Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

I agree that add-on modules shouldn't duplicate the core stuff; that's not what I was saying. I meant that IMHO add-ons shouldn't duplicate stuff that's easily doable via VST plugins either - or, at least, if they do, they should offer more CV controls and other stuff that's unique to a modular environment. I'm sure the PSP stuff is high-quality and nice-sounding as it is, I just feel like I'd rather have more things that I can only do inside Voltage.
Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

I agree with you that the PSP modules could have more parameters CV controlled. They are lacking in that area. I like the ability to have these better sounding effects available as outputs to other modules - they sound better than the Core modules (the effects). If PSP put CV inputs with bipolar trims on them it would move the products to the next level.

Niowiad wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:55 pm the MRB pretty much gives you supposedly "higher quality" versions of the fundamental modules (vco, vca, vcf, adsr), plus the distortion module and a frequency shifter

the PSP bundle gives a you a bunch of sound processors (eq, comp) and effects (delay, plate/hall/spring reverb, flanger, phaser, chorus, formant filter, comb filter, pitch shifter, bitcrusher)
it sure gives you more variety coming from Core
Hi everyone. First post here. Being new to it all, you didn't mention the Laboratory Voice modules. I use the module presets (different from patch preset) to store whole sounds since you can make a whole sound with those without knowing a ton about what to plug into what.

synthknitter wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:52 am
Niowiad wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:55 pm the MRB pretty much gives you supposedly "higher quality" versions of the fundamental modules (vco, vca, vcf, adsr), plus the distortion module and a frequency shifter

the PSP bundle gives a you a bunch of sound processors (eq, comp) and effects (delay, plate/hall/spring reverb, flanger, phaser, chorus, formant filter, comb filter, pitch shifter, bitcrusher)
it sure gives you more variety coming from Core
Hi everyone. First post here. Being new to it all, you didn't mention the Laboratory Voice modules. I use the module presets (different from patch preset) to store whole sounds since you can make a whole sound with those without knowing a ton about what to plug into what.
I was just going through new new free MRB preset pack and many of them use the voice modules - some very nice sounds and demonstrations of how useful they are. so yes those are useful too. All this talk about which bundles, is why I ended up with 9 of them this sale! Once I tried the demos I could see how unique and useful they all are together. It's might become challenging for devs to keep making unique modules but so far the ones on offer really make for a very powerful system. It does take time to learn what each modules does however and to remember. The library helps. I'd like to see a in each library listing beside "Add" that opens a pop up with the module desription - right now you have to right-click, select info, read and close. a pop up would make it a lot faster to learn and use the modules without much visual over-head. :phones:

You can get the PSP Ultimate at everyplugin for $70! http://everyplugin.com/psp-modular-coll ... dular.html

Sold!

I was thinking about the PSPs and thinking it would be nice to have even modules that might be covered by VSTs internal so that the work flow would not be broken up so much. I am not so into this yet that I have go to VSTs that I can pull up on a whim. In my mind it would easier to search for a reverb within Voltage rather than add a host and then go searching for an external VST to do the job.

So do the third-party modules have unique algorithms? Or are they standard building blocks available to anyone? I was looking at some of the demo videos of the builder and I couldn’t find it.

masterhiggins wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:41 pm So do the third-party modules have unique algorithms? Or are they standard building blocks available to anyone? I was looking at some of the demo videos of the builder and I couldn’t find it.
Everything's done in Java, except for the interface builder. There are a few pre-made Java blocks that you can use (i.e. sine, noise, etc.), but anything more complicated than that will require additional development.

thelizard wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:18 pm
masterhiggins wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:41 pm So do the third-party modules have unique algorithms? Or are they standard building blocks available to anyone? I was looking at some of the demo videos of the builder and I couldn’t find it.
Everything's done in Java, except for the interface builder. There are a few pre-made Java blocks that you can use (i.e. sine, noise, etc.), but anything more complicated than that will require additional development.
Oh okay. I was just wondering. In the event that advanced users wanted to start modifying circuit-component values. I didn’t know how deep it went.

New developer here, I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of looking at the raw Library code for the various provided libraries with Designer. I can't figure out where they are located.

For example, at the top of the Filter Example Code, there is a line that says "package com.cherryaudio.filter"

I assume this is importing the library for use, but I can't figure out where on my computer this is located so I can read the raw code for the filter library.

Also, is it possible to revise existing modules using the Designer? For instance to add more CV control to various PSP units?

I can't figure out for the life of me how this Java works and how the Designer actually is compiling stuff.

I am curious about looking at the raw DSP code in some of the modules this is giving me a headache though to locate all those class files. The documentation doesn't say anything about them beyond providing a little API information in a popup. I want to actually look at the code, is that possible? It should be on my computer somewhere, as it says "import voltage.filter" or whatever at the top, so it's clearly importing them from my hard drive. I am new using Java so I don't really understand how this Designer is actually working either with regard to how it compiles and uses directories.

I don't really get how this works. For instance, is the "SaturatedAnalogFilter" Java code file available to read so I can take a closer look at the class functions and how they work?

mxbf wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:21 pm I am curious about looking at the raw DSP code in some of the modules this is giving me a headache though to locate all those class files. The documentation doesn't say anything about them beyond providing a little API information in a popup. I want to actually look at the code, is that possible? It should be on my computer somewhere, as it says "import voltage.filter" or whatever at the top, so it's clearly importing them from my hard drive. I am new using Java so I don't really understand how this Designer is actually working either with regard to how it compiles and uses directories.
You can't see the source code of the libraries/packages or any CA or 3rd-party modules (except the example modules that come with MD), because they only exist on your computer as compiled Java bytecode, not as source .java files. I suggest reading a little about Java and how the JVM + bytecode works, I'm sure Module Designer will also become easier to understand after that!
Last edited by Captain on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelizard wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:18 pm Everything's done in Java, except for the interface builder. There are a few pre-made Java blocks that you can use (i.e. sine, noise, etc.), but anything more complicated than that will require additional development.
The GUI elements are also automatically turned into Java code, and you can create GUI elements by writing code too, if you wish.

There's actually a pretty good selection of basic tools provided by Cherry Audio that you can use as building blocks in your own modules (filters, oscillators, envelope, LFO, distortion, delay, reverb, etc). Some of them are quite.... basic (I'm looking at you, reverb), but many of them are perfectly usable, depending on what you are trying to do.

mxbf wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:50 pm For example, at the top of the Filter Example Code, there is a line that says "package com.cherryaudio.filter"

I assume this is importing the library for use, but I can't figure out where on my computer this is located so I can read the raw code for the filter library.
Actually, the "package" line sets the package name for the current module, it does not import anything. The name could be just about anything, but there are certain conventions you are supposed to follow when naming your Java packages. The actual imports are just below it.

Return to “Instruments”