Your thoughts on Geist 2

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
OneOfManyPauls
KVRian
787 posts since 17 Jul, 2016 from Wales, UK

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:54 am

Saukar30 wrote:Thanks. I know its monophonic per lane... but it seems I was running out of voices globally. I had 4 loops going and some drums and all of sudden every now & then 1 or more or the loops would stop playing. That really sucks if thats the case because that either means:

A. Globally there is a really low polyphony in G2.. like maybe 32 notes

B. There are effects that may increase the polyphony for each pad ( I used a lot because I was testing... and I always push things to the limit when I test to see where the limits are).

These are just my assumptions out loud. I couldve just put too many notes in the lane. Ill have to check it out in the morning. I really hope Im wrong though
fwiw, I just loaded up 16 pads with single sine wave cycles, looped them all and pitched them so I could see their individual peaks on a spectrum analyzer and it handled that fine - still solid when I added a delay effect to each pad too.

Grizzellda
KVRian
517 posts since 21 Feb, 2015

Re: Your thoughts on Geist 2

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:02 am

I've got a demo of Geist going here. It is pretty sophisticated. Well, it is modern percussion software. I have other drum programs...this stuff is basically off the charts at this point.

Perhaps the critics are younger people who take this software for granted?

Well, don't :hihi:

BufoBufo
KVRist
163 posts since 23 Oct, 2008

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:06 am

mholloway wrote: in short, each note lane is monophonic. [...] every time a new note is triggered (again, per lane) the previous one is cut off.

It's definitely a limitation!
No, it's not. In both Geist1 and Geist2 you can change the Choke mode for every individual layer of every pad. Just select "Not Cut" instead of "Self" and there you are... polyphonic, overlapping sample playback per lane, all you want.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stefken
KVRian
670 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:43 am

plexuss wrote:So now with Geist I can do triphop. Golly. Knocked this one out in about an hour.

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/spheres
Nice one. Really enjoyed that.

Lotuzia
KVRAF
9779 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:58 am

plexuss wrote:So now with Geist I can do triphop. Golly. Knocked this one out in about an hour.

I'd say it has a great Lounge vibe, but maybe it's more strictly Trip Hop (I'm not very good sometimes at precise genres)

Anyway, well done, I liked it. :tu:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

shonky
KVRian
790 posts since 21 Nov, 2005

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:59 am

tapiodmitriyevich wrote:Well triphop, trap, rather snoozy stuff... But can it do Squarepusher? Aaron Spears? :D

Would have thought this would be possible, at a basic level, you can have eight breaks/parts playing at the same time, with modulation of pitch, repeats, filter cutoff and res for each individual hit or using sweeps in the lanes, then you can multiply this to ther amount of patterns for each engine, so you can create variations for each pattern, add in round robins on each layer in the engine and I think you could quite easily do far more complex things with Geist if that's your particular peccadillo.

Only had it a few days yet, so won't be posting any examples any time soon until I get to grips with it.

V0RT3X
KVRAF
7252 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Canada

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:55 am

Here's a quick demo using one instance of Geist and one instance of Hive.
https://soundcloud.com/user-841453413/geistly

Put that together in like 20 minutes.

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
10774 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:29 pm

I owned Geist 1 a while back, but it never really clicked with me and I got rid of it. I think my main issue was with it being such a small interface. Just the scaleability alone is making me enjoy the demo much more.

plexuss
KVRAF
2369 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:29 pm

Lotuzia wrote:

I'd say it has a great Lounge vibe, but maybe it's more strictly Trip Hop (I'm not very good sometimes at precise genres)

Anyway, well done, I liked it. :tu:
Thanks!

Maybe its more like Trip Lounge or Lounge Hop.

One thing about Geist is it allows me to sound like a DJ. That opens doors for bringing those kinds of genres into my music, if I want. It's also easy to sound like that with Geist so it's going to be work to avoid those cliches.

tapiodmitriyevich
KVRist
331 posts since 15 Jan, 2017 from 127.0.0.1

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:11 pm

The 100% sized UI still exceeds the size of my screen (1920x1200) a bit when not running standalone (it's from inside Studio One). Is there any way to make it smaller, maybe via some configuration file? Seems like for Geist it is an ancient resolution.
EDIT: OK I googled. Maybe resizing in standalone to <100% is possible, it saves the size also for the DAW session.

Grizzellda
KVRian
517 posts since 21 Feb, 2015

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:34 pm

I too, have become concerned with all of this scaling stuff...

I think it is the future of software, but we are transitioning now, and well, there could be some struggles as things move along...

Opinions welcome, but hey, no one on KVR has opinions... :D :lol:

Stefken
KVRian
670 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:52 pm

My 19 inch Eizo is still doing well. I only had a few plugins having issues with my native resolution. Geist was one of them. In general respected companies are using the right procedure. Supporting a base resolution that is fair considerig todays market and giving the possibility to scale up for people with large screens.

I think Arturia is doing well with their recent plugind.

Only had a few issues until now.
In Kontakt i have to hide the browser with a few plugins.

tapiodmitriyevich
KVRist
331 posts since 15 Jan, 2017 from 127.0.0.1

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:46 am

Grizzellda wrote:I too, have become concerned with all of this scaling stuff...
Solved: Resizing in standalone works and gets transported to VST/DAW.

The problem appears, when you make the 100% view Geist standalone too big so that in the DAW the bottom right resize corner (can only speak for Studio One) is off screen.

V0RT3X
KVRAF
7252 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Canada

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:27 am

MANINTHEMIDDLE2.BUNDLE??

I just installed Geist2 for my mac after purchasing the upgrade and found this new thing in the following directory.

Macintosh HD>Application Support>FXPansion>ManInTheMiddle
Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 10.45.54 AM.png
It has ManInTheMiddle2.bundle in it.

The name is kind of suspicious.

Anyone know what this is? Do other Mac users have this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

plexuss
KVRAF
2369 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:05 pm

I have it on my mac too. Would it seem more innocuous if it was called MonkeyInTheMiddle.bundle?

Not sure what it does. Nothing comes up on the google.

Return to “Instruments”