Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
6319 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:50 am

Yeh, It would be nice to see more high quality stuff like this-
https://library.vcvrack.com/?query=&bra ... =&license=
PC, BWS, Live and Studio One, Renoise, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths + Eurorack, MPC Live, A4 and RYTM, PT, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses

KVRAF
5093 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:20 am

I like those Instruo modules, but find them a bit non intuitive to use and end up RTFM a lot.

KVRAF
6319 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:47 am

WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:20 am
I like those Instruo modules, but find them a bit non intuitive to use and end up RTFM a lot.
Yeh, I don't have any of their hardware in my Eurorack, but I love the opportunity to try it in the virtual world before dropping money for hardware (I was able to try MI marbles that way as well, but I did then buy that one!)
PC, BWS, Live and Studio One, Renoise, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths + Eurorack, MPC Live, A4 and RYTM, PT, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses

KVRist
127 posts since 5 Mar, 2006 from Ryû-Kyû

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:54 pm

dstep404 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:37 am
Something has to be done about the way the shop is set up, or something has to be done about the crap that NrGZR78 continues to spam it with. It’s out of hand and devalues the entire product.
For sure, something has to be done.
The first that can be done is to express it on their forum, so they won't miss how many we are thinking this has to change :
https://forums.cherryaudio.com/viewtop ... f=8&t=1452

KVRAF
5449 posts since 19 Jun, 2008 from Seattle

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:27 pm

Niowiad wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:24 am
Not sure about the not sounding "smooth" issue, as S&H just sounds "stepped" in its basic form, unless some form of smoothing/gliding is internally or externally provided.

I'd just put a Glide module between the S&H output and the filter's freq.mod input
https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/glide

If the goal is trying to imitate random voltage variations of analog gear, the filter's freq-mod amount knob is barely moved past zero, therefore some kind of attenuator module after the glide could be more precise for dialling-in the right amount.

I think the old S&H module from Cherry necessarily required an external noise source (or any other shape), but the updated module currently includes some internal noise source to pick up the samples from, although it still provides the ability to plug in an external signal.
This one I mean: https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/sample-and-hold
In addition to what has been suggested/discovered, and specifically regarding the 'bolded' portion above, I have found this to be a really handy package. [ymmv]

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/the-drift-pack

(I've no connection with any of the devs there)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

KVRist

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:33 pm

+1 for the drift pack ! From the same developer, the probability router is very handy as well.

KVRer
13 posts since 4 Dec, 2016 from Belfast, UK

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:40 pm

+1 make proper store filters Cherry Audio, as it has become a time wasting joke and many of us are not too young to care about the waste of time.
Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio Build 412 (32/64bit)
Win 8.1 64 bit, 2x Quad core Xeon 2.50Ghz, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (1st Gen, USB2)
Arturia Keystep, BeatstepPro.
Launchcontrol XL
Korg Microstation, Microkorg, MicrokorgXL

KVRian
1459 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:09 pm

the discussion is now also present in the voltage modular user group on facebook. this flooding of the store, we users must given the option not to see products of one developer, or more.., it is indeed a waste of time. i was more reasonable in the facebook discussion, but this is KVR...

there must be users of nzgr or how do you write it. i am not one them. i wait for real additions. but i already own 400+ modules, so i can do what i want.

but there is more 'excitement', also about quality control of cherry audio themselves.

i use voltage modular a lot, really a lot. so, it is a product/instrument i really like. but when you are critical cherry audio does hide themselves (no good grammar...).
take me as apple as reed-son as flesh-icon, immediately
shits the wise man. hero and blind. take me as
stick as tongue as dog... https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

KVRian

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:26 pm

but also positive news!

a collabaration made possible by MLC vanAmsterdam, dreamscape part 1, has reached the newsletter of cherry audio.

fully made with VM, in the sense all sounds made with VM, no other instruments.

https://soundcloud.com/dreamscape_vmmp/ ... -chapter-1
dreamscape 01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRist

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:33 pm

Congrats !! :party:

KVRAF
2172 posts since 23 May, 2005 from North Cornwall

Post Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:33 pm

I think that the proposed solution, a filter, is a reasonable one.

CA probably didn't foresee the situation that one developer might flood the store, and whilst I realise that as a general principle, giving the customer the ability to hide products will likely lead to lost sales, in this case my suspicion is that these products generate little revenue. Obscuring other products from view may, in fact, lead to lost revenue.

KVRian
612 posts since 29 Nov, 2002 from Finland

Post Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:23 am

Shabdahbriah wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:27 pm
Niowiad wrote:
If the goal is trying to imitate random voltage variations of analog gear, ...
In addition to what has been suggested/discovered, and specifically regarding the 'bolded' portion above, I have found this to be a really handy package. [ymmv]

Thanks for the mention! :) If you want to mimic analog-style slow-ish random fluctuations in filter cutoff (or any other modulatable parameter), you can just add an instance of the Control Drift module, connect it to the filter freq mod jack, adjust the knobs to taste, and that's basically it, no other modules or processing needed. You can also set the drift signal range between any two voltage values, so it's easy to get very subtle modulation if you wish (double-click the knobs to type in small values).

KVRist
452 posts since 13 May, 2015

Post Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:26 am

I used to be annoyed by the lack of modules in Softube Modular but I think quality trumps quantity in a virtual modular rig.

KVRAF
5093 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:15 am

It’s one reason I have so many unfinished VCV Rack patches, with 2,400 modules I’m forever auditioning different modules and yet I’m still to find an oscillator and filter combo I like as much as in VM, admittedly mainly via the commercial modules.

KVRian

Post Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:56 am

Captain wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:23 am
Shabdahbriah wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:27 pm
Niowiad wrote:
If the goal is trying to imitate random voltage variations of analog gear, ...

Thanks for the mention! :) If you want to mimic analog-style slow-ish random fluctuations in filter cutoff (or any other modulatable parameter), you can just add an instance of the Control Drift module, connect it to the filter freq mod jack, adjust the knobs to taste, and that's basically it, no other modules or processing needed. You can also set the drift signal range between any two voltage values, so it's easy to get very subtle modulation if you wish (double-click the knobs to type in small values).
like your modules, they are an example of really usuable modules.
and the mod delay!!! i finally used in a patch. i wanted to use it to complex, work first simple, and already it works, 3 mod delays, with one feedback loop. i think it is a part of contribution of dreamscape.
sometimes it takes to time to fully put something in your worflow, other things faster. no logic. in my case..
SHall1000 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:26 am
I used to be annoyed by the lack of modules in Softube Modular but I think quality trumps quantity in a virtual modular rig.
i was never annoyed by the lack of modules, because of the results i got. and the quality is unsurpassed, that is why you don't need a lot modules. i have also parallels and model 72, they are real addition. i bought them for softube modular.
i work quite differently in softube modular.

the quality of VM isn't bad, not bad at all, a different character (and yes 48.000Hz, i don't know what the oversampling rate of softube is... or better internal rate, 96.000Hz for sure, because if you set reaktor to it, they become on par).
and i can get still great sounds from it, from VM, very great sounds.

as from reaktor, that at 48.000Hz has a more modular strength.

perhaps quality isn't the best word. character. even if make now more experimental patches, o well they were always experimental, o not always, sometimes; make your own synth... o well some many patch and different patches. the sound quality is simply great. i get what i want.

but there is a difference in sound, for sure. but compensated by great modules, like mod delay!!!, or weevil, or MRB, or vult, cherry audio stuff, etc. etc. i forget a lot of developers right now, o yes andrew macaulay, m*4, etc. etc.
WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:15 am
It’s one reason I have so many unfinished VCV Rack patches, with 2,400 modules I’m forever auditioning different modules and yet I’m still to find an oscillator and filter combo I like as much as in VM, admittedly mainly via the commercial modules.
i bought a vult bundle, the major one, i think, a hora bundle (with detour.. great..), 2 VCV modules, that is it.
i don't have all modules, gladly...
but VCV rack and me.... i don't know what it is, it is not a lack of knowledge.

but since detour and the free frequency domain modules (experimental!), i use it more.

i can't put my finger on it why i don't use it that much.

i choose VM, softube modular or reaktor.

version 1 of VCV rack was a step forward, also for working with it. so i use it, but occasionaly. i see the potential, i know what i can achieve, still.. as i said, i don't get it, why i don't use it more often. perhaps one day, or when version 2 arrrives..

it can also be the modules themselves, VCV rack i like the more experimental stuff, and there is so much overlap. i am not that in to generative stuff, although i use it sometimes. more and more even... but controlled. or that i can find in the, even if i only choose some developers, still a lot, it is difficult to concentrate.

but the frequency domain modules, and hora detour, of course the vult modules, but i have also the 2 vult bundles for VM, so i use vult in VM, although (not yet) polyphonic.

VM has something that i like. and yes softube modular, especially drones, with 6 modules, you can achieve so much. o well in VM you can do the same. and VM + MPE is great. softube modular + MPE, i work with, not so many MPE patches yet.

VCV rack can also do MPE.

and reaktor..

you say, i did first read it wrong, i think, you can't get a oscillator filter combo in VM that is to your liking? o no the other way around, i read it right (i think...). yes that is also one thing, you make my problem with VCV rack more accessible, haha, the combo's i can make in VM, also with pitch/frequency shifters. the great filters of MRB, there are enough oscilllators to choose from, several developers.

and the superoscillator and superlfo, of course it can be done in VCV rack, but they work so damn nice.

Return to “Instruments”