One Synth Challenge #108: Diodow by HrastProgrammer (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Welcome to the One Synth Challenge #108! It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about mixing, sound design, and more! :)

Submissions:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... 108-diodow

Want a chat room with other OSCers? Join our slack here

Tread carefuly. This is not what it seems. Inside, is a furiously powerful beast, and its name is Diodow. Treat it well. It has the following features: "4x oscillators, 4x filters, 4x LFOs, 4x 5-stage envelopes, 16x+16x modulation matrix, 4x delays, etc." Thanks to Guenon for the suggestion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPnC6d1X6zs

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a sponsor / prize donor? Contact me via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
Soundemote and Ridan is offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): If you would like your winning track on spotify, please specify so as well, or you will be contacted by rghvdberg.

Synthmorph: Any 1 soundset

KV331 Audio : Synthmaster One

Sonimus : Any one Plugin

Tritik : Echorus (effect plugin)

Soundemote : PrettyScope (beautiful analog oscilloscope), you may choose this as a secondary prize on top of your regular prize.

Audio Thing : Outer Space (vintage tape echo plugin)

NUSofting : 1 Copy of Modelonia v2 Synthesizer

JRR Shop : UVI: Digital Synsations (vintage 90's synth sample library and player)

Dmitry Sches : Tantra Multi-Effect + 3 Expansions

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

KV331 Audio : Synthmaster

Touch The Universe Productions: LuSH-101 Cloud Layers soundset

The FXB Project by alvfaria : Any 3 commercial sound banks. See the main site here

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

Wusik : 1 bundle of Wusik 8000, Wusik Station 8, and Wusik EVE v3

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Ghostwave Audio : Any two soundsets of Choice

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Rob Lee Music or here : A soundset for either: Sylenth1, Predator, Largo, Blofeld, PPGV3 or Dune

Luftrum : One soundset free of choice.

Ridan: Any one soundset as a secondary prize, on top of the regular prize.
haunting soundscapes, atmospheric chords, layered pads, anamorphic guitars,
brass and woodwind-esque, rhythmic/melodic sequences, and macabre sound effects.

Kreativ Sound: RAW Bundle
(RAW Bass, RAW Drums, RAW TranSID, RAW Textures)

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: Any 2 Soundsets of choice from the website (Uplifting Trance Presets)

Studio 13.37: Pro audio studio on a USB stick

Pooya Payvar (Stonail) : 1 custom made Max for [Ableton] Live: controller, midi or audio effect

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Bluff Munkey - 2 soundsets of choice

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
  • DiHalt Demoscene competitions
  • Indaba - Has a mix of popular and indie artists with various contests like remixing and song writing. Some people from OSC have had success here.
  • KVR Mix Challenge (see stickies) - Who can mix a song the best (Without adding extra recordings /musical additions)? Each person starts out with the same stems.
  • Music Cafe (KVR, see stickies) - A thematic monthly competition. Use recording, real instruments, synths and samples.
  • RemixComps - An aggregator for remix contests from a variety of artists and genres (mostly EDM) - indie and popular.
  • Skio Music Contests - Lots of remixes you can join (Mostly EDM) - big prizes.
  • Soundevotion (SDCOMPO) Competition - Even longer running than the OSC, the SDCOMPO is even more niche in that you must use a tracker, and set of specific effects. Great community.
Last edited by bjporter on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Interesting choice. Looks like I'll have to do more studying than a cursory look at the manual this time :)

edit - there's a manual thing further down on the download page.

It doesn't look like parameters can be automated aside from routing CC to parameters in the mod matrix, at least not in Ableton Live. Anyone else with better luck in Live or different DAW?

If you need a better way to automate CC in Live, and you have suite, you can use mine or Henke's devices (Henkes is called ControlChange8) or this one.

You can find some tutorials for its big brother Tranzistow here, although I haven't really looked at them yet myself, so I don't know if they are good or even useful. I found those in the local thread for the synths.

(edit: the tutorials for tranzistow does not seem useful to this)
Last edited by colonp on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bless you. This is a synth that deserves LOTS of love.

I'm in the process of creating an experimental/ambient library for this thing. It won't be completed until the middle of the month, but I'll make available what I've got done so far (about 100 patches) tomorrow. There are a few patches that use wav files so you'll have to avoid those. Just look for the patches where the sample parameter is turned up. They're easy to spot when going to the oscillator section.

As much as I love this synth, I won't be entering this one because I just have too much work to do. If I find some spare time at the end of the month, I'll think about it, but it's doubtful.

Anyway, I'll post the library up on dropbox. Actually, I just realized that if I don't include the wav files those patches just won't make any sound or that particular oscillator will be silent.

BJ, if contestants use the factory sounds, some of them use wav files too so they're going to have to be careful about which ones they pick.

You have no idea how happy I am to see this synth get some love.

Good luck to everybody!

Awesome! I've been refreshing all day like usual. Excited to try this puppy out when I get home!

Instant crashes in Reaper 5.70 64 bit Windows 7. Tried 64 and 32 (bridged) dll's, move a slider....crash.

edit: figured it out, nothing too see here :)
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Denied.. No mac version. Guess I have to find something else to do this month. :)

Consider doing one of those crazy mac workarounds for windows vsts?

Wagtunes is right, this thing is crazy! Not sure if I go 80s noir sci or experimental electric or jazz or what! It's like staring into a new universe. I'm pretty sure it can make any sound flawlessly.

It feels mostly stable on windows 10 64 Reaper (with 64 plugin), but it takes some pauses... Makes me a little nervous.

Interesting synth.
So far no crashes Reaper 5.7 x64 Win10 x64. Probably just jinxed that. :dog:
Did have a strange situation where trying to side-chain got all out of whack for awhile, no idea why because I used ReaComp they same way I always do but first the kick would still play audio on the sub-bass parent track even though it was on inputs 3 and 4, and then what was on 1 & 2 wouldn't pass through parent folder. And then it just started working. :shrug:

Am I understanding the information correctly in the general thread about the synth that we need to create an .ini file in order to use host automation? I forgot to actually test any automation when I was working with it earlier (oops) and figured I would just ask while I was here.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Are we allowed to use those patches using samples that come with the synth or not?

Darksynth FX wrote:Are we allowed to use those patches using samples that come with the synth or not?
Wondering that too.
Also what about using our own samples?
Personally I prefer the no samples rule (but I could be a minority opinion on that given previous OSCs such as Thorn).
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

functionform wrote:Consider doing one of those crazy mac workarounds for windows vsts?
sadly the aren't very practical for OSC.

There are people (in the minority) who do little or no patch design and use presets only. I think if that's all you can do, that's ok! Gotta start somewhere.

Strangely excited to use this synth, like I entered the Hot Tub Time Machine and woke up 12 years old again with an Apple ][ in front of me.

Darksynth FX wrote:Are we allowed to use those patches using samples that come with the synth or not?
Samples? If you're meaning the presets: yes, you may use them of course.

Chris-S wrote:
Samples? If you're meaning the presets: yes, you may use them of course.
In many of the presets, there are sample playback oscillators involved, using the included samples. There's a "Samples" directory in the patch folder, containing 47 .wav files, E0001-E0047. In my opinion, the same way Thorn was handled is best, i.e. using the included samples is ok (they were the "noise oscillator" samples in that one), but loading your own samples isn't.
Last edited by Guenon on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”