Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

fmr wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:33 pm Thanks :tu:

So, 10 days will be more or less up to the end of the current week.
Yes. I'm doing it Friday, to cover my ass.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

I've just started working with VM and the PSP bundle. I have run into resource problems - 2010 macpro macos 10.12 logic 10.4.4 12-core 3Ghz, 32G. Pretty much all of the PSP NAMM presets are not playable on my maching without a lot of crackle. Is this normal? I realize patches are going to require different resouces - most of the stock presets work fine. Any tips to over-come bottlenecks? :phones:

plexuss wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:27 am I've just started working with VM and the PSP bundle. I have run into resource problems - 2010 macpro macos 10.12 logic 10.4.4 12-core 3Ghz, 32G. Pretty much all of the PSP NAMM presets are not playable on my maching without a lot of crackle. Is this normal? I realize patches are going to require different resouces - most of the stock presets work fine. Any tips to over-come bottlenecks? :phones:
I have the same problem but it's not a CPU issue. I checked. There is hardly any CPU usage on some patches but certain modules produce intermittent crackling. Haven't figured out what's causing it yet.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:26 am I have the same problem but it's not a CPU issue. I checked. There is hardly any CPU usage on some patches but certain modules produce intermittent crackling. Haven't figured out what's causing it yet.
Does it happen as a patch gets more complex? Or is it sporadic. It's a critical limiting factor for being able to use Voltage Modular beyond simple patches. Is this a known issue that is being worked on? Cherry? :phones:

I've got a bit of clipping as some of the psp patches are a bit loud (remedied by turning them down),
and a quick crackle when changing patches.

That's it, they sound great both as a plugin and in the standalone app for me on windows. :shrug:

Here's something that's got me stumped.

When you load any of the presets, how do you work out what's going on? What are all those modules doing? And what is twisting that knob meant to do?

Maybe you don't care if the sound is what you want? But if it not quite what you're looking for, how do you decide where to start twisting the knobs?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:34 pm Here's something that's got me stumped.

When you load any of the presets, how do you work out what's going on? What are all those modules doing? And what is twisting that knob meant to do?

Maybe you don't care if the sound is what you want? But if it not quite what you're looking for, how do you decide where to start twisting the knobs?
Look at it just like any other synth where you would start, as you say, twisting knobs. At this point, it's no different from a fixed architecture synth. You have your basic components, osc, adsr, amp, env, filters, lfos, etc. The more esoteric modules? Well, you're just going to have to do some research on what those modules do and how they affect the sound. Most do nothing more than send control voltages in some manner, shape or form. But the main sound itself is probably controlled by the osc and filters. That's where you start. Then adjust the env if the attacks, decays, whatever, are too short or long. Don't let the fact that it's a modular synth throw you. At this stage it really is no different from Diva or any other fixed architecture synth.

DarkStar wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:34 pm Here's something that's got me stumped.

That's an expected "modular visual confusion" that anyone used to dealing with eurorack (i.e. easily/frequently switchable/changeable modules) is used to or has to learn to deal with.

So, I won't duplicate wagtunes useful post about how to handle it :)

...in the meantime, this being virtual, I've mentioned a couple of times that I wished the "Perform" section should be a rack too.
An expandable rack of control modules.

This would provide a more immediate and easily "readable" aspect of the rack patch by providing a more strict "tweak friendly" view of all the modules+wiring mess below :) ...without preventing the user from twisting module knobs directly or do more rewiring when needed or if wanted.

...so, for anyone listening in "Audio Cherry land" :oops:
I guess this is yet another feature suggestion :wink:

Thank you both (and for the FR sneaked in, too;))

Yep, I know or can find out what each module does in isolation; what I would like to discover is what role each module is playing (npi) in the instrument. If I understand the roles then I can twist the knobs with confidence. :)

Taking "Alien Drones 2" as an example. it has 3 Compressors. By setting Cable Transparency to 20%, hovering over them and tracing back the cables I can see that the lower 2 Compressors are working on the L and R outputs from the Mixer, passing their outputs to Amplifiers and then to the Main Outs. But what is that upper Compressors doing? Tracing that back is not so straight-forward. Or, what is the role of the Sample and Hold module?

Maybe I just asking for some documentation from the instrument designers?

A couple of questions about the Performance knobs:
-- what determines the knob colour (1-4 blue, 5-9 orange)?
-- how can I change the name?
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:15 pm Thank you both (and for the FR sneaked in, too;))

Yep, I know or can find out what each module does in isolation; what I would like to discover is what role each module is playing (npi) in the instrument. If I understand the roles then I can twist the knobs with confidence. :)

Taking "Alien Drones 2" as an example. it has 3 Compressors. By setting Cable Transparency to 20%, hovering over them and tracing back the cables I can see that the lower 2 Compressors are working on the L and R outputs from the Mixer, passing their outputs to Amplifiers and then to the Main Outs. But what is that upper Compressors doing? Tracing that back is not so straight-forward. Or, what is the role of the Sample and Hold module?

Maybe I just asking for some documentation from the instrument designers?

A couple of questions about the Performance knobs:
-- what determines the knob colour (1-4 blue, 5-9 orange)?
-- how can I change the name?
The performance knobs names are set by the control assigned to them.

If you want to change the name just double click on the name that's there and type in a new name.

id say for the more out there patches, you might have to treat them as if youre learning a new instrument.

doesn't really matter if you mess the sound up, its saved. if you change something and like it, save it again before you move on.
allow yourself the freedom to mess it up, repeatedly if needs be.

the nature of free patching means its difficult to keep a standard "do this" type documentation. in hardware land most patch notes might at best say "bass sound, change lfo one speed for wobble"
you get very little in the way of a manual :hihi:

While I was deadset against spending $200 on this... Seems I have failed miserably. :x
...As I bought the sampler 2 too :hihi:

@ vurt - Understood.

Now, how about this -I get some screen refresh issues when mousing over the controls in the toolbar (and in the Library / MIDI tab):

Cheery Audio Support wondered if it were a Windows 7 issue? OpenGL Acceleration is Off here. Windows 7 SP1. it occurs in the standalone and the plug-in.

Has anyone-else seen it?
Last edited by DarkStar on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inspired by ...

On Windows 10 myself, with OpenGL on. Never had screen issues before or after the OpenGL support :/

Seems like the PSP Poly Patch is muted by default, although it's not indicated.
I have to mute and unmute it to get it to work. Took me a few hours to figure
that one out. :phew:

*Hmm, maybe not the Poly Patch or PSP stuff specifically. For me its exhibiting
signal throughput issues in regard to the Poly CV, I can only alleviate it by
messing with the mutes to get the signal path open.

Anyone else having problems with Poly CV?
Last edited by pekbro on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”