Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
a.cla.dio
KVRist
178 posts since 9 Jun, 2005 from Turin, Italy

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:55 am

cherryDan wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:10 pm
Starting next week, you'll be able to own a free Personal License for the Voltage Modular Designer, which will let you create and publish your own modules to your account. You can create all the modules you want, and use them in Voltage Modular all you'd like. (A commercial license will still be for sale for those that wish to sell modules.)
this is really interesting!

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
8701 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Re: Cherry Audio Voltage modular

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:34 am

lnikj wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:32 pm
VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:07 pm
lnikj wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:43 pm
Whywhy wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:16 pm
I understand, with vcv , a lot of modules are free, but the vst host is not free, same for the futur version 1
Version 1 will be free as will all future versions. Only a future VST version will cost money.
Will modules need to be specially compiled for the VST version or will the same module version work in both standalone and VST versions?
I have no idea. Andrew has stated that everything that works in standalone will work in the VST. Does it matter if that means a module has to be compiled twice for the two versions? You would be better asking in the FB group.
I was more thinking along the lines will the current free and 'cheap' modules become expensive payware if you want to use them in the VST version. I don't do FB thanks.

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:35 am

@CherryDan

This is all excellent :tu:

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:43 am

If I sell my modules, is there is a minimum price I can charge?

Yes. Modules can be sold for any price at or over US$10.

Modules ; plural

Perhaps $10 is the minimum price but there is no restriction on how many can be bundled together for $10 ??

lnikj
KVRAF
1843 posts since 23 May, 2005 from the North Cornwall coast

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:58 am

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:34 am
lnikj wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:32 pm
VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:07 pm
lnikj wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:43 pm
Whywhy wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:16 pm
I understand, with vcv , a lot of modules are free, but the vst host is not free, same for the futur version 1
Version 1 will be free as will all future versions. Only a future VST version will cost money.
Will modules need to be specially compiled for the VST version or will the same module version work in both standalone and VST versions?
I have no idea. Andrew has stated that everything that works in standalone will work in the VST. Does it matter if that means a module has to be compiled twice for the two versions? You would be better asking in the FB group.
I was more thinking along the lines will the current free and 'cheap' modules become expensive payware if you want to use them in the VST version. I don't do FB thanks.
I'll PM you to avoid hijacking the thread any further - I only started because WhyWhy had reported incorrect information.

fmr
KVRAF
8080 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:14 am

cherryDan wrote:
We're working hard to add more modules and more features, and we keep and eye on this forum, so please let us know what you'd like to see. We're happy to answer all of your questions.

All the best,
Dan & the Cherry Audio team
The addition of the "Super Modules" to the Core was a big step in the right direction, that I agree. It still lacks a "Super Filter" though (something in the vein of the Matrix-12 filter, with all its 15 modes, would be a good "Super Filter"). But had I know those would be included, I would have bought Core System at the special launching price. :shrug:

Sure, you can then provide some specialized filters, like the MS-20 emulation you did, but as options, whose addition would be a choice of the user.

Regarding new modules, I would love to see anything/everything (and I mean ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, even those no longer available, like Braids, and Clouds) from Mutable Instruments: https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/

Those are, IMO, some of the most inspiring modules available (some no longer available, as I wrote). Having those as options, and polyphonic, and a Super Filter to complement the Core System, would be a strong argument to convince me to jump on your wagon. My 2 cents.
Last edited by fmr on Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

lalo
KVRian
1435 posts since 14 Oct, 2002

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:36 am

a.cla.dio wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:55 am
cherryDan wrote:
Starting next week, you'll be able to own a free Personal License for the Voltage Modular Designer, which will let you create and publish your own modules to your account. You can create all the modules you want, and use them in Voltage Modular all you'd like. (A commercial license will still be for sale for those that wish to sell modules.)
this is really interesting!
Smart move Cherry Audio!! thanks!!

rockhopper
KVRist
155 posts since 31 Oct, 2015

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:23 am

Dan & the Cherry Audio team,

Thank you for listening, particularly to the "use of the free Personal License for the Voltage Modular Designer" to "publish your own modules to your account". I believe the lack of communication from you in the past has also made some people nervous. I hope that moving forward, this type of communication and your work with the community will make you more successful.

NothanUmber
KVRist
301 posts since 1 Jul, 2004

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:26 am

Great, VM is finally shaping up to become awesome!
Having poly support around the corner and the personal Module Designer license are great new developments!
Was hoping that either Voltage Modular or VCV would see the benefit of poly cables. Now it looks as if we'll get them in both!

With the personal license the doors would be open for open source modules in VM also now. Sources for modules could just be shared on github and interested people can download, compile and use them as personal modules.
As CA is fully betting on income from modules now (essentially like VCV, just with the rack being freeware instead of open source), buying good commercial modules is a good/necessary opportunity to say "thank you" and keep the doors on CA side open (will certainly do this as soon as some of the commercial ones are adapted to poly). If open source VM modules should become a thing it would imho also be ok if CA would offer kind of a "compilation service": CA could offer these modules for $3 (their share of a usual $10 module) for convenience - one would always have the newest version pre-compiled, directly delivered to VM as it becomes available. If they link the source repo in the sales page of the module then all requirements of e.g. GPL would be met. They can sell it as long as people can get hold of the sources and are able to compile it themselves if they prefer.
Edit: One should probably better use LGPL (or even Apache or MIT licenses) in the case one wants to give CA the right to offer a compilation+"quality control" service for money - so there are no doubts that they would be obligated to release VM then by "GPL infection".
Last edited by NothanUmber on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

bmanic
KVRAF
8108 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:28 am

Hmm.. just tried the demo and I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed by the sound quality. Simple patches with complex FM + hard sync modulation is nowhere near as organic sounding as for instance in Reaktor 6.. and not even in the same universe as U-He Bazille/Ace. Granted, both of these systems consumed a lot more CPU. Even at 96kHz this thing sounds very unorganic to my ears.

I only tested a few of the basic oscillators and various filter modules but those did not convince me at all. This is of course very subjective but there's just something about the overall sound that feels off to me. :shrug:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

wagtunes
KVRAF
13999 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:33 am

bmanic wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:28 am
Hmm.. just tried the demo and I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed by the sound quality. Simple patches with complex FM + hard sync modulation is nowhere near as organic sounding as for instance in Reaktor 6.. and not even in the same universe as U-He Bazille/Ace. Granted, both of these systems consumed a lot more CPU. Even at 96kHz this thing sounds very unorganic to my ears.

I only tested a few of the basic oscillators and various filter modules but those did not convince me at all. This is of course very subjective but there's just something about the overall sound that feels off to me. :shrug:
Well, when I listened to the demos on the site I felt the same way. Just didn't do much for me. But I assumed maybe they just weren't good demos.

Anyway, it's a moot point. At this price point, wouldn't get it even if it sounded amazing.

NothanUmber
KVRist
301 posts since 1 Jul, 2004

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:36 am

bmanic wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:28 am
Might be worth to try the demos of e.g. the VCF-20, Vult (e.g. Debriatus=Moog) etc. filter? These sound quite convincing imho. Buying every utility module at current single module prices would be... steep. But getting a few selected additional modules together with the "bread'n'butter utility pack" would be acceptable for me personally.

Edit: Perhaps the rationale of having more basic sounding oscilators and filters in the core package could be that they wanted to leave some headroom for 3rd party modules? Don't know.
Imho it's all about total cost of ownership - just sum up the prices of the bundles and individual modules you consider own-worthy/necessary for a viable system and compare the number you get with your personal "worth it" threshold.

bmanic
KVRAF
8108 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:05 am

I did try those. My main issue was with modulating things at audio rate and basically trying to create chaos. This is where pretty much all the digital modular synths fail, except a few like U-He stuff (but even here you can quickly get into territory where you need to run very high sample rates and use ridiculous amounts of CPU). Reaktor 6 also seems to deal with these very complex things better.. at least in my opinion. It all feels a bit less strained and disjointed, keeping some of that "liquid" goodness/weirdness going.

I have absolutely zero interest in purchasing a modular synth only to stick with very basic synth sounds. There are vastly quicker and better sounding options for these kinds of sounds.

Also, as I already have Reaktor 6 and U-He ACE this was merely a curiosity for me. There's literally nothing that can't be done also in Reaktor.. one just has to imagine it and build it (easier said than done though!). :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

dave dove
KVRian
859 posts since 31 Aug, 2007 from wales

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:19 am

I thought I might weigh in here
I use and build in Reaktor and M4L and thought that VM might make a nice little development project and be good for live use
I tried the demo the other week and thought it sounds ok - I agree with bmanic about the sound quality but hey ho, nice enough
and the overall package is good and I would use it live because of the low cpu use
then I saw the stupid amount for access to the development package - so I passed

I understand that this is a new company and how significant the investment must be
I don't even think the module prices are too high - I charge £10 for a high quality/innovative M4L step sequencer
but
Softube Modular is $89 (often cheaper) for a high quality core package + no SDK
Reaktor 6 is $99 a lot of the time, $199 the rest (+ loads of Komplete owners have it lying around) for a high quality core package plus access to the code and a huge library of devices
changing the terms on the developer package doesn't really make any difference to me as I would want the full package
it does show that Cherry Audio is listening, but also makes it appear that Cherry Audio is not confident in its pricing policy
I am looking at $250 to get in at today's 'introductory' prices - going up to $350/400 ($150 + $50 (if I want those drums) + $200) whenever those intro prices expire
that's too much

Dave

lnikj
KVRAF
1843 posts since 23 May, 2005 from the North Cornwall coast

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:30 am

I can't believe I'm writing this but this is one occasion where a subscription model might work better.

Return to “Instruments”