Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

I also a strange issue with VM that I have yet to investigate or reproduce. I went to work the other day,
leaving the stand alone version open (and empty) I'm pretty sure. When I came home, VM had crashed,
running out of memory... :shrug:

WasteLand wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:10 am when i use it in cubase 10.0.20 pro
windows 7 pro 64 bits
i7 6700k @ 4.4 (conservative overclock, c-states off, etc)
32gb
3xssd
nvidia geforce gtx 1060 6gb (only driver, max performance for cubase)
motu ultralite mk3 hybrid
-EDIT- 3 screens, with all different resolutions (for reading small plugins...), main monitor just FHD.

it isn't useable, my normal latency is 256 samples, if you i go to 512, or 1024, opening an effect, dragging a window, or opening the mixer: crackles.

i have also softube modular; i tested it with patches that seems to me as complex as with i test, on 256 samples it plays well. adding an effect, and an instrument, simple testing, no problem. VM will behave strangely when i tweak the effect and/or insrument.

multi-thread option: impossible to use. in cubase.

my own presets aren't that complex, yet.

the problem occurs also in abelton live 10 suite. but less pronounced, i.e. sometimes a crackle. better.

in reaper (latest version); it works, without problems, even my own strange presets, with plugin hosts.

standalone mode, 256 samples, it works as it should.

my question: does anyone has the same problem, it can be, or it is system related.
All I can say is my experience on a windows 10, AMD Ryzen 1700X + RX 580 based system, also with 3 screens w/dif res, having no issues using VM at 48KHz/128 samples buffer both in standalone and with Live 10.
I only wished Reason 10.x (on Windows) was able to recognize VM but that's another issue :oops:

Koshdukai wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:00 pm
WasteLand wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:10 am when i use it in cubase 10.0.20 pro
windows 7 pro 64 bits
i7 6700k @ 4.4 (conservative overclock, c-states off, etc)
32gb
3xssd
nvidia geforce gtx 1060 6gb (only driver, max performance for cubase)
motu ultralite mk3 hybrid
-EDIT- 3 screens, with all different resolutions (for reading small plugins...), main monitor just FHD.

it isn't useable, my normal latency is 256 samples, if you i go to 512, or 1024, opening an effect, dragging a window, or opening the mixer: crackles.

i have also softube modular; i tested it with patches that seems to me as complex as with i test, on 256 samples it plays well. adding an effect, and an instrument, simple testing, no problem. VM will behave strangely when i tweak the effect and/or insrument.

multi-thread option: impossible to use. in cubase.

my own presets aren't that complex, yet.

the problem occurs also in abelton live 10 suite. but less pronounced, i.e. sometimes a crackle. better.

in reaper (latest version); it works, without problems, even my own strange presets, with plugin hosts.

standalone mode, 256 samples, it works as it should.

my question: does anyone has the same problem, it can be, or it is system related.
All I can say is my experience on a windows 10, AMD Ryzen 1700X + RX 580 based system, also with 3 screens w/dif res, having no issues using VM at 48KHz/128 samples buffer both in standalone and with Live 10.
I only wished Reason 10.x (on Windows) was able to recognize VM but that's another issue :oops:
thank you for your reply, besides the processor, the graphics card is different, and the windows version... but it shows that it can be done... i didn't mentioned on what settings the audio are; 48KHz/24 bit, 256 samples, and there are times i use 128 samples, which works also, but, some plugins need more.. but it can run without problems..

about reason, the newest reason update, 10.4, did not do the trick. a fast update after 10.3...

pekbro wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:02 pm I also a strange issue with VM that I have yet to investigate or reproduce. I went to work the other day,
leaving the stand alone version open (and empty) I'm pretty sure. When I came home, VM had crashed,
running out of memory... :shrug:
Was it possible that you were hosting a 3rd party plug-in? Voltage Modular has been tested extensively for memory leaks and is very efficient on memory usage. But 3rd party plug-ins could suffer from memory leaks..

- Dan @ Cherry Audio

i thought Java didn't have those?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

cherryDan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:21 pm

Was it possible that you were hosting a 3rd party plug-in? Voltage Modular has been tested extensively for memory leaks and is very efficient on memory usage. But 3rd party plug-ins could suffer from memory leaks..

- Dan @ Cherry Audio
It was empty, definitely. I will see if I can reproduce it, certainly though, it could have been something
else on my system.

pekbro wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:54 pm
cherryDan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:21 pm

- Dan @ Cherry Audio
It was empty, definitely. I will see if I can reproduce it, certainly though, it could have been something
else on my system.
Out of curiosity, I tried this last night, leaving VM Standalone running with an empty rack (even emptied it, exit, re-run to start empty) for 3~4 hours and didn't notice any issue while doing other stuff on the other screens on Windows 10 w/16Gb RAM

Just wanted to give some feedback as I have been testing VM the past week.
Downloading is very slow. The initial download was sub-100kb/s on several days this week. And took over 20 min. Also the modules seemed to download with the same speed which took not so long but still a bit annoying and not understandable in 2019.
I wish VM would have more outputs. I like to use it as drum synth and all other drum synths I use have at least 8 outputs, which does not seem hard to do in a VST.
The output part is actually a deal breaker for me, as I'd like to be able to control the single outputs through a channel fader in my DAW.

dermage wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:04 am ..........................................
I wish VM would have more outputs. I like to use it as drum synth and all other drum synths I use have at least 8 outputs, which does not seem hard to do in a VST.
The output part is actually a deal breaker for me, as I'd like to be able to control the single outputs through a channel fader in my DAW.
Totally agree. I really like VM, it seems to be really well designed. The limit of 6 audio outputs means I have 16 instances of VM loaded in a default project in Reaper, ready for when I want to use VM for drums, as I also like to be able to control the single outputs through a channel fader in my DAW. The limit of 6 audio outputs does seem very strange for a plugin like this. It would be great if Cherry Audio could include versions with 8, 16 and 32 outputs. More audio inputs would also be very welcome. All of this would really open up VM's possibilities.
Windows 10. Asus X99-Pro i7 6950X 10 Core 3GHz (Overclocked to 3.5GHz). Corsair DDR4 64GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz. RME RayDAT. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. UAD2 Quad+Octo. Reaper. A couple of plugins.

hesnotthemessiah wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:33 pm It would be great if Cherry Audio could include versions with 8, 16 and 32 outputs. More audio inputs would also be very welcome. All of this would really open up VM's possibilities.
+1

Yes, I would like more outputs.
I also like to control each drum individually in the Reaper mixer.

I'm noticing DPC spikes whenever a preset is loaded/changed. There will be a spike at teh start of the change, then a slight pause, then another spike when it finishes. This happens even when the playback is stopped.

Nothing else comes close to spiking my system, and VM is absolutely fine otherwise - just when loading/changing presets.

future-bit wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:53 am
hesnotthemessiah wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:33 pm It would be great if Cherry Audio could include versions with 8, 16 and 32 outputs. More audio inputs would also be very welcome. All of this would really open up VM's possibilities.
+1

Yes, I would like more outputs.
I also like to control each drum individually in the Reaper mixer.
+1

There is PDF guide for VM in the site now.
https://docs.cherryaudio.com

It's a good news!

KVR Friends,

We've got some exciting new modules hitting the store today, as well as a new update to Voltage Modular with some really nice new features, so let's get right to it!

ESP-20 Processor

The ESP-20 Processor ($10), now part of our MS Vintage Bundle ($30), recreates the slightly bizarre and endlessly useful External Signal Processor section of the classic MS-20 synthesizer. This includes a low cut filter, a high cut filter, gate and trigger outputs with a threshold setting, and an envelope follower. But the star of the show is the Frequency to Voltage converter, which analyzes incoming audio and generates matching voltages for controlling oscillator pitch and envelope amplitude. This lets you "play" Voltage Modular by singing, playing guitar, or any other monophonic signal source. ESP-20's frequency converter has a much wider range than the original for increased functionality, while still retaining the quirkiness of the original. Best of all, existing owners of the MS Vintage Bundle will find this new module is already in their library! This video shows some of the bizarre and inspiring ways the ESP-20 can be used:

https://youtu.be/BAV758rCDXk

Hex Phaser

The Hex Phaser ($15) just might be the most powerful, most flexible stereo phaser every created for a modular synthesizer. Everything on it is adjustable, including both the number of active stages and the stage at which feedback is introduced. Rate, depth, bandwidth, and feedback amount are fully modulatable. The unique Stereo Offset control changes the phase relationship between the LFO for the left channel and the LFO for the right channel, and modulating this control can lead to phaser heaven. An external LFO or other voltage source can even be used in place of Hex Phaser's built-in LFO! In short, there are a massive number of different tone colors available with this phaser. Check out this video for an introduction to Hex Phaser's intense capabilities:

https://youtu.be/c4I7LUy1_S0

Voltage Modular 1.3.14

You've asked us for some important features, and we've listened. The new Voltage Modular 1.3.14 update includes some really useful features:

[*]The Plug-in Host and Mini Plug-in Host modules can now load plug-in files with multiple embedded plug-in files. When choosing a plug-in with multiple choices, you'll see a dialog like this one, and you'll be able to choose which embedded plug-in you'd like to load:

[*]Voltage Modular's current Zoom setting will be remembered from session to session.

Module Designer 1.3.14

Module Designer has also been updated with some nice features, including a new preference for turning off tooltips in the module/library tree views, and the ability to set polyphony in the test app. Plus we added the ability to properly compile source code with Unicode characters embedded in it, and we fixed an issue where templatized class names or classes that derived from or implemented templatized interfaces (i.e. ClassName<type>) weren't showing up properly in the 'module' tree view.

As always, Voltage Modular will download the update automatically, but you can click "Check For Update" in the Account page of Voltage Modular's setting dialog, or you can visit https://store.cherryaudio.com/my/library, to download the update immediately!

Finally, there are quite a lot of exciting new 3rd party modules due out in the couple of weeks, from both existing and new developers, and we'll let you know when they hit the Module Store!

Hex Phaser is niiiiiiice.

Awesome to see the rapid development rate for this software. Fantastic stuff.

Return to “Instruments”