part, that's been pretty true throughout my life.
I have found that recently it is mostly the same few assjacks trolling you on your threads or others. Hopefully they stay away from this one!
Honestly, it doesn't matter whether they do or not because I'm not going to give them the attention they're looking for any longer. Like I said, 2018 is a brand new year for me around this place. I am completely tuning out all the negativity. I want this year to be one where I learn about new tools, demo things, discuss how they work and stick to the issues that actually matter. Not whether or not my music and sound libraries suck.

It's going to be a lot more boring around here if people are looking for me to provide them with their entertainment.

Those days are gone.

Vortifex
KVRian
1018 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Re: Top 10 VST Purchases Of 2017

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:47 am

wagtunes wrote:Honestly, it doesn't matter whether they do or not because I'm not going to give them the attention they're looking for any longer. Like I said, 2018 is a brand new year for me around this place. I am completely tuning out all the negativity. I want this year to be one where I learn about new tools, demo things, discuss how they work and stick to the issues that actually matter. Not whether or not my music and sound libraries suck.

It's going to be a lot more boring around here if people are looking for me to provide them with their entertainment.

Those days are gone.
Good to hear, Wagtunes. It's easy to get sucked into negative discourse on the internet. I've been guilty of it myself. There are people online who are what used to be called a "vexation to the spirit". Life's too short to give them the time of day. Easier said than done though, sometimes.

killmaster
KVRian
934 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 am

Replika XT is definately at the very top of this year's acquisitions.

imrae
KVRist
461 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:51 pm

This is tough because 2017 is basically the year I started using commercial plugins. I decided not to count large bundles as single items and slightly biased it towards diversity of developers and plugin types. I'm also omitting a few very exciting plugins bought in the last few weeks; they can be rolled over to next year if they're good enough!
  1. TDR EQ bundle (SlickEQ GE & SlickEQ M) - Go-to shaping EQ for channels and busses.
  2. NI Replika XT - Made most of my other delays redundant. Brilliant UI, hard to make a bad sound, easy to make a great sound.
  3. Kazrog ReCabinet 5 - With the Recab 4 impulse collection, this plays nicely with the excellent free amp head models out there... but I've pretty much replaced LePou with Thermionik stuff now.
  4. Klanghelm DC8C 2 - Has prevented me from buying a lot of other compressors. When I get a craving for a smashy FET thing I just turn up the ratio, saturation, attack, oversampling and boom there's the sound I wanted.
  5. Klanghelm SDRR 2 - The saturation I open when I don't know what I want. (If I do know what I want, it's probably Airwindows.)
  6. NI Reaktor 6 - Blocks and Euro Reakt turn boring plane flights and hotel rooms into West Coast bloopy fun
  7. Waves Doubler - Obtained as part of Gold. This thing may look "dated" but it's a fast and powerful UI for some very useful slapback and thickening effects. It's the ultimate tweakable slapback, and you should use slapback.
  8. Audio Thing Outer Space - Dub heaven and mixes very nicely as a slapback. Delicious feedback sounds. This got a massive update recently which makes ping-pong stuff more viable.
  9. Kuassa Efektor FZ3603 - the only VST fuzz pedal I really get along with.
  10. Sonic Charge Microtonic - I go to Microtonic for the easy pattern sequencing and quick controls for "ballpark" sounds. A very thoughtful set of features and controls mean it's actually pretty useable for "final" sounds too.
Honourable Mentions
  • TDR Kotelnikov GE - Not much left to say about this one. I like it on bass guitar as well as submixes.
  • Klanghelm MJUC - The KVR community weren't wrong to love this thing to bits on release. It doesn't feel as "essential" as some of the plugs I listed, but that's only because I'm not really into buss compression.
  • Kuassa Amplifikation Vermillion - Need a quick, good "combo" amp tone?
  • Kazrog Thermionik - That build-your-own-bundle deal is super. Demo some, I bet you'll find five you want to keep.
  • Audio Thing Hats - I love how unashamedly specific this plugin is. It's the Unix philosophy; do one thing, do it well, play well with others. Hi-hats deserve love too.

Scotty
KVRAF
1677 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:40 pm

I am also making a short list of mentioned plugins here that I haven't tried or don't own. I am enjoying this thread.
Asusp9712Core,RayDats,OASYSPCI,Cubase9,KorgLeg,Avalon737s+2022,UA4710D,6176,DCS,LA610MK2s,Neve, ARC2, Soundtoys,UADOCTO,AdamA7X, SphereMics, BCF+R2000s, DrmBrut,MiniLog,Volcas,MoogSubPhat,EnsqDP4,VirusC,Scope,MinBrut,Plugiator,NIS61 Ultimate,ComposrsCld.

matamoris
KVRist
51 posts since 20 Sep, 2004

Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:46 pm

• Replika XT
  • Repro
  • Ozone 8

EnGee
KVRAF
5026 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:16 pm

matamoris wrote:
  • Replika XT
  • Repro
  • Ozone 8
I forgot to mention Replika XT that upgraded from Replika. I also bought TAL Dub X early last year. I'm looking to use them a lot this year!
Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.
--------------------------------------------------------
Windows 10 & Maschine 2

generaldiomedes
KVRian
502 posts since 15 Apr, 2017 from Canada

Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:11 pm

matamoris wrote:
  • Replika XT
  • Repro
  • Ozone 8
I bought ozone elements and could not run it without cpu issues,so I assumed standard would be just as much of a hog

Saukar30
KVRian
1045 posts since 2 Mar, 2005

Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:31 pm

My 10... in no speciifc order:

1. NI Session Horns Pro
2. Psychomodulation Echomelt
3. IK Amplitube Max
4. NI Replika XT
5. Izotope Alloy 2 ( yeah, its discontinued, but it sounds so good)
6. Air Hybrid 3
7. XLN Addictive Drums Boutique Mallets
8. IK Black 76
9. IK Stealth Limiter
10. Air Transfuser 2

Honorable mention for the entire collection of drums from Samples From Mars. :o Im pretty sure my drums needs are well taken care of now. :party:

c_voltage
KVRian
1233 posts since 16 May, 2004 from Soviet Union

Post Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:12 pm

1 Accsone Crusher-X6
2 Unfiltered Audio SpecOps
3 Soundhack bundle (Spectral Shapers + pvoc kit)
3 UVI Sparkverb
4 SampleSumo SaltyGrain
5 Waldorf Largo
6 Sugar Bytes Aparillo
7 IK MODO Bass
8 Steinberg Groove Agent 4
9 Ohm Force alleffects bundle
10 Virsyn Cube2

But difficult fit in 10 hehe
Btw was surprised during check demo of Ohmforce plugs (especially filter and delay), insane results with almost zero cpu usage. Though once i already tried it a bit in past times, but it seems could not evaluate for some experience reasons. Just some amazing coding level.

killmaster
KVRian
934 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:19 am

Can't believe I forgot to add ArcSyn. Definitely my most used and memorable acquisition!

atya
KVRist
225 posts since 17 Sep, 2014 from LPGC

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:45 am

I wasted some serious money on VSTs and libraries last year but my favorites among them didn't cost that much actually:
Synthmaster One
Air Vacuum Pro
The Mangle
Waves Electric 88
Waves Abbey Road EMI 12345
Waves Scheps 73

soundlabatl
KVRist
49 posts since 5 Sep, 2014 from USA

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:57 am

1. Omnisphere 2
2. BFD3
3. Arturia V
4. Scaler

Other freebies and libraries for VST
i7-4970k|16GB Ram|4-SSD|
MB Pro Retina|Live 9 Suite/Logic Pro X
Push 2|Scarlett 2i4|JBL LSR305| DT-770 Pro 250

cityzenfrog
KVRer
3 posts since 1 Jan, 2018

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Hi there, this is my second post here, and I'm glad to join the community :)

I've been playing music for about 20 years, and started electro music last year. For that reason, I guess I bought way more than 10 plugins, many of them are old stuff that you won't find exciting at all I guess. I haven't had the time to try'em all, so here are in no particular order those I somehow tried and found cool:

- Arturia Spark
- Hybrid 3 (I'm learning to use it thoroughly, it's so powerful and so underated!)
- Cable guys bundle (all of 'em, fun stuff to manipulate sounds!)
- East West Silk
- Stutter Edit
- Sound Toys bundle (all of them)
- SynthMaster One
- Waves Horizon bundle

generaldiomedes
KVRian
502 posts since 15 Apr, 2017 from Canada

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:43 pm

My purchases in terms of actual usage they get.

1 - The Legend - Great sounding and straight forward to tweak, I often use it to prototype something, or get a classic sound. Easy on the CPU.
2 - Sylenth1 - Finally had to get this classic, so many presets, easy to use and low on CPU like The Legend. Fast track to getting a particular sound I want and sits so well in the mix.
3 - Repro 5 - Haven't had as much time to play with it, but the CPU hit means I will probably use it sparingly, but probably the best sounding synth I own
4 - VPS Avenger - Although probably the greatest synth I own, I tend not to use it that much other than for browsing presets and trying drum sequences. Can't put my finger on it - could be the thin filters, the CPU usage, or the cramped UI.
5 - Komplete 11 - Great bang for buck, but most of the synths UIs are just so antiquated I don't use them. Reaktor synths sound great, but often too FM-y sounding or too much physical modelling style resonance for mixes. Kontakt I use a lot, but only as a player really. Probably get the most usage out of the piano libraries and the battery 4 samples.
6 - Thorn - An impulse buy after OSC 105 just haven't had the time to utilize it that much in tracks. Sounds great, awesome UI, but not exactly a bread'n'butter synth.
7 - Hybrid 3 - Only $1 does it even count? I will probably never use this again

This year I think I will get Serum to round out my instrument collection and then concentrate more on FX.
Last edited by generaldiomedes on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”