Tranzistow/Diodow

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trying Diodow now. Some nice sounds by Ed Ten Eyck. I'm a fan of his sounds for all synths. But is Diodaw resizable ? Not seeing any obvious way to resize and drag doesn't work. It's functional here but would be more comfortable if made larger.

If it's not resizable I never, ever want to hear someone complain about small guis again......... :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

EvilDragon wrote:
EnGee wrote:Anyway, I believe it can gain a good commercial success if there is an easy to use GUI. I hope the developer considers this :)
Developer considered this, but decided it's of no importance to him to make it commercial, not without some venture capital funding. :D

Hrast is a programmer by day so he's already sorted out, income-wise (hence no donation button on his website). Plus he created T/D for his own personal use in his own free time. Supporting all the different DAWs and plugin formats would eat away into that free time more than he's probably willing to.
Good point. The support and testing all hosts and OSes are not trivial.

I suggest then to make it skinnable. There are good designers that can make free skins or low priced ones.

Teksonik wrote:Trying Diodow now. Some nice sounds by Ed Ten Eyck. I'm a fan of his sounds for all synths. But is Diodaw resizable ? Not seeing any obvious way to resize and drag doesn't work. It's functional here but would be more comfortable if made larger.

If it's not resizable I never, ever want to hear someone complain about small guis again......... :lol:
It is resizable via .ini file.

Create a file called "Tranzistow.ini" and place it to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Tranzistow. Write this in it:

Code: Select all

[Editor]
Automation=1
Scale=125
First line enables host automation of pretty much all parameters
Second line is resize factor (100 being the default).

EnGee wrote:I suggest then to make it skinnable. There are good designers that can make free skins or low priced ones.
Making a skinnable GUI engine is also considerable amount of work. Note that Tranzistow is 100% vectors, too.

EvilDragon wrote:
It is resizable via .ini file.
Create a file called "Tranzistow.ini" and place it to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Tranzistow. Write this in it:

Code: Select all

[Editor]
Automation=1
Scale=125
First line enables host automation of pretty much all parameters
Second line is resize factor (100 being the default).
Ahh I see thanks. Why wouldn't the developer....oh never mind, it's free. A way to change colors by .ini file would be welcome.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:A way to change colors by .ini file would be welcome.
Already suggested that to him, we'll see what happens. The layout would still be the same, but choosing a color palette easier on the eyes could improve general usability for most people, I think.

BTW looks like .ini file works even if it's next to the DLL. I remember that before it didn't work with the demo, not sure if this is still the case. But it's safe to have it in %LOCALAPPDATA%.

Hmm I'm doing something wrong. The .ini file has no effect. I placed it in Users / Teksonik / AppData / Local and pasted the code you provided. :?

EDIT: tried dropping in the VST folder same result.
Last edited by Teksonik on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Needs to be in Tranzistow subfolder in Local. Can also try placing it next to DLL (but not sure if that works with the demo, see above).

EvilDragon wrote:Needs to be in Tranzistow subfolder in Local. Can also try placing it next to DLL (but not sure if that works with the demo, see above).
Tried that no luck....by the way I'm talking about Diodow so I tried making a Diodow.ini as well....no luck.

Created a folder for both Tranzistow and Diodow and placed the .ini files in there in AppData Local......still no luck.

Teksonik wrote:Trying Diodow now. Some nice sounds by Ed Ten Eyck. I'm a fan of his sounds for all synths. But is Diodaw resizable ? Not seeing any obvious way to resize and drag doesn't work. It's functional here but would be more comfortable if made larger.

See, it's not size alone. This synth, while relatively small, is perfectly usable because of the color scheme and contrast. The fonts are crystal clear and large. Unlike similar sized synths where the fonts can hardly be seen. That's the difference. In fact, if Diodow was the size of say, Avenger, it would be way too big and I'd have to shrink it because the super large fonts would bother me.

It's all relative.

wagtunes wrote: because of the color scheme and contrast.
The color scheme and contrast are the worst of any plugin I've tried in recent memory. Horrible gui so yes it's all relative. Shame as it sounds pretty good.

Anyway I got the resize to work. 150 seems to be the sweet spot, 175 just a bit too large, 160 for some reason is way too big.

The fact that Diodow loads with a note already triggered that requires a panic stop from the DAW or to load another patch is driving me nuts but it's free so.......... :?

Teksonik wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Needs to be in Tranzistow subfolder in Local. Can also try placing it next to DLL (but not sure if that works with the demo, see above).
Tried that no luck....by the way I'm talking about Diodow so I tried making a Diodow.ini as well....no luck.

Created a folder for both Tranzistow and Diodow and placed the .ini files in there in AppData Local......still no luck.
Ah yeah, it doesn't work for Diodow at all from what I recall. Only Tranzistow. Could be wrong.

In any case proof that it works here:

EDIT: You got it happening, yay!

EvilDragon wrote: Ah yeah, it doesn't work for Diodow at all from what I recall. Only Tranzistow. Could be wrong.
I finally got resize to work in Diodow. Not sure what I was doing wrong in the first place.

Like I said 150 seems to be the sweet spot (1920x1080), 175 is just a bit too large and for some reason 160 is way too large. Maybe it has to be in increments of 25.

If anybody's interested, i've found a new sampler that is command-line based. :party:

If you type in "format c:" on the command-line , you'll hear a sample of people saying "noooooo".
I've tried it and people were very responsive about it. I guess they liked the sampler.

EvilDragon wrote:Create a file called "Tranzistow.ini" and place it to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Tranzistow. Write this in it:
Works for me here. 125% bigger, Reaper UI view working, wonderful. Thanks @EvilDragon !

EDIT: Later, Reaper crashed from startup. I believe it worked earlier when I had added the INI file, removed Tranzistow from my Reaper project and then added it again. Reaper/Tranzistow seems happy with the Automation line removed. So for now, I can have a bigger UI. Need to explore further.
Last edited by cturner on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

Man this interface fights me. :? It's like a blast of visual input to the point of sensory overload but at the same time it gives (me) little visual feedback to the status of the patch.

I think it will be like Poly-Ana where the more you work with it the less you have to rely on the rather unpleasant gui. After awhile you don't even need labels or readouts.

But the sound is definitely worth spending more time with Diodow. It probably won't make it on to my studio computer but it will be entertaining on this system. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”