Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to answer a few questions of the questions that were posted here. I'm sorry if I miss any questions - there've been a lot of new posts! - so feel free to ask again.

* Regarding problems with VM automatically downloading the update - We took a hard look at the code today, and we think we've finally figured out why the update process doesn't work for everyone. It's embarrassing, because we've worked on this code several times trying to fix these problems. Today we scrapped the code, rewrote it, and tested it thoroughly. What this means.. is that this code should work in the future, but still won't work right for everybody when the next release comes out. Oops.

* On this same embarrassing note, some people probably noticed that our Windows installer still isn't remembering the VST2 path properly. The good news is that this problem was finally fixed in the new VM 1.3.3 release. That won't help you until the next release, though. But at least it's finally fixed!

* "Do I get this right that enabling this splits the load (if possible) to multiple CPU cores / threads, so it's less likely than single core gets chocked with particularly complex patch; but the splitting and 'coordinating' of the jobs adds additional load compared to single-thread option?" - That is 100% correct. Due to the endlessly-flexible nature of modular synthesis, the overhead of coordinating the jobs is significantly higher than on a typical virtual synthesizer. Fortunately, we worked out a system that is as efficient as possible, but you will definitely see a CPU increase of some sort. On fast multi-core machines, though, multi-threaded mixing will seriously reduce overall mixing time, leading to smooth performance even on large, complex patches.

* Regarding free modules, and minimum pricing: We do have a minimum price of $10 on products, because there are processing fees the we have no choice but to pay. However, that $10 can include anything. There is nothing stopping anybody from making a bundle with 200 modules in it and selling that bundle for $10. Furthermore, we test every module thoroughly before listing it on the store, to ensure that the products that are available to you are solid and add value. We do allow free modules, but we currently limit free modules to 2 per developer. That may increase over time, but since the VM platform is still new, we want to make certain, for now, that our store is not flooded with low-quality free modules. Some of you may disagree with that choice, but we haven't received complaints from third-party developers. For now, we remain convinced that our customers want useful, interesting, and innovative modules, more than they want huge numbers of free modules.

* Yes, all developers can add modules to bundles at any time, for free. That's why Voltage Core owners are always getting more modules for free.

* Regarding module pricing: We don't set pricing of any third-party products, and we don't tell developers what we think their products are worth. If you're truly not happy with the price of a third-party bundle, the developers would probably appreciate hearing from you.

* Finally, I highly recommend FastStone Capture for screen & audio capturing. It works great in every possible way on Windows and Mac.

Thanks!
- Dan @ Cherry Audio

Faststone will capture the screen, record my DAW and record my voice off external mic all at the same time? No problems? Because supposedly Camtasia, Cubase and Voicemeter is supposed to work just fine (and it did) but it doesn't anymore. So nothing is really fool proof. I guess I can give it a shot but I'm not going to hold my breath.

cherryDan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:49 pm * On this same embarrassing note, some people probably noticed that our Windows installer still isn't remembering the VST2 path properly. The good news is that this problem was finally fixed in the new VM 1.3.3 release. That won't help you until the next release, though. But at least it's finally fixed!
Good to know it'll be fixed, hopefully custom locations for the standalone will be remembered as well. :wink:
* Regarding free modules, and minimum pricing: We do have a minimum price of $10 on products, because there are processing fees the we have no choice but to pay. However, that $10 can include anything. There is nothing stopping anybody from making a bundle with 200 modules in it and selling that bundle for $10. Furthermore, we test every module thoroughly before listing it on the store, to ensure that the products that are available to you are solid and add value. We do allow free modules, but we currently limit free modules to 2 per developer. That may increase over time, but since the VM platform is still new, we want to make certain, for now, that our store is not flooded with low-quality free modules. Some of you may disagree with that choice, but we haven't received complaints from third-party developers. For now, we remain convinced that our customers want useful, interesting, and innovative modules, more than they want huge numbers of free modules.

* Yes, all developers can add modules to bundles at any time, for free. That's why Voltage Core owners are always getting more modules for free.
I for one have suspected this was the reason for your policy and I surely appreciate the level of quality that has been maintaned this way and your dedication to quality control. Keep up the good work, this has turned out ever more amazing with every addition to the library and functionality of Voltage Modular 8) :love: :clap:

I see Faststone isn't free so I'm gonna pass on it.

If You guys are getting charged $10 per transaction, you’re getting seriously ripped off.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:09 am I see Faststone isn't free so I'm gonna pass on it.
Holy... just try the other option you've been directed to. Nothing will happen without your own effort.

Actually, I wonder why I keep answering your questions though I've learned more than one time that your will to try suggestions is a breath of wind compared to the efforts that one puts into helping you. :roll:

Gone soft wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:07 am Good to know it'll be fixed, hopefully custom locations for the standalone will be remembered as well. :wink:
Excellent question. This location is remembered in the *next* installer, but not in 1.3.3, unfortunately.

- Dan @ Cherry Audio

elassi wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:22 am
wagtunes wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:09 am I see Faststone isn't free so I'm gonna pass on it.
Holy... just try the other option you've been directed to. Nothing will happen without your own effort.

Actually, I wonder why I keep answering your questions though I've learned more than one time that your will to try suggestions is a breath of wind compared to the efforts that one puts into helping you. :roll:
Relax. I got Camtasia, Voicemeter and Cubase to work again. I'm writing down the settings so I don't forget them.

I wonder if someone here can help me with my Voltage challenge of the day:

I'm trying to make a kick drum that responds to midi velocity input (coming from a Korg Padkontrol.) Eventually, I'd like try finger drumming with a kit of several drums in VM.

I can set up the Padkontrol to trigger drum sounds ok, but I cannot figure out how to make use of velocity to control the volume of the drum.

I have a MIDI IN module, with pitch going to a Vintage Oscillator and gate going to a mENV. The sine from the Osc goes to an Amp input, and the CV out from the mENV goes to the CV IN on the Amp: but where should the velocity output go if I want to control the volume with by hitting the Padkontrol button harder or softer?

I have tried adding VEL as a 2nd input on the Amp, and I have tried using a 2nd amp stage with VEL in put: I can't get any dynamics from velocity either way.

Thanks for reading,

e.

Try a ring mod. Velocity into one input, envelope into the other. Output into the cv in on AMP module. You have to play around with the X/Y inputs to get the right behaviour.

Thanks, brick: I never would have considered this idea, it's working very well. This will keep me going for a while now!

:tu:

epiphanius wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:04 pm I have tried adding VEL as a 2nd input on the Amp, and I have tried using a 2nd amp stage with VEL in put: I can't get any dynamics from velocity either way.
Typically, velocity is done with a second VCA. It sounds like you tried that, but perhaps something went wrong with the patch. I've attached a very simple patch I just created to illustrate how this works. White noise is shaped with an envelope & VCA to create a snare drum-like sound, and then a second VCA uses velocity to control the volume. I set the second VCA to exponential response just to make the velocity control more apparent. Oh, I also added a filter and used keyboard CV to pitch the noise, just for fun. You can just drag-and-drop the .voltagepreset file onto an instance of VM to load it.

By the way, using a ring modulator as described works because, well, ring modulators are basically VCAs. Cherry Audio's ring modulator will color the sound when used as a VCA in this way. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though -- you may like the result.

(Also note: You can't use a single VCA to do velocity & amplitude shaping, because with zero velocity you'd expect to hear silence; but combining 0 volts with an envelope's output just gives you the envelope's output signal. In other words, velocity can make a single VCA louder, but not quieter.)

I hope this helps!

- Dan @ Cherry Audio
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I've found that sending the Env Out and Velocity to the x and y inputs of a Formula module using a simple x*y, then sending that to the Amp CV input seems to work.
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

Wow - thanks cherryDan for the thorough debrief, the detailed clues to follow, and for the patch itself: I'm learning lots here.
I can see the standalone version becoming a useful performance environment, for example as a hybrid with hardware modules.

KingTubby's response is also helpful - cheers.

e.

Return to “Instruments”