Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

and developers can release only 2 free modules!

from the Designer FAQ: https://cherryaudio.com/voltage-module-designer/faq
Can my modules be free?

Yes, but we currently have a limit on the number of free modules an individual manufacturer can offer in our Store. That limit is currently 2 free modules.

not only, but there is even a minimum price for paid modules
If I sell my modules, is there is a minimum price I can charge?

Yes. Modules can be sold for any price at or over US$10.

this is a commercial suicide. no wonder why nobody want to buy my license of VM on the sell & buy forum :?

Seems like Softube Modular all over again...

Im going to bow out and stay with what Ive purchased so far and maybe just get stuff thats reeeaaaaaally interesting, if there is any.

A loyalty scheme is whats called for
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I really like Vm for sequencing external multitimbral synth like rapid for example.
The turing machine module, some lfo, gates, logic... and the midi out and allworks really great .
Best
YY

Stefken wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:17 pm Seems like Softube Modular all over again...
Difference being that Voltage Modular's GUI/UX is much better, IMHO, but... until I can get rid of my Softube's Modular, I won't be able to even consider VM and... only if there's ever a sale at $75 tops :)

koshdukai wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:31 pm
Stefken wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:17 pm Seems like Softube Modular all over again...
Difference being that Voltage Modular's GUI/UX is much better, IMHO, but... until I can get rid of my Softube's Modular, I won't be able to even consider VM and... only if there's ever a sale at $75 tops :)
Check the Sell and Buy forum ;)

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:41 pm
Agree - I just picked mine up there for $85 including the PSP collection. For that price, I think it is a good value.

bharris22 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:07 pm
VariKusBrainZ wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:41 pm
Agree - I just picked mine up there for $85 including the PSP collection. For that price, I think it is a good value.
Bonkers price :D

It is difficult. With high TCO prices they discourage people to buy into the platform in the first place. With low prices more people might buy the base platform - and the modules. As the platform is really great in many aspects my hope would be that with low prices everybody and their cat that is interested at all would jump on it.
But what if not? With the current high prices they might be able to survive with relatively low sales. With low prices and low sales the concept doesn't work out and I would feel bad for having suggested it.

Imho they should at least introduce a cheaper level for bread-n-butter stuff and get rid of the only-two-free-plugins-per-dev restriction to counter that "rip-off" feeling when browsing through their shop. Seeing 10$+ prices for a gain or crossfade module and potential remixes of stuff people have already payed for (I look at you, 16 slot sequencer) imho just triggers bad base-mood that easily falls back on the entire platform - including modules with advanced, unique DSP and months of work - that would definitely be worth the asking price.

Really, they should make everything that will encourage people to join their community free. The module designer, and provide/allow for free modules with no limitation.

To make revenue, the focus could be on making/selling more of their own modules that are advanced and charge more there. Also making preset/patch extensions for sale. That model seems to work well for other synth developers, and would inspire more beginners to dive in.

Also, if they make a percentage of every sale they should doing things like that to drive people to the community and make modules.

Completely agree with you republik and Nothan.
I don't understand why the module designer is not free, voltage should choose between module designer payware and take a % of third part developers modules.
I hope, that decision won't go to kill Voltage, because it's really the best modular software.
A lot of "little " utility modules will never been release or buy with this price policy.
I don't have any problem paying 12 euros for the new cherry ms20 filter or a Vult modules because the quality is here, but I will never buy their 16 steps seq if I can make it with a simple flip flop technique.
Best
YY

I think this has been mentioned before but another thing that makes VM pretty awesome is using it as a midi processor to send to external plugins or hardware. Nothing you can't do with Reaktor or Maxforlive but it's nice to see this capability in the plugin. It's not hard to make a playable midi chord sequencer or polyphonic arpeggiator.

So far I´ve managed to get some really good sounds out of the Voltage Modular. I think the GUI is very clear and concise and the sound imo is awsome. I´ve added the Complete PSP pack and these modules expand the sound capabilities a lot. The VCF20 filter has character and the Additive Oscillator is very flexible and lets you do things you wouldn´t think of in "a normal setting". I´ll probably wait with the purchase of the Vult modules, but not for too long.

The sound I´m getting out of VM adds a nice new colour to my existing sound palette. Noone needs "another virtual modular" but I think they´ve nailed it in terms of the user experience. And they are a small company. They really got a good starter package for those who have not bought Softube or use VCV. It is a solid alternative and they put thought into it how to circumvent the physical limitations.

I use it more practically and the sounds integrate more than they dominate my music, but for me that´s
a big plus. It is not hardware look-a-like hipster stuff and maybe that´s why it doesn´t get the recognition it deserves imho.

I trust in their model as a whole but I think some packages with a discount might be good for the companies that create the modules and it would be a good idea to make the development platform for free use.

Otherwise I really can´t complain. It brings a lot of joy to develop own sounds on this platform and not so many people are using it (yet). And with the additional toys you get from their store you really can create big sounds.

I have been coding my first own module(s) with the Module Designer recently (nothing earth-shattering, but some simple & potentially useful utils), and I really love the whole thing. If you have an idea for a module, it’s super quick and easy to fire up the MD, write some code, and test it in action. I feel this is what separates VM from other software modulars.

(Of course, learning the basics and coding the basic functionality of a module is often the quickest part, and what takes the most time is polishing (especially the GUI), optimizing and debugging... hard facts of software design, I guess. :lol: )

Cubehog wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:16 am So far I´ve managed to get some really good sounds out of the Voltage Modular. I think the GUI is very clear and concise and the sound imo is awsome. I´ve added the Complete PSP pack and these modules expand the sound capabilities a lot. The VCF20 filter has character and the Additive Oscillator is very flexible and lets you do things you wouldn´t think of in "a normal setting". I´ll probably wait with the purchase of the Vult modules, but not for too long.
ok, but you spent 299$ !!

Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums 150$
PSP Ultimate Modular Collection 99$
Additive Oscillator 35$
VCF-20 Filter 15$

well, reaktor is 199$ and softube modular is 89$.
i don't own softube modular, but i own reaktor and it's vastly more powerful than VM. plus, there is a huge amount of free blocks.
Cubehog wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:16 am It is not hardware look-a-like hipster stuff and maybe that´s why it doesn´t get the recognition it deserves imho.
i think that VM is DEFINITELY hardware "look-a-like" ! the whole point of VM is the interface. otherwise reaktor block sounds much better! (and probably softube modular too)

Return to “Instruments”