VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
1596 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:10 am

Geist who?

KVRist
389 posts since 8 Mar, 2008 from Berlin

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:15 am

The one feature that really makes it outstanding for me is the detection of sounds. Geist can detect what part of the drumset a slice is (Kick snare hat etc) and create a midi file from a drum loop that is quite accurate.
when you chop a beat to slices ableton Live or Maschine can also detect the rhythm and create a MIDI file, but ableton or Maschine create one MIDI note per slice no matter what sound the slices are, so you end up with that typical diagonal „ line“ in the midi editor if you know what i mean. Ableton can detect the beat correctly when ripping a wave file to midi but without chopping slices accordingly.
Correct me if I’m missing something
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

KVRist

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:18 am

clipnotic wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:39 am
Are they really want 50$ for a license transfer??? 🤣
Yeah that kinda sucks
my music:
blend.io/septimon

KVRian
693 posts since 19 Sep, 2007 from Germany

Post Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:32 am

Septimon wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:18 am
clipnotic wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:39 am
Are they really want 50$ for a license transfer??? 🤣
Yeah that kinda sucks
Well, then I won't sell it, because I won't give them 1 Cent again, it's better just don't use their stuff 😉

KVRist

Post Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:38 pm

Septimon wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:15 am
The one feature that really makes it outstanding for me is the detection of sounds. Geist can detect what part of the drumset a slice is (Kick snare hat etc) and create a midi file from a drum loop that is quite accurate.
when you chop a beat to slices ableton Live or Maschine can also detect the rhythm and create a MIDI file, but ableton or Maschine create one MIDI note per slice no matter what sound the slices are, so you end up with that typical diagonal „ line“ in the midi editor if you know what i mean. Ableton can detect the beat correctly when ripping a wave file to midi but without chopping slices accordingly.
any thoughts on this?
my music:
blend.io/septimon

KVRist
128 posts since 18 May, 2016

Post Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:34 pm

Septimon wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:38 pm
Septimon wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:15 am
any thoughts on this?
Are you talking about Geist 1? Because it looks like this feature was dropped in Geist2 - doesn't seem to be there

KVRian
1304 posts since 2 Jul, 2007

Post Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:39 pm

So much potential. Geist 3 should support Mpc files natively, also maschine kits, so when fx ever decides to update it, the transmission is a natural one for users of multiple products.
Cpu: Win10/Intel Core i9-10900K + Apple Mac OSX/BigSur
Tools: Slate VMS/Antelope Audio Discrete 8 Synergy Core
Synths: Roland Fantom 7/Moog Subsequent 37/Kurzweil Forte 88/Virus TI2 61/Behringer DeepMind 12D/Akai MPC X

KVRist
185 posts since 30 Mar, 2019

Post Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:55 am

such an incredible piece of software if you really learn it. unparalleled actually

KVRAF
2495 posts since 31 Dec, 2004 from People's Republic of Minnesota

Post Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:43 am

Yeah, but that’s never prevented Fxpansion from whizzing it down their leg, has it?

KVRist
185 posts since 30 Mar, 2019

Post Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:08 am

not sure i understand that slang. guessing you mean "doesn't stop them from doing other stupid things"

one thing i will say is... why the F*** is Tremor discontinued? I and a lot of people would gladly buy it. it doesn't make a lot of sense. I tried to buy it on KVR in april and waiting a week and they never transfered the license so refunded it.

now they just flat out aren't selling it.

and the original DCAM Synth Squad was cool. now it's just strobe... and Guru was good too!

KVRist
291 posts since 29 Nov, 2018

Post Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:26 pm

Geist is great for sampling/designing your own drum sounds.

I wish there were more synths capable of this.

Sea
KVRist
106 posts since 16 Feb, 2004 from Florida

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:26 am

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering... besides GEIST2, is there anything else out there in 2021 you would recommend?

I use Reaper and I’ve heard that GEIST2 is better than Battery and there’s also Machine but it’s pretty complicated I hear.

What I’m looking for is to be able to import grooves (like from Stylus RMX) and assign them to a pad. Then use the pads for like “Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Fill 1, Fill 2, Intro, Ending” stuff like that.

I also want to develop my own patterns and put these in song mode. Seems to me GEIST2 would do all this and more.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
SEA

KVRist
260 posts since 17 Sep, 2020

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:32 am

Yeah... Nothing can really touch Geist 2 at the moment. But it appears dead, or at least dying from lack of support. :( I still use it as my main drum sampler but I'm looking at other options now. I just haven't found anything quite as good (yet).

KVRist
418 posts since 11 Nov, 2010 from ny

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:44 am

Its not really dead, it had a recent update I believe.

KVRist
260 posts since 17 Sep, 2020

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:47 am

vertibration wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:44 am
Its not really dead, it had a recent update I believe.
Sorry, I mean metaphorically dying... Maintenance update I presume? I could be wrong of course but there's no chat about it on the forums or any news from the dev.

Return to “Instruments”