wagtunes
KVRAF
15553 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:30 pm

thelizard wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:24 pm
wagtunes wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:51 pm
Analog to digital. Who cares. I have no analog hardware that I need to plug into this thing. 8 outputs? Plenty of choices.

Bitshift? There's something in one of the collections with bit manipulation. Don't recall offhand which one.

Delta, from reading the description, is very similar to one of the modules in either the Bernard or Andrew Mac collections.
Analog to Digital takes any signal inside of Voltage Modular and converts it to an 8-bit representation. It's named Analog to Digital as it essentially does what an ADC does (plus, it's based off of the classic Nord Modular's Analog to Digital module, same for DAC...). The primary idea is that you can combine it with the Digital to Analog module to create custom bitwise distortions and processes. In particular, it works very well for reshaping LFOs into more exciting waveforms. It does not connect to analog hardware...

Digital to Analog is the same, as it's based off of the Nord Modular. You can plug any gates or audio that you want into it, and it will generate an "analog" signal. One recipe for this is that you can create a CV signal based on multiple gate streams.

By combining Analog to Digital, Digital to Analog, and Gate Junction, you can emulate the behavior of the XAOC Drezno + Expander Eurorack modules (although those run at a much higher clock speed).

I didn't find an equivalent for Delta or Bitshift anywhere in the store, but let me know if you find them.

One module that I would like to highlight in particular is Scanner (and yes, you'd still need it if you have a hardware scanner :lol: ) Scanner acts as an eight-channel animated mixer. You can use it as a switch, or you can use it as a mega crossfader. It can smoothly morph between eight different inputs, or it can smoothly fade one input across eight outputs.
There is something very similar to Scanner in one of the other collections. There's just too much stuff in there for me to go through it and list it here. I simply don't have that kind of time to waste.

The analog to digital still doesn't interest me. With the super LFO, I can get interesting LFO shapes. Plus, with all the CV manipulators that VM comes with, I can do the same thing. Maybe not as easily, but it can be done.

The thing is, VM already comes with so much (3rd party stuff included) that, with a little bit of effort, I don't see anything as being impossible to do with what you already have. This new collection, IMO (and I stress, IMO) adds nothing so incredibly new that I have to run out and get it.

YMMV.

pekbro
KVRAF
2619 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Re: Cherry Audio Voltage modular

Post Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:35 pm

wagtunes wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:25 pm

I mean how much money are you going to spend on this especially when it's nothing more than a hobby?
Heh, not much really... Though I did just spend $2500 on 5 eurorack modules...

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:51 pm

Here are the modules that I own that either duplicate what this collection can do or does things similar enough in nature that I don't need the modules in this collection.

Bernard - A-B Soft Switch In and Out
Cherry Audio - Analog Shift Register
Bernard - Bernoulli Gate
Cherry Audio - Clock Divider
Andrew MacCauley - Clock Generator
Andrew MacCauley - Clock To CV To Clock
Andrew MacCauley - CV To Gate
Misfit Audio - Euclidean Duel
Andrew MacCauley - Gated Signals
Bernard - LF Noise
Cherry Audio - Micro Burst
Andrew MacCauley - Micro Maths
Andrew MacCauley - Micro Ratcheter
Cherry Audio - One To Eight Switch
Andrew MacCauley - Pattern Ratcheter
Bernard - Quad LFO
Bernard - Random In Switch
Bernard - Random Out Switch
Cherry Audio - Random Task
Bernard - Random Triggers
Bernard - Random Values
Bernard - Random Walks
Bernard - Rotate Inputs
Cherry Audio - Sample And Hold
Bernard - Scale And Offset
Bernard - Scramble Inputs
Bernard - Stochastic Trigger Sequencer
Cherry Audio - Super LFO
Bernard - Switch Drone
Bernard - Tendency Mask
Andrew MacCauley - Voltage Controlled Switch

Notice I haven't listed any of the PSP or Vult modules. Between them and all the above, do I REALLY need anything else? I can't think of anything I can't do with what I already have.

IMO, the PSP, Vult, Bernard and Andrew MacCauley collections are all anybody really needs to do just about anything.

pekbro
KVRAF
2619 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:28 pm

Definitely you can get buy with covering a few select bases. Thats on of the great
things about a modular system.

UnbalancedBeats
KVRist
191 posts since 6 Jun, 2008 from Spain

Post Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:20 am

wagtunes wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:51 pm
Here are the modules that I own that either duplicate what this collection can do or does things similar enough in nature that I don't need the modules in this collection.

Think you forgot to mention the free note panel modules invasion :lol:

WasteLand
KVRist
220 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:00 am

i agree that there is an overlap. and it tends to go the way of vcv rack, also doubles. but cherry audio decided to accept modules, of every developer, and every module, which meet there quality standards. i think it is difficult, to say to developers, no there is an overlap etc.

i bought the sixteen step sequenzer, and later octagon, if i knew octagon was coming, i didn't need the sixteen step sequenzer.

i buy very selective. therefore the overlap isn't that problematic in my situation.

and i have softube modular and reaktor 6, and are using blocks, complemented with great user libraries of block instruments.

the benard bundle i do not have, nor any psp module (o yes, the free one). psp doesn't do it for me, because of the plugin host.

and i am concentrated on making presets/patches using most of the times multiple plugin hosts. it was the reason to buy it.

the new hetrick bundle, i like, but examples would be great, i.e. some preset, or more than some, with comments, to fire your imagination. i used already the digital to analog, but not as an expert yet, i feel the bundle has a great potential. but help pages and examples would be great.
win 7 pro; cubase 10 pro, live 10 suite (+push 2), reaper, arturia V collection 6, reason 10, maschine (mk3+jam), korg collection, komplete 11 ultimate, softube modular, VM and many more..
https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

WasteLand
KVRist

Post Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:11 am

thelizard wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:46 pm
Gone soft wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:25 pm
Don't know what to do with half of it, but at the introprice I'm not even paying for a quarter of the modules and the ones that do make sense to me are so much fun to patch into - purchased! :hyper:
Thanks! I put patch ideas on most of the individual module store pages. Let me know which ones are the most confusing and I could post more ideas.
they are well written, but could be more descriptive, for this kind of modules, i understand the working, but the step to making things with it is more difficult. i must learn them of course, by experimenting.

but a help page, i mentioned in my post before this post, would be helpful, more descriptive, with pictures (aaah, yes... seeing it is understanding it better) and: examples, with comments, i.e. presets. that would firestart the imagination. that's what i think.

i really like the bundle, i feel the great potential, and yes i didn't use it a lot yet, no time, so it is also my own "fault", but more ideas of patching. perhaps as mentioned above; presets. with comments. i am gonna repeat myself, i become a drone, almost....
win 7 pro; cubase 10 pro, live 10 suite (+push 2), reaper, arturia V collection 6, reason 10, maschine (mk3+jam), korg collection, komplete 11 ultimate, softube modular, VM and many more..

thelizard
KVRian
1178 posts since 6 Jul, 2004

Post Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:23 am

Cool, I'll work on presets this weekend. I wasn't aware that I could include some in the bundle.

What's a generally acceptable list of modules to build presets off of? Voltage Core + Misfit Electro + free stuff?

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:40 am

thelizard wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:23 am
Cool, I'll work on presets this weekend. I wasn't aware that I could include some in the bundle.

What's a generally acceptable list of modules to build presets off of? Voltage Core + Misfit Electro + free stuff?
If you want to have the best chance of selling it, core.

My Softube Modular library sells like crazy. My VM library, almost not at all even though it's a better library on a much better system. The reason it doesn't sell is because the library uses almost all the extra modules minus a few. Well, very few people have everything so it excludes them from getting it.

So if you want your library to sell, stick to core. Anything beyond that will begin to exclude people.

WasteLand
KVRist

Post Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:46 am

thelizard wrote:

i don not know the inner working of the presets, but the andrew mac bundle has some presets, not much, can be better. but still they are present and you can experiment with it. i think you must contact cherry audio about it, how the presets can be present.. i am not a developer... i am user.. that develops within an already developed setting, etc. etc. haha. "sounddesign" is my thing (from start to end, even the production of a track has an instrumental approach). "sounddesign" is a term used for many things, let say; i want to built all my patches/presets from scratch.

i think it is wise to build presets of voltage core + misfit electro, and yes the free stuff. you never can predict which modules one has. the voltage core + misfit electro, has everyone, i assume, because, the small version is too... small..

there are presets, from cherry and others, on the forum, you can download, one of them uses 2 modules i do not own, and do not need, because other solution (stereo delay, for example, i use plugin host for it, the psp stompdelay vst).

by the way, didn't you also developed blocks for reaktor? yes, i am right, the euro reakt 4.3. great stuff by the way! i now use reaktor also, why so late, i own it for some time, o well. we are getting sidetracked, o i am!

vurt
addled muppet weed
44290 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:50 am

wagtunes wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:40 am
thelizard wrote:

My Softube Modular library sells like crazy. My VM library, almost not at all even though it's a better library on a much better system. The reason it doesn't sell is because the library uses almost all the extra modules minus a few. Well, very few people have everything so it excludes them from getting it.

So if you want your library to sell, stick to core. Anything beyond that will begin to exclude people.
im assuming he means to show how to use the modules in the bundle?

WasteLand
KVRist

Post Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:57 am

vurt wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:50 am
wagtunes wrote:
thelizard wrote:

yes! that is the goal. to present the modules in the bundle with example presets, to learn from them. it is the way to go. softube modular has the same approach. it if fast learning, from text to patching, is more difficult, ow well not that difficult. the help pages work....

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:04 am

WasteLand wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:57 am
vurt wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:50 am
wagtunes wrote:
thelizard wrote:

yes! that is the goal. to present the modules in the bundle with example presets, to learn from them. it is the way to go. softube modular has the same approach. it if fast learning, from text to patching, is more difficult, ow well not that difficult. the help pages work....
I'd still keep it relatively simple for two reasons.

1. It'll make it easier for users to wrap their heads around.

2. CPU usage. Some of the massive factory patches I can't even play as they totally fry my CPU and I'm on a new machine. 20-30 module patches are going to be tough for a lot of people to utilize.

vurt
addled muppet weed
44290 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:07 am

oh yeah, id say modules from the bundle, plus the modules included in vm.
no additional stuff to download.

just little idea patches to show the basics of a module.
not monster self playing patches where you're not sure what an individual module is doing.

Stefken
KVRian
1061 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:14 am

wagtunes wrote:
The reason it doesn't sell is because the library uses almost all the extra modules minus a few. Well, very few people have everything so it excludes them from getting it.
What would be a nice concept is that you could 'license' a preset pack at Cherry Audio, so that modules that the user did not buy, work on these presets (but only on these presets).
( On installing the preset pack, the necessary modules that the user does not own should also be triggered for download).

Return to “Instruments”